REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Carry weapons while fishing

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Do you carry a weapon when fishing or camping?

Poll ended at June 16th, 2013, 2:00 pm

I carry a concealed weapon while fishing or camping
34%
I do not carry a weapon while fishing or camping
63%
I try to always go with an off duty LEO
2%

Total votes : 41

Re: Carry weapons while fishing

Postby fly addict » June 7th, 2013, 8:00 am

I don’t own any guns anymore. I turned them all in for the $100 Penny’s gift coupon the cops were handing out. The government will protect us in any emergency, knowing that, I feel much safer without my guns. As for the $100 gift card, I got my wife a very nice vacuum cleaner and she uses it everyday. ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Jimbo Roberts » June 7th, 2013, 8:15 am

You think Texas has liberal gun laws, in Montana you can walk into a bank with a gun strapped to your waist and nothing happens! As I said I only carry when going into the backcountry, especially when I am by myself, which is most of the time I'm in the backcountry. I have been in some close encounters with Black Bears and Grizzlies and one notable time with a wolf pack close by in the Weminuche which was the most unnerving, but so far I have not fired once or even used my bear spray. It just gives me that extra courage to go farther into the wilderness and not be looking over my shoulder all the time, so I can concentrate on the fishing. Many times though, I just carry a sheath knife and my bear spray. By the way, I am qualified and practice with my weapons so if anything happens I will be ready. Not training and carrying is just asking for trouble.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby Waterborne » June 7th, 2013, 9:05 am

If you want to carry a gun and you're not a soldier or a policeman, you are most likely mentally ill.

I would never carry or use a gun for any reason. If someone threatened and took my life, it would be my fault for being in that situation anyway. The person who takes my life probably had a bad childhood as a result of racism, organized religion, military imperialism, patriarchy, and brutal capitalism. I would gladly offer my life and the life of my children to them, so they can have a second chance.

I also carry a full tube of KY with me at all times, so I'm pretty much morally superior to all of you.
Waterborne

Postby briansII » June 7th, 2013, 9:31 am

Waterborne wrote:If you want to carry a gun and you're not a soldier or a policeman, you are most likely mentally ill.

I would never carry or use a gun for any reason. If someone threatened and took my life, it would be my fault for being in that situation anyway. The person who takes my life probably had a bad childhood as a result of racism, organized religion, military imperialism, patriarchy, and brutal capitalism. I would gladly offer my life and the life of my children to them, so they can have a second chance.

I also carry a full tube of KY with me at all times, so I'm pretty much morally superior to all of you.

:funnyup: :funnyup: Thanks for the morning LOL.

briansII
briansII

Postby Sasha » June 7th, 2013, 11:18 am

Yes, I carry all the time not just when I fish :bananadance:

When I did live in the PRK I carried while fishing, camping, hiking etc. Not sure how much things have changed but back when I lived in Kern Co. a CCW was not that hard to get, now in L.A. Co. forget about it unless you're part of the "elite".
Sasha

Postby DrCreek » June 7th, 2013, 12:50 pm

charlie wrote:

Every bad experience I've had in the outdoors had been where there's been easy access... Get a mile or two up most high passes with walk-only access and the rabble is left in the parking lot.

I loved the entire post, Charlie. A lot of it sounded smart, years-wise and dead-on. But only one thing hit me a bit sideways... I can't imagine sacrificing my constant awareness for personal safety on the notion that the rabble (scumbags) will opt for staying in the parking lot. Not supporting any one side on this survey, it's just something that caught my attention.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby WanderingBlues » June 7th, 2013, 12:54 pm

I carry only when it calls for it. For instance, if the guy I'm fishing with has nicer stuff than me, well, what happens on the water stays on the water...

Seriously, though. If I'm local, I'm carrying. Too many shenanigans anymore. Treecatcher and I had a couple of rounds go over us last fall. I had my Glock ready and took cover, not knowing if it was a grow or deer hunters. Personally, I'd prefer not to have it.

For anyone carrying, I would say this- it's not a magic wand that gets waved and trouble disappears. You had better be proficient and willing to engage if need be. Practice how you will draw your weapon and obtain a site picture. Understand tactical issues and your abilities. And, no confrontation is better than foolish confrontation. Otherwise, you'll be hurt or killed and an * will have your weapon.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » June 7th, 2013, 5:08 pm

WanderingBlues wrote: ...I carry only when it calls for it. For instance, if the guy I'm fishing with has nicer stuff than me, well, what happens on the water stays on the water...

I *' knew it. :roll:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby WanderingBlues » June 7th, 2013, 5:17 pm

DrCreek wrote:
WanderingBlues wrote: ...I carry only when it calls for it. For instance, if the guy I'm fishing with has nicer stuff than me, well, what happens on the water stays on the water...

Nah, your SPL's are too slow for me! And you don't drink beer. Now, those early 80's era Magnum PI tight shorts you wear.........
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby charlie » June 7th, 2013, 6:47 pm

DrCreek wrote:
charlie wrote:

Every bad experience I've had in the outdoors had been where there's been easy access... Get a mile or two up most high passes with walk-only access and the rabble is left in the parking lot.

I loved the entire post, Charlie. A lot of it sounded smart, years-wise and dead-on. But only one thing hit me a bit sideways... I can't imagine sacrificing my constant awareness for personal safety on the notion that the rabble (scumbags) will opt for staying in the parking lot. Not supporting any one side on this survey, it's just something that caught my attention.

Good Dr., I did qualify my statement a little farther along in the paragraph by saying "for the most part" . I grew up on the streets of Newark, NJ and have done volunteer work in prisons, mental institutions and for vets with PTSD. The human condition is generally not all that healthy. I maintain vigilance for the snake lying across the path on a cool morning that may not give rattle, the cub clambering down the scree without Mom in sight, and the unstable human wanderers that may cross my path with bad intent. Avoidance is a good practice, but I know better than to be lax in my level of awareness. I must say though, I may let off a bit sitting in the Ashram up Tuttle Creek Canyon, rather than sitting in the midst of hard-core bikers in Death Valley Jct. :)
charlie

Postby Sasha » June 8th, 2013, 12:56 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:
For anyone carrying, I would say this- it's not a magic wand that gets waved and trouble disappears. You had better be proficient and willing to engage if need be. Practice how you will draw your weapon and obtain a site picture. Understand tactical issues and your abilities. And, no confrontation is better than foolish confrontation. Otherwise, you'll be hurt or killed and an * will have your weapon.

Quoted for truth!
Sasha

Postby 1mocast » June 10th, 2013, 11:14 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:
DrCreek wrote:

Nah, your SPL's are too slow for me! And you don't drink beer. Now, those early 80's era Magnum PI tight shorts you wear.........

:funnyup:
Some great lines in there!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby flybob » June 11th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Never have, probably never will.

Quite frankly, the thought of having to shoot someone or some animal is something that I would not want to have to think about when I am out and about!

My dad always told me, "never point a gun at a man unless you intend to shoot him, and if you do point, YOU BETTER SHOOT TO KILL!"

I own lots of them, I cherish that right, I respect them, I reload my own, and I am a darn good shot, at least on the range, but I seriously would not feel any safer carrying one.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » June 12th, 2013, 7:46 pm

It is not really a matter of “feeling” safe for me. It is more of a matter of having another tool with me. One that I may or may not need…
Sasha

Postby duckdog » June 13th, 2013, 2:00 am

The thought of pulling the trigger on another human being is and should be a disturbing thought. I have never been concerned about the people that I run into while fishing. I have been cornered by 2 Pit Bulls along the Kern and have talked with a deer hunter who had a pretty chilling experience being stalked by 2 Lions in the Eastern Sierra's. If not for a glance over his shoulder kitty no. 2 would have picked him off as it was only about 25 ft. away and creeping in on him. As for the pit's, they had me up against a rock wall and were working on me from different angles , I kept them off of me with a long stout branch from a tree. This went on for what seemed like a while but was really only a few min. Their owners eventually showed up and corralled them. If I had been carrying I would not have shot those dogs but would have put a shot into the ground to hopefully scare them off . I would have been tempted to shoot the owners though.
Am I really safer from kitty's when I am alone and carrying ? Not being alone would be safer. Cat's hunt for a living and I would have to be very very lucky to see it coming if it was stalking me. Chances are that I would never get that weapon pulled and get a round chambered. I am 190 lbs and a Soo Bak Do black belt but a kitty half my size would make short work of me. No contest really. But that said--- do I feel safer in lion country at dusk with a pistol on my hip ? Yep, just a little.
duckdog

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing