REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Knot Strength--Tippet to Fly

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Knot Strength--Tippet to Fly

Postby midger » April 15th, 2014, 10:33 am

I started using the Davy and double Davy several years ago because of the ease in tying it. This interesting video covers several different terminal knots and their relative strength. It's nice to know that the Double Davy is not only easy to tie but also one of the most effective. I still use Duncan Loops when I want a free swinging fly but for my nymphing this is pretty much what I use now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBnuYu9P6yU
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Knot Strength--Tippet to Fly

Postby darrin terry » April 15th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Thanks for that video Mike! I remember there was a discussion a few years ago here where someone mentioned the double davy knot. I asked then, but could not find nor was anyone able to provide any demonstration on it. I'd had the standard davy knot slip too often but the double had a good rep. Nice to finally see it tied.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby midger » April 15th, 2014, 1:05 pm

The way the guy ties it in the video it looks more like a triple to me, but if it works that good, I'll continue using it. You're right about the standard Davy slipping--especially on fine tippet or when used to make droppers where you're just tying to the hook bend.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Papasequoia » April 15th, 2014, 1:09 pm

midger wrote:You're right about the standard Davy slipping--especially on fine tippet or when used to make droppers where you're just tying to the hook bend.

Why are you worried about breaking strength and slipping - you don't catch big enough fish that to be a problem, do you? :booty: :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby midger » April 15th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
midger wrote:You're right about the standard Davy slipping--especially on fine tippet or when used to make droppers where you're just tying to the hook bend.

Why are you worried about breaking strength and slipping - you don't catch big enough fish that to be a problem, do you? :booty: :lol:

You're right, I don't. Most of them are 10 pounds or less. Dinks. ;)
midger

Postby fly addict » April 15th, 2014, 1:38 pm

midger wrote:
Papasequoia wrote:

You're right, I don't. Most of them are 10 pounds or less. Dinks. ;)

Mike,
I think I see a typo, do you mean 10" or less or am I mistaking you for FlyBob!!! :doh:
:funnyup: ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby midger » April 15th, 2014, 1:48 pm

fly addict wrote:
Mike,
I think I see a typo, do you mean 10" or less or am I mistaking you for FlyBob!!! :doh:
:funnyup: ;)

Mark,
You must be thinking about Bob. Some of the streamers I throw are nearly 6" long.........

Oh, and I didn't say how much less than 10 pounds..... ;)
midger

Postby briansII » April 15th, 2014, 2:48 pm

midger wrote:The way the guy ties it in the video it looks more like a triple to me, but if it works that good, I'll continue using it. You're right about the standard Davy slipping--especially on fine tippet or when used to make droppers where you're just tying to the hook bend.

There seems to be some confusion on how to tie a Double Davy. While searching, I found two different ways to tie it. I don't tie it like the guy in the video, but that seems easier than the way I tie it now. :crazy: I tested the one method, and it was just ok using flouro. I plan to switch to the one in the vid. Thanks!

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing