REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

I can spey cast!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

I can spey cast!

Postby bigbearkeith » October 24th, 2013, 8:05 am

I bought a 13' 7 wt spey rod and a 10'10" switch rod for fishing a special shoreline area that requires a cast of at least 100' to get to the bigger fish. After looking at videos and reading instruction books multiple times I m ready to cast these beautiful rods. Well that s what I thought! After many hours of casting I just wasn t getting it. My line only flopped in front of me. :doh: Obviously I was doing something wrong. So back to the videos and books. No luck. I was given the name of Cpt Bill Calhoun of ocflyfishing.com. He looked at my line setup and told me it was for an advanced caster not a beginner. So we started with his rod. I already knew the basics. With some corrections in 45 minutes I was rolling out 60' of line with little effort. :bananadance: After some fine tuning I was shooting line. Bill Calhoun is an outstanding instructor! Off to Marriots to buy the right line. Thanks Bill you have put me into a beautiful world of fluid motion. :bananadance: :bananadance:
bigbearkeith

Re: I can spey cast!

Postby fly addict » October 24th, 2013, 12:58 pm

If you live close to the LBCC, there is a group of guys who are hard core spey casters out on the pond most weekdays from 11 am to 2 pm. They are a very helpful and always will spend time with a new guy.
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » October 24th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Sounds like Bill is a good teacher, and you are a good student.

Out of curiosity, what cast(s) were you working on, and what line are you planning to buy.....and what line did you start out with?

briansII
briansII

Postby bigbearkeith » October 25th, 2013, 7:03 am

The first line that was on the rod was a 22' 540 gr floating head with 30 lb running line, too advanced for me. I used Bill s rod that had a rio scandi line. I bought a RIO scandi 31' 520 gr. The longer head gives me a better set. I obviously need more practice to be efficient.i also have a 10' 540 gr sink tip to add to the fray. We did a "c" spey then a double spey and then did some line shooting.
bigbearkeith

Postby briansII » October 25th, 2013, 10:04 am

bigbearkeith wrote:The first line that was on the rod was a 22' 540 gr floating head with 30 lb running line, too advanced for me. I used Bill s rod that had a rio scandi line. I bought a RIO scandi 31' 520 gr. The longer head gives me a better set. I obviously need more practice to be efficient.i also have a 10' 540 gr sink tip to add to the fray. We did a "c" spey then a double spey and then did some line shooting.

Thanks for the info. Spey fishing/casting is a lot of fun, but it's not as easy as it looks. I too struggled with the shorter skagit lines. It took a lot of practice to keep my stroke slow and short, to keep me from blowing my anchor. You'll get there. For casting, I enjoy a scandi, but I tend to fish skagits more often.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing