REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Do you use a water filter when fishing or hiking?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Do you use a water filter when fishing or hiking?

Postby rkfiske » June 13th, 2013, 7:36 pm

anacrime wrote:
rkfiske wrote:The article does point out something important though. Good hygiene habits in the backcountry are paramount and care should be taken when sharing items/food/utensils/water with other people in your group. I just assume that anyone in the group I'm with could be infected and therefore I take care when sharing anything between people.

Pretty sure I picked up Giardia at VVR...

No lie, that is a small reason why I didn't detour to VVR on my thru. The other main reason was I was afraid of my credit card bill when I got back home. ;)
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Eric » June 13th, 2013, 8:59 pm

I use the Sawyer Squeeze!!!! Don't like the bottle filters. And the pumps are to dam heavy
Eric
Eric

Postby Sasha » June 13th, 2013, 11:14 pm

DrCreek wrote:My own answer to the title of your thread... * YES.

First post nails it /thread
Sasha

Postby 1mocast » June 14th, 2013, 11:05 am

In the Sierras high country above the horticulturalists elevations, I use the Steripen, basecamp filter, and/or hand pump almost anywhere from a stream, lake, or spring.

Anything at or below horticulturalists grow areas, I try to drink bottle only or filter from a spring. This applies especially in some areas of California.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby charlie » June 14th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Yes , because you never know when that person that had the Mountain House Burritos for dinner, lots of adult beverages for dessert and 8 spoons of Medalia d' Oro in his morning cup didn't make it more than 5 feet from the creek.... Personally, I think it's spread by marmots.

Charlie
charlie

Postby meb » June 14th, 2013, 7:50 pm

I use a Katadyn filter bottle in locals and the Sierras. It's so simple and easy I don't know why you wouldn't use something similar. I had and intestinal illness that I brought home from a mainland Mexico surfing trip that stayed with me for almost a year, and I don't want to go anything like that again if easily avoidable.

MB
meb

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing