REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishing Redding area June 20-25th

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby Fishfreak911 » June 11th, 2015, 4:00 pm

I am heading up to San Jose to drop off the wife at her cousin's place. I have to spend the night, and then I am free to spend five days anywhere I please in and around the Redding area. I have family that lives in Shasta Lake and will be crashing with them and possibly camping one night as well.

I am really wanting to fish the Trinity headwaters off of 299. I might make a trip up to the McCloud as well, to fish the Conservancy. Wondering if any of my fellow addicts up that way might be available to fish a day or two. I'd really like to share this with somebody, but I'm fine going alone as well. (Who's going to take pics of my 29" brown?!?!?!? :mrgreen: )
Also looking for Intel on any of the waters up there if you have fish there recently. Particularly interested in smaller waters and their water level conditions.
Also if you have any recommendations on where to eat or where to fish, I'd love to hear. It does not necessarily have to be in the aforementioned area. I am playing this trip somewhat by ear.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Re: Fishing Redding area June 20-25th

Postby flybob » June 11th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Greg, I would kill for a chance at a REDBAND......but in due time, soon,
And, it is just too close to the GTW trip, still lots of preparations, and to boot, Martha is going to Alaska for two weeks day after I return from the GTW! And NO, she did not invite me to go with her! :roll:

I wish you the best of luck up there Buddy, and look forward to seeing you the following week, bring your stories!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby stlhdr » June 11th, 2015, 8:21 pm

The headwaters of the trin are a long way from 299...but if you go above the lakes and do the upper trin or coffee creek you could have a lot of fun. Upper Sac is awesome above Shasta. McCloud may be 2nd most lovely river I've seen behind the Metolius. Pit is supposed to be fishing pretty well, but I can't handle the bruises any more. Ask what's up at the Ted Fay fly shop in Dunsmuir and they'll fix you up.

http://www.tedfay.com
stlhdr

Postby Ants » June 11th, 2015, 10:18 pm

I passed through the area a couple of months ago. If it were me, I go for 2 days on the McCloud and camp there to make it easier. My next inclination would be to explore around Fall and Pit River, Hat Creek etc. ( easily spend a second day in that area). The Trinity is an option, but it seems as you locate the fish you will also locate the crowds and Driftboat flotilla. The upper Sac has a lot of area to explore.

A certain amount depends on how you like to spend a fishing day. Do you like to spend a few hours and then move/drive to another spot or pick a spot and spend enough time to figure it out? Are all of these areas new to you?

It will be great fun!

Ants
Ants

Postby FIGHTONSC » June 12th, 2015, 6:51 am

Ants is right about spending several days fishing the McCloud. The beauty and quality of fishing encountered on the Conservancy waters is beyond words.

Truly a unique experience that will stick with you long after you have left and moved on!

The other benefit is as mentioned, the close proximity of the Hat, Pit and Fall Rivers.

Good luck on your journey.

Regards,

Jeff

P.S. Greg, I might add that the Pit was the most difficult river I have ever waded (huge slick boulders ) . Also , we did run into several rattlers while making our way in and out to the river. We fished it in mid July.
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby lucfish » June 12th, 2015, 7:30 am

Do what Stlhdr and Ants wrote and you can't go wrong.
lucfish

Postby tomsakai » June 12th, 2015, 9:24 am

Greg I'm going to be up there, drift boat fishing the Fall River with three friends, with guides, 22, 23, and 24. We can at least share info. You have my cell?
tomsakai

Postby Rasputinj » June 12th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Good luck Greg, I hit the Klammath with Ants and lower Sac all on drift boats in October. I would hit up Ted and make sure to give the McCloud a chance and you are pretty hardcore so I think you would handle the Pit just fine. Just don't be an idiot like me and break a fall with a beautiful Sierra Net that somehow you were able to fix.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby fly addict » June 12th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Greg,
I fished the U Sac in late June one year, Golden Stones were buzzing around in the evening hours before dark. If you hit it just right it can be epic the last hour of light. I already have a trip planned with Kathi the last week of June or I would go with you.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Ants » June 12th, 2015, 7:19 pm

The basin that contains the Fall River, Pit River, Hat Creek, etc looks like one big basin without much drainage. The first impression is far from true. The erosion and elevation drops are significant to figuring out your fishing options. When I stayed in the town of Fall River, a tourist map was available that showed only the waterways and access roads. Wow! The area has drainage like a plate of spaghetti.

To appreciate the flows, it may be useful to take a map of the area, highlight the streams and put arrows in the direction of the flows. The flows are not obvious. The flow and water direction should help in understanding what is happening.

Ants
Ants

Postby FishFlogger » June 13th, 2015, 5:41 pm

I fished the area in early May. I got a lot of good info and a couple of local fishing maps from The Fly Shop in Redding.
FishFlogger

Return to General Fly Fishing