REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Sage Approach on Sale at Costco.com

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Sage Approach on Sale at Costco.com

Postby flocktothewall » October 16th, 2013, 9:14 pm

My brother informed me that Costco online has a Sage Approach 9' 5WT kit on sale for $349. I looked around and cheapest I found was $399 for the kit MSRP is $495.

USA made Entry level Sage Rod.

I bought one, who can argue with Costco's return policy?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Re: Sage Approach on Sale at Costco.com

Postby briansII » October 17th, 2013, 8:04 am

Costco is acquiring Sage rods by questionable means, and selling them at discount prices. Some say Sage is doing this on purpose, but Sage is saying Costco is buying the rods through an 3rd party/overseas distributor. Either way, it's undermining authorized Sage dealers who are not supposed to sell current models at a discount.

Anyone see any Methods at Costco. I'd like a 6126 or 890. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby fly addict » October 17th, 2013, 9:23 am

I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a Sage ESN 10' 2 wt from Costco. ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » October 17th, 2013, 10:03 am

A little more information on the Sage/Costco situation.

http://www.anglingtrade.com/2011/04/05/ ... fishermen/

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » October 17th, 2013, 10:30 am

I went on the Costco site and looked at the rod. Pretty good price for a Sage outfit, but the buyer would have to know how to set everything up--ie add the backing, tie the knots, spool the reel. Hopefully they don't take it to their nearest flyshop and expect them to do this for them. That'd be like throwing salt into the wound.

I wonder if they did the same thing to Reddington? I know it is a Sage subsidiary now, and notice they also carry a 7/8/9 Reddington outfit.

Although not illegal, it sure seems a bit unethical, or "fishy".
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » October 17th, 2013, 11:05 am

I wonder if it voids the warranty due to it not being an authorized retailer? BTW, I could use some new Simms G3's...
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby NorcalBob » October 18th, 2013, 2:19 pm

"Gray market" reselling is a controversial topic. Unfortunately, most of the major FF manufacturers (including Sage & Simms, to name only two, and they all do it) do sell their surplus inventory to the "gray market", especially to overseas resellers. Then they act all surprised and angry when someone like CostCo gets a hold of their products through "gray market" resellers and discounts them. I am a cynical and jaded curmudgeon and believe that the major manufacturers are doing this with full knowledge about how their "gray market" strategy works.
NorcalBob

Postby flocktothewall » October 18th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Well for or against, we are consumers. My loyalties lie to customer service and price. A few fly shops have given me both and I have purchased almost all of my goods from them, but if I find it cheaper, I'm going to buy it, especially when its more than $100 off.

I've always wanted a Sage, and found one at a good price, I bought it. Heck I bought 2.

A simple video on Youtube will suffice for setup with knots and such for the uneducated. Bringing it into the flyshop that were * would be a bit entertaining, but I would do that... :fireangry:

As an update: The first rod came from Ontario CA, so it was delivered the next day... It had a Rod/Tube/Reel/Rio Gold/Backing and a 4x leader.

So here is the down low. It didn't look "new" for the most part every rod I've bought had plastic over the cork. This didn't. There was no rod sock, so there were some scuffs on the hardware where the reel banging around caused. The reel itself had some scuffs, and a major chip on the seat. So returning #1 to Costco.

The fit an finish of the Approach leaves some to be desired.... I have 2 TFO Finesse rods they aren't great but they do the job. Fit and Finish is just a hair above those @175 MSRP. The 5wt I currently have is the Bass Pro kit model I bought before I knew I was going to get hooked on Fly fishing... compared to that, the Approach at its "Base Model" is leaps and bounds above it.

The rod is listed as a medium-fast. It felt very "Medium" to me.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
flocktothewall

Postby midger » October 18th, 2013, 5:06 pm

I've never had plastic on any of the Sage rod grips I've purchased--most directly from flyshops in years past. They may be putting it on now, but not as far as I know.

As for the scuffs, etc, that would be a no go for me if I was purchasing new and it would be sent back. Hope #2 comes in in new shape for you.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby NorcalBob » October 18th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Orvis, Sage, and Redington do not put plastic wraps over their rod grips (I wish they did). When I had my fly shop, I placed the plastic wraps on all the rods using a shrink wrapping machine. Every fly rod in a fly shop gets fondled by many customers and those same customers will not buy a new rod with a soiled grip!
NorcalBob

Postby flocktothewall » October 22nd, 2013, 9:27 am

Remembering back the words of wisdom from my dad, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

flocktothewall wrote:I've always wanted a Sage, and found one at a good price, I bought it. Heck I bought 2.

Both rods came with reels damaged beyond acceptable use and repair.

That was first reel's seat broken and twisted.

That's second kit's reel looks like it was ran over.

I called Costco, seeing as how the stock is now sold out, they can't replace it, but were willing to give me $50 off. For the price, that brings a Rod and Line to $300, the Approach MSRP's at $295 but can be had cheaper, and the line often is on sale or free with the purchase of a high end reel...

Thus... Sage and its network of Local dealers has no worries as to this competition... BOTH ROD KITS have been returned. I'm a bit sad, it was so much nicer than the 5WT I currently own, but the day will come.
flocktothewall

Postby midger » October 22nd, 2013, 9:53 am

Too bad about your experience but nice you can return them. I've found that you can get good deals from MRFC (Madison River Flyfishing in Ennis Montana) and even Cabelas has good deals on Discontinued Sage gear quite often. I've never received anything damaged from either source. You can also find good deals from dealers on eBay--both Leylands and Angler's Habitat do a good job with their equipment assessments for the trade up rods that they resell.

Last option, take up rodbuilding. You can make yourself a very good rod for even less then you paid through Costco for the damaged stuff.

Good luck in your search.
midger

Postby flocktothewall » October 22nd, 2013, 10:20 am

midger wrote:Last option, take up rodbuilding. You can make yourself a very good rod for even less then you paid through Costco for the damaged stuff.

That had always been the plan just have a "Honey-do" list 15 miles long, and half-done flooring project at home that I have to do before I can get started.

I tie flies, (not as much with a 2 year old at home now...) I made my own net... next my own rod...
flocktothewall

Postby DrCreek » October 22nd, 2013, 11:16 am

Sage knows what's going on, and I'm sure they're okay with it REGARDLESS of what they might or might not have to say about it. Look, Sage is a business. Businesses are in business to MAKE MONEY. Any business that claims they aren't is full of it. Old stock that just sits around is doing nothing except taking up valuable space - it's a lot of money not being made. It's just like a car dealership; when the new years' wheels came rolling in, they needed space for them. What did they do? They had a sale on the remaining older wheels to get them off the parking lot so that they could park the (full-priced) newer wheels that everyone salivates over. Be the first on your block to get one - or wait for them to come available at Costco for a reduced price.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby briansII » October 22nd, 2013, 3:31 pm

Sorry to hear how it turned out. I'm surprised at how much damage the reels had, and that the rods weren't broken too. Makes me wonder who/what/where Costco acquired the outfits, and how it plays out in the above opinions. Anyway, good to know you got a refund. I'm sure you'll find another rod to your liking, that's in the same price range.

briansII
briansII

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing