REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly tyers in Afghanistan need gear.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly tyers in Afghanistan need gear.

Postby fly addict » February 1st, 2016, 8:24 am

I saw this on FB and thought I would share it here. This is his FB page, https://www.facebook.com/derek.barr.921?fref=ufi

‎Derek Barr‎ to The Fly Fishing Community
2 hrs ·
Ok fly fishing community, I am here to ask a favor. I have run out of tying materials and hooks here in Afghanistan. I have been teaching other avid fisherman to tie up fly's. Its to costly for me to continue this, but spreading this love I have for fly fishing is very important, I wish to continue teaching others here in Afghanistan. So the favor I am asking is there anyone willing to donate some materials and such. Old vices, feathers, dubbing, hooks, and so on.. I know most will look at this as trying to get a free hand out. I would personally buy the material myself but I can not afford such amount of stuff. So everyone knows, I am in 4th Infantry Division out of Colorado Springs. But currently deployed in Afghanistan. Thanks for even looking at this post. Tight Lines Everyone.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Re: Fly tyers in Afghanistan need gear.

Postby Wildman » February 1st, 2016, 9:34 am

Does he list an APO as an address to mail stuff to? I was in the 4th Infantry Div for 28 months back in the day.

Is there a way you can share the actual FB post (just click share with your friends). Be curious to see it as there doesn't seem to be any current service pics other then 2015 on his page.

This is exactly what we did for Blu and Dustin Hinds. If we can vet it, I am sure that we can help the guy out.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fly addict » February 1st, 2016, 10:14 am

Jim,
I'll share it to my FB page, I don't know why I didn't think of that. :doh:
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Wildman » February 1st, 2016, 2:39 pm

Spoke with the guy and he is legit. He seems to be in a base camp situation so storage doesn't seem to be a problem. I have his email and address is anyone would like to send something along. You might ask and see what he needs. PM me for info.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby stanbery » February 2nd, 2016, 7:08 pm

Mark
Can you post his facebook page here please
Thanks
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery