REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

That Darn Floatant Applicator!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

That Darn Floatant Applicator!

Postby flybob » July 6th, 2013, 11:16 am

So, I am fed up with losing my floatant applicator to the fast moving creeks!
This past trip marks the third year in a row I have lost my Frogs Fanny Floatant Applicator!
This year, on the very first use on the creek, that darned little thing slipped out from between my fingers as I was dusting up my Stimmie Bob…….ARRRGGGGG!
For a split second I saw it in the water almost motionless, I almost dove for it, but thought better of it, just as the current whisked it away…..I am sure many of you know the feeling?

Fortunately I had and extra little ziplock in my bag, I emptied the contents of the bottle into it, it was awkward and messy, but it worked.

When we got to Mammoth, I hit the Troutfitter’s for a replacement…..
“Got any Frogs Fanny?” “Nope, just Loon Dust”…..ARRRGGG again…..that stuff is garbage and should be classified as a DE-Floatant!
What else was I going to do, I dropped the 7.50 for the garbage, as I did last year, and the year before!

So every year when I get back home, I get online and order another 4.00 bottle of Frogs F a n n y.

I was determined to not let this happen again, and every time I used it for the next 4 days, I was reminded of this, so when I got home I went to work scrounging around my shop and this is what I came up with. As I have plenty of these components, I may make a couple more, just in case the Zinger breaks…..Right?

Can’t wait to get it out on the creek and thumb my nose at those powers that seek the sacrifice of my floatant applicator!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Re: That Darn Floatant Applicator!

Postby lucfish » July 6th, 2013, 11:40 am

I see your engineering skills paid off.
lucfish

Postby Justin » July 6th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Nice Bob! I lost two this year already, and only been out a few times :(
Let me know when they hit the Flybob shop, I could use a few myself haha
Nice work!

Justin
Justin

Postby midger » July 6th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Nice job! Have you used the fumed silica powder? I purchased a gallon of this about 10 years ago and rebottle it into my old pill containers. I lose about 1 a year but I generally have 3-4 in my travel bag. Your contraption would keep one from losing any.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby fly addict » July 6th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Bob,
Now that's the way to fix the problem. I have been doing the same thing to my fly boxes for a few years and it has saved me more than once. Just remember that the zinger will wear right at the end point. Just cut it and replace with a new crimp.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby WanderingBlues » July 6th, 2013, 2:17 pm

You should contact the company and pitch an attached top. Maybe they'll incorporate it and offer up some love in return.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby 1mocast » July 6th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Bob, I like it! No more lost brushes!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby flybob » July 6th, 2013, 2:52 pm

midger wrote:Nice job! Have you used the fumed silica powder? I purchased a gallon of this about 10 years ago and rebottle it into my old pill containers. I lose about 1 a year but I generally have 3-4 in my travel bag. Your contraption would keep one from losing any.

Mike, when the Frogs Butt is gone, I refill with the Fumed Silica, I too have a lifetime supply, thanks to a very good buddy. In addition, we add silica beads to the mix...stuff is fantastic, it actually sticks to the fly! That LOONEY stuff just floats away in the breeze and what is left, ABSORBS water...... :doh: Lot of money for something that does NOT work! :fireangry:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Sasha » July 6th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Pretty cool!!!

Guess I am doing it wrong as I have yet to lose one :oo: :bananadance:

Then again I typically put the fly in the bottle, put my finger over it, shake it and then remove the fly via the tippet it is attached to.
Sasha

Postby DrCreek » July 6th, 2013, 4:55 pm

I see Crosby chimed in already with my trick... Fumed Silica.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Quart-Fumed-S ... 3cb87b0c02

PS... when the brush is out, how do you keep the dust in the bottle? Seems that gravity would take over (since its hanging upside down on a zinger) and spill the contents. Fly in left hand, brush in right. Bottle dumping contents in the stream? What do you do with the open bottle when your hands are full?
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby flybob » July 6th, 2013, 5:41 pm

DrCreek wrote:
PS... when the brush is out, how do you keep the dust in the bottle? Seems that gravity would take over (since its hanging upside down on a zinger) and spill the contents. Fly in left hand, brush in right. Bottle dumping contents in the stream? What do you do with the open bottle when your hands are full?

Opposing Thumbs! :P
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Return to General Fly Fishing