REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Check out my Woodie...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Check out my Woodie...

Postby midger » August 23rd, 2013, 4:57 pm

Mark,
As an update, I was in an Idaho Youth Ranch Donation store today and saw 3 racquet ball rackets for $2.50-$3.50. They all had the large teardrop shape and certainly looked like flyfishing nets with the addition of a different set of stringing. Sure gives one pause. Where did you get your net and did you or anyone else looking at replacement nets find one of the ghost nets with the measurement markings in the net? I did see a completed net with this setup, but couldn't find a replacement bag marked that way.

Thanks for posting this as it certainly gets one to thinking.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Jimbo Roberts » August 23rd, 2013, 6:51 pm

Tennis Anyone ?

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby ldr » August 23rd, 2013, 8:09 pm

Impressive woodie, dude.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby meb » August 23rd, 2013, 9:09 pm

That is very cool. I am going over to my parents' house and see if they still have my old McGregor wooden racket that is over 40 years old. What a great idea.

MB
meb

Postby 1mocast » August 23rd, 2013, 11:23 pm

midger wrote:Mark,
As an update, I was in an Idaho Youth Ranch Donation store today and saw 3 racquet ball rackets for $2.50-$3.50. They all had the large teardrop shape and certainly looked like flyfishing nets with the addition of a different set of stringing. Sure gives one pause. Where did you get your net and did you or anyone else looking at replacement nets find one of the ghost nets with the measurement markings in the net? I did see a completed net with this setup, but couldn't find a replacement bag marked that way.

Thanks for posting this as it certainly gets one to thinking.
Midger,
The replacement Brodin net was from Bob Marriotts. I didn't see one with measurement markings. And I think they do make one for a teardrop hoop.
http://www.brodindirect.com/accessories/

As to racketball rackets, what a great idea! They are short and perfect for our "boulder surfing" fishing. I would look at measuring the hoop circumference and see if Brodin makes one that will fit.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Baughb » August 24th, 2013, 10:15 am

What about a La Crosse racquet for a boat net?
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby 1mocast » August 26th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Pro: Nice Long Handle
Con: Cup...I mean hoop might be too small. ;)

The hardest part is measuring the inner hoop diameter and then trying to find a suitable replacement net.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby gabe » August 27th, 2013, 3:08 am

very cool. i should do this with my Arthur Ash racket if I still have it around...
gabe

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing