REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

the locals...some history...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby planettrout » January 22nd, 2014, 5:52 pm

Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Re: the locals...some history...

Postby midger » January 22nd, 2014, 7:32 pm

Obviously the fish in the locals were just as small back in the "good old days" judging from the stringers of minnows on display in several of the pictures. Of course, I doubt there was a limit back in those days. I know it was 25 trout per day when I was a kid growing up in Idaho.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Rasputinj » January 22nd, 2014, 8:55 pm

Very cool, I remember seeing a few pictures of my grandfather at east fork in the mid 30's.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby WanderingBlues » January 23rd, 2014, 8:17 am

Very cool pics!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fshflys » January 23rd, 2014, 8:30 am

Used to go up there when my kids were young. We'd put panniers on the bikes & the dads would haul the burley bike trailer with the cooler, cook stove & other essentials & camp out for an extended weekend, usually Easter. The daytrippers would look at us with a look of "How'd they get all that crap up here 6 miles form the parking lot"

One year, after the parents hid the easter eggs we went to sleep with a light pitter/patter of rain on the tents, we awoke to my friends son yelling WOW! we unzipped the tent and there was 6 inches of snow.While eating breakfast the guy that clears the road up to the dam stopped and asked if we were ok & would we like a ride out. We accepted his offer, the kids played while the parents packed up the gear. The decidous trees already had their leaves plus the snow was really wet & heavy. We'd hear the CRACK of a limb making us all jump since the area is known for Cracks of gun fire. The road clearing guy showed up & we loaded all the bikes, burleys, dogs & wet adults onto the flatbed while the 3 boys climbed into the cab with the heater blasting.

Those trips were fun, the daytrippers would leave the canyon usually an hour before it started getting dark & we'd have the canyon to ourselves (and the bears & mountain lions, never saw any but saw scat). Nightime in the canyon always reminded me of Japanese paintings with the sheer walls of the canyon & the pine trees atop them, the little side canyons with the salamanders. Just wish the you didn't have to worry if your vehicle had been broken into.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby fly addict » January 23rd, 2014, 9:05 am

Somewhere I have a photo of my dad in the early 60s with his 650 Triumph, a 270 Winchester rifle with a mounted scabbard and a buck strapped down on the back of the bike. He shot the buck while hunting some place off hwy 39 in the San Gabriel Mountains. I think it was either the DFG or the Hwy Patrol that took the photo of him along the canyon road. We lived in west Fullerton at the time and he would go up there and back on hwy 39 on his motorcycle for weekend rides. Can you imagine trying to do that today in this anti-gun and hunting frenzy we see in SoCal?
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fshflys » January 23rd, 2014, 9:40 am

Doubt he'd get out of Fullerton with the 270 Winchester visible let alone make it up Hwy 39
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Rasputinj » January 23rd, 2014, 9:35 pm

midger wrote:Obviously the fish in the locals were just as small back in the "good old days" judging from the stringers of minnows on display in several of the pictures. Of course, I doubt there was a limit back in those days. I know it was 25 trout per day when I was a kid growing up in Idaho.

Yes, but I have caught some good sized trout there years ago. I used to be able get some good sized ones 12-15 inches in bigger pools. That was in 70's - 80's, I have not seen big fish up there in a long time. Not worth the 6 mile hike for the fish, the view and beauty is worth it though.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Return to General Fly Fishing