REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Have you ever

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Have you ever

Postby Chris Kuhn » March 28th, 2013, 11:43 pm

had a hard day fishing wondering where the heck the fish are, looked down and saw two fish right by your feet?
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Re: Have you ever

Postby WanderingBlues » March 29th, 2013, 3:45 am

Maddening, huh?
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby duckdog » March 29th, 2013, 8:05 am

THAT is why I always carry a pistol with me when I fish ! Kevlar wading boots suggested.
duckdog

Postby Chris Kuhn » March 29th, 2013, 11:15 am

The other fun one is when you are fishing behind your buddy and a fish is rising two feet below him. The question is would that be poaching if you cast right at him?
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Bernard » March 29th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Chris Kuhn wrote:had a hard day fishing wondering where the heck the fish are, looked down and saw two fish right by your feet?

1. Yes ... too many times!
2. I have also had my greatest angling moments when I remembered to fish before I stepped ...

* Trust that I don't learn from my mistakes as much as I'd like to ...

B.
Bernard

Postby RichardCullip » March 29th, 2013, 5:50 pm

I was fishing Lake Miramar a few years ago from my float tube. I was trolling a streamer about 30 out from my tube and had more than one trout come up an inspect my fins. None however had any interest in tasting the streamer I was offering them. I've also had corbina bump the back of my legs while standing calf deep in the surf. None of these had any interest in the fly I was tossing out in front of me. Frustrating for sure.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Barrie Mann » March 30th, 2013, 6:18 am

Benn there done that.....frequently ;) ;)
Barrie Mann

Postby Bajacamp » March 30th, 2013, 11:58 am

Bare foot in the summertime fishing in the Surf at Mission Beach. Stepped on a Stingray and got stung on the foot. Hurt,Hurt, Hurt. Now I do the Stingray Shuffle when fishing in the surf......Fred....
Bajacamp

Postby bassman » March 30th, 2013, 3:38 pm

We were about to join some other fishermen in a pool in the Manistique River in MI when my buddy was watching a small eddy just to left of the last of 3 guys standing in a line drifting. He tossed his weighted yarn fly into the swirl and immediately hooked up with a nice "bow". The guy standing must have almost shat himself when that thing started busting and thrashing the surface before taking off downstream.

On the Baptism River in MN I came up on 3 guys standing on a ledge of undercut ice in a pool with shallow water underneath the ice but a definite undercut. I went below them, flipped my fly up under their rods and drifted it down along the ice edge. Out come about a 4# steelie fresh in and nailed that fly, much to the consternation of those guys who had been standing right on top of an eager chrome fish.
bassman

Postby bassman » March 30th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Somehow, when I look at your post title, I hear it in a Nashville twang...

"Have you ever"

"No I never" :mrgreen:

Maybe a good country song starting there. ;)
bassman

Postby Chris Kuhn » March 30th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Bajacamp wrote:Bare foot in the summertime fishing in the Surf at Mission Beach. Stepped on a Stingray and got stung on the foot. Hurt,Hurt, Hurt. Now I do the Stingray Shuffle when fishing in the surf......Fred....

I have heard that is extremely painful and lasts for several days.
Chris Kuhn

Postby 8NoFish » March 30th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Wading the Yellowstone River near Buffalo Ford - two trout, about 1½ feet downstream of me were either using me for structure and/or feeding on the bugs my boots were kicking up.
8nofish

http://www.krop.com/ghiramatsu/ illustration gallery
http://ghiramatsu.carbonmade.com/ graphic design / illustration / Photography
http://ghgraphicfish.blogspot.com/ blog
8NoFish

Postby Jimbo Roberts » March 30th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Down here on the Guadalupe, we've had some really tough fishing the last 2 months.
Everyone has been talking about it. What are they doing? What are they eating? When are they eating? Did they go noctural?
The flows have dropped to 55cfs again after a little 2 week water rise to 600cfs and then back down. The water has been almost a glacial powder green, not really muddy or stained, but a milky light green. Visibility of about 12". This is not normal. Our water is usually very clear at least 3 feet visibility or more. And these fish just are not biting, We have good temperatures, good dissolved O2, good bug activity, but the number of strikes are way down from normal and for a long time. Yet the fish caught are still healthy, bright, and fat.

I mean right in the middle of a BWO hatch and they are no where to be seen, no rises, no porpoising, noone catching anything.
I going through different flys, different presentations, and I can't get a bite. I'm standing in waist deep water with a deep channel in front of me and a shallow gravel bar at my back. No fish are rising to the passing parade of little sailboats. What's wrong with them?

There I am all puzzled? Several of my friends around me just as mystified? As I change my fly once again, a Rainbow easily 24", maybe bigger, comes up to the surface, no more than a foot away from my torso. He pokes his head through the surface, all casual, almost in slow motion, as if just to look at what is there in the middle of his river. He passes by, then swings around, and comes in for another pass. Again surfacing right next to me swimming real slow. If I had my net in hand it would have been easy to scoop him up. And it was a him, his bulbous kype easily distinguishable.
And I'm thinking in my head "What the F@< & !!!!" "Why can't I catch that ONE?"
I turn to my friends and scream... "Did you see that?" They all bust out in laughter.... They know exactly how I feel. We are all in it together. Trying to get these fish with a brain the size of a pea, to bite on our imitations of the naturals, which have worked time and time again, but not now, not here, not today.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby 1mocast » March 31st, 2013, 10:34 am

When float tubing, They enjoy hiding under the floating Fat Cat structure. And just enjoy looking at me and laughing!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Return to General Fly Fishing