REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Do you carry more than one rod?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Do you carry more than one rod?

Postby Papasequoia » January 5th, 2009, 10:24 pm

I don't mean in the car as backup in case you break a rod or something similar. I mean carry with you on the river for switching back and forth. For example, let's say you are going to fish a river like the Owens which can be hot on streamers or on nymphs or on dries. And that can be all on the same day! I've tried carrying two rods with me on occasion, but it's such a pain in the neck wading back to get the one you left on the bank, etc. But I have been tempted to try again after some recent experiences with hatches coming off while I'm in the middle of switching around. Perhaps a 5 or 6 weight with a sink or sink tip line rigged with a streamer that can be switched over to nymphs and a 3 or 4 weight with a floating line rigged for dries that can also be switched over to nymphs if need be. I just find it a hassle to switch between all three types of flies while carrying only one rod and was curious how many others (if any) carry two rods on a big river where you can catch fish on all three. Jon

PS Replies entered before 8AM tomorrow would be most helpful (wink) but all replies appreciated! :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Do you carry more than one rod?

Postby Sasha » January 5th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Always, every trip without fail..........But it usually is not only for a back up. When fishing a place I like to go to for browns I will rig one up for dries and one for nymphs. Then I can quickly switch back and forth as necessary. Sometimes I will rig up 3 if I want to throw streamers as well.
Sasha

Postby Benny » January 5th, 2009, 10:42 pm

I have never carried more than one rod in hand, but then again I nymph 99.9% of the time. If I want to cast streamers I just cut and tie on streamer real quick. I might consider carrying a extra dry fly rod if I know the hatch is going to come off like clock work ;)
Benny

Postby RSetina » January 5th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Thought about doing that but haven't so far. It sure makes sense if you're not sure what will be working on any given day.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby midger » January 5th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I do when fishing a river like the Madison or similar when I know I'll be switching between streamers and dries or nymphs. In this case one would be a 6-7 weight and the other a 3-4 weight. I really don't like to throw flies like a meat whistle or circus peanut in sizes 2-6 with the lighter rods, and prefer not hooking large fish on the lighter rod. It is a pain carrying two rods rigged, but when the car is a long ways away sometimes it is the best way.

On local streams or rivers like the Owens, Kern, etc where fish size is pretty predictable, No, I carry one rod--generally a 3-5 weight.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » January 6th, 2009, 2:14 am

Nope, only because I've really only got one setup. If I did have more than one setup I would definately try it out. It does sound like it could save time and make your day easier.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby RichardCullip » January 6th, 2009, 7:48 am

While fishing out of boats, kickboats or float tubes, I always have two rods rigged up. I love the flexibility of having different flies (dries, nymphs or streamers) and different lines (floating or sinking) ready to go at a moments notice.

When on foot on a river I've only tried it once with disastrous results. When I was fishing the Snake River in Grand Tetons Nat Park last September I brought two rods down to the river with me one day. One was rigged up with dries and the other rigged up with nymphs. There was a nice evening hatch going on so I stashed one rod in some nearby bushes and proceeded to start throwing dries. The fishing looked better downstream a ways so I kept moving and chasing pod after pod of fish. Pretty soon I was standing waist deep in a nice back eddy a 100 yds or more from where I stashed my second rod when I saw someone pick my stashed rod up and proceed to leave with it. By the time I got out of the water and took up chase my 5wt Echo rod and sweet Galvan T-5 reel loaded with new Rio Gold fly line were long gone. I haven't seen them since that day. :(

The moral of the story is, if you bring two or more rods with you, keep them close. Otherwise they just might walk off.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby JR_774 » January 6th, 2009, 8:01 am

Hi Jon,

I do on many occasions. It depends on the water I am fishing. I have one set up for dries and nymphing with a floating line, and another with a sink tip for strippin those buggers deep. If the Owens is flowing less than 250-300 I think you could get streamers in the right depths with a floating line and there is no need for a sink tip. Thats my preference anyway. Good Luck!

Jr
JR_774

Postby Eric » January 6th, 2009, 9:00 am

Jon I just fish the Owen's with one rod. I will nymph almost 100% of the time. Still waiting to see that nice hatch to make it worth switching over to drys.
Eric
Eric

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » January 6th, 2009, 9:19 am

Eric wrote:Jon I just fish the Owen's with one rod. I will nymph almost 100% of the time. Still waiting to see that nice hatch to make it worth switching over to drys.
Eric

It's a dream come true when it does happen, in fact it still feels like it was a dream the one time it happened for me.
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Flyjunkie » January 6th, 2009, 9:52 am

I have carried 2 rods with me numerous times... I have been trying to come up with a sling or Quiver that will hold a rod in two sections already rigged... I have used Parachute cord and cloth, which sorta worked.. but need to really put some effort into designing something like that.

When Steelheading, I always prefer to carry a 6 wt. for Nymphing and a 7wt. or 8wt. for wetflies and streamers. and the Cord and cloth rig worked semi decent for that...

When working various rivers, like the Kern, and I want to fish Streamers besides Nymphs, I bring a 4wt. for the nymphs and a 6wt. with integrated shooting head line for Streamers...

On Pangas in the Sea of Cortez, I always have 3 -4 rigged rods with me, you just never know... ;)

I am gonna put some serious effort into designing a "Rigged Rod Sling/Quiver" this year... 'cause it is a great idea, doesn't get in the way of Fishing and will certainly prevent theft as Richard has suffered... (Nothing but Misfortune to the Thief Richard, nothing but Bad Luck for the Scum... :x )
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby midger » January 6th, 2009, 11:29 am

I also use a carrying case like the one Sasha showed and I have two that I keep rods in while drift fishing. Both are double rod capable and long enough to just break the rod (4 piece) into two 2 piece sections. I don't like the 4 piece ones for leaving the rods rigged as it seems the line always gets mucked up when I tried it. I use these for protecting the rods in the drift boat where folks are continuously tromping around and accidents can happen with exposed rods. :cry:

I've never used these onstream as they aren't very light and their bulk isn't that desired for backpacking (IMHO).

Too bad about your rod/reel Richard. Never heard of that happening but I'll be more wary now. I often leave a spare rod in the trees when fishing Idaho waters.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Jim T » January 6th, 2009, 11:50 am

Dean,
I too have on my 2009 to do list coming up with a way to carry a second rod broken down in 2 pieces. Unfortunatley, several of my "second" rod choices are 3 or 5 pieces. May need a new rod as well.

I thought I've seen some type of belt rod holder and I was thinking I could add some type of strap attached to the top of my vest. Maybe a little velcro strap to hold the two pieces together.

Let me know if you come up with anything workable.

Jim
Jim T

Postby briansII » January 6th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Like the others, I will ocassionaly take 2, rigged and ready rods with me. It is a hassle, but if I break the rod down into 4 pieces, it will fit in the back, vest pouch....sorta. :? Like Midger says, the line gets mucked up, but it's quicker to leave it rigged, than not. I'll take a rod for dries and nymphs, and one for pulling streamers.

I have seen a rod holster to carry a spare rod on you back. Haven't found it on a quick Google, but I have definitely seen such a thing.

Like Richard, if i'm in a watercraft of some sort, I carry a minimum of 2 rods. Usually 3, and sometimes 4 rigged and ready. Floater, intermediate, type 3, 4, or 6, and type 8+ to dredge.

briansII
briansII

Postby Chris Kuhn » January 6th, 2009, 1:52 pm

No but I probably should. Nymphing with a 6' 3 wt is a major hassle. But I still manage to get it done.
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing