REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

How hot is too hot.....?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

How hot is too hot.....?

Postby Wildman » September 5th, 2013, 8:45 am

I remember when I first started fly fishing around 2003. I flailed for several years without catching a fish....locally or up in the Sierras. I finally started fishing with members of this and the Kern forum and the real learning process began. I remember distinctly how amazed I was that folks quit fishing the locals in the summertime when the water temps hit the 60's and didn't go back until the waters cooled off again. I'd never heard of fish mortality, even with catch and release.

When is it time to quit fishing?
What's your threshold for fishing waters based on water temperatures and water levels? 60....65....70 degrees? Do you think it makes a difference in long term fish survivability?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Re: How hot is too hot.....?

Postby briansII » September 5th, 2013, 9:20 am

This article specifically addresses your concerns.

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/trout- ... hot/771553

68 degrees is what the article suggests. Depending on the specific situation, I may fudge the number up or down a bit, but for the most part, 70 degrees is the number I use for trout. Which reminds me. I need a new battery for my thermometer.

briansII
briansII

Postby fly addict » September 5th, 2013, 9:24 am

When is it time to quit fishing?
What's your threshold for fishing waters based on water temperatures and water levels? 60....65....70 degrees? Do you think it makes a difference in long term fish survivability?

Personally I prefer it between 72 to 78. Much more than that and I’m looking to find a cooler place! ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby stlhdr » September 5th, 2013, 10:51 am

Honestly, I don't worry about actual temps too much...when the weather warms in summer I go above 8k feet and fish a lot of stillwaters. I only fish the Owens, EW, etc in winter/early spring.
stlhdr

Postby teejay » September 5th, 2013, 11:29 am

Considering the guidelines given in the article, I believe that some of the mountain locals are fishable in the summer months. I recently fished a local during a week of monsoon activity and the water temps were in the mid-fifties around noon -well below the 68 -70 range mentioned in the article. At the time, stream flows were good as well although the water was slightly discolored
I believe that opportunities for trout do exist locally when elevation, stream side tree canopy, and daily, on site, weather patterns are all factored in.
Jim suggested last year that I invest in a stream thermometer and I’m sure glad that I did.
teejay

Postby WanderingBlues » September 5th, 2013, 11:58 am

If there's a diaper hatch, it's too hot.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby BBH » September 5th, 2013, 12:07 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:If there's a diaper hatch, it's too hot.

haha..This made me laugh and almost spit out my coffee..well played sir!
BBH

Postby tree catcher » September 5th, 2013, 5:12 pm

Well if a bikini hatch comes off, do you stay in the same pool?? Diaper hatch I am gone, Bikini hatch and the hike has been worth it :)

But yeah its still to warm for the locals. Great hiking weather or bike riding weather but crappy fishing weather for trout :( I'll give them a month or more but when the weather cools off, look for me on some water. Look at the bright side, crappy trout fishing weather is great fly tying weather if you have AC and it doesn't blow on the tying table :)

Sean
tree catcher

Postby flocktothewall » September 6th, 2013, 4:00 pm

I fished a low elevation local in the early months of summer and was amazed at the rise in temperature in the day. When I first got there water was in the low 60's so I fished, by the mid-day time fish were not cooperating, so I left, I checked the temp in the same exact spot as the morning and water temps were in the low 70's.

I agree with some others, there are some waters that maintain a cooler temperature, maybe not as cool as would be ideal but still fishable. I don't fish as much locally when its hot, but I don't cut it out completely. I've had my best catches in the mid summer months on some of my local streams, one particularly right after monsoonal rains wiped out my favorite spot.

I will say that when it is hot, there are a few less options I am willing to fish, most of the ones I would fish are also stocked by DFW.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby flybob » September 7th, 2013, 3:23 pm

I personally have fished the locals on some of the hottest days of the year.....as long as the flow were good, they were productive days.

The only problem I have, and really puts me off, is having to strip off the salad after every drift!
And since some of the obsessiveness has worn off, I really just do not want to hike for 5 miles and sweat my bottom off.

Don't forget the browns can be pretty active in warmer water too.
In July I fished a well know creek up north, known for big browns and bows, the flows were pretty good but the water temps were way up there, and nary a bow to be seen or caught, but I had a really good day tormenting the browns! They were slamming the Spongebob with abandon and putting up great fights!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Return to General Fly Fishing