REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Advice on Off Road Rescue Gear

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Advice on Off Road Rescue Gear

Postby John Harper » February 9th, 2017, 5:56 pm

I'm headed into the Sierra's of Baja California in April, Mike's Sky Rancho area. I am going after the rare Santo Domingo trout of Baja. The Rio San Rafael has a population of these rare fish. My original plan to go to the Santo Domingo fell thru when Meling Ranch does not offer horsepack trips to the source river any longer (so far). Backpacking alone into the remote drainage seemed ill advised, although I was really tempted. So, Mike's Sky Rancho and the (transplanted) San Rafael it is!

I may need to fix a tire or get towed. I have all the tire repair stuff but need some kind of jack that will work on various types dirt roads (stock jack is lame bottle jack) and a suggestion on a tow strap. I heard 30 foot is good.

I see those red Jeep style jacks, but not sure how they would work on a pickup with basic H frame. I was thinking of a scissors jack with some pads welded to it perhaps. I got time, and access to a good welder.

A good recommendation on a tow strap would be good too. I have to cross the San Rafael, and it may be flowing well after this winter.

John
John Harper

Re: Advice on Off Road Rescue Gear

Postby BrownBear » February 10th, 2017, 7:24 am

I wouldn't use the red ones (Handyman) on a pickup unless the bumper is reinforced. My brother spent a lot of time down there and was happiest with a small "floor" jack reminiscent of what you see in repair shops. Flat enough to get under an axle even when buried, but quick enough to be worthy.

One thing I'd add is a "winch," whether a come-along or a bumper winch. We're especially happy with the rope come along. Priceless. I wouldn't go anywhere in the desert without adding an 8-pound anchor to my winch setup. No trees or rocks needed to tie your winch to. Just run the line out, set the anchor flukes into the ground and pile a few rocks on it to help keep them buried. Another on the priceless list.
BrownBear

Postby John Harper » February 10th, 2017, 8:51 am

Yes, I was thinking of a floor jack, I have two in my garage. Most of the road in is supposed to be "graded" although in Baja you never know what to expect. Especially if they got more rainfall this year as we have in Alta California.

Going to look for some Ford Ranger forums, see what kind of towing hooks I can maybe find. I want to avoid using the bumpers.

John
John Harper

Postby DrCreek » February 10th, 2017, 12:36 pm

John Harper wrote:
A good recommendation on a tow strap would be good too. I have to cross the San Rafael, and it may be flowing well after this winter.

John

I assume there will be a 2nd 4WD vehicle along with you? I have a great recovery strap and two clevis joints that you're welcome to borrow. No need buying them just for this trip - unless you plan on doing more of this stuff I guess. Let me know.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby John Harper » February 10th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Mike,

Probably just my 2WD Ranger. Most sources I've found say a high clearance 2WD should not have a problem. I'm more concerned about crossing the San Rafael just before Mike's Sky Rancho. I'm looking into best way to hook up to truck if necessary.

What's the brand of your strap and how long is it? I figure one would be good to have onboard in any case, I'll probably buy one and just keep with my other road repair gear.

The rope come along looks like a good idea too.

John
John Harper

Postby Ants » February 10th, 2017, 9:50 pm

Hi John,

I drive a two wheel drive pickup.

One essential I take as I travel along are cable chains, not just for snow, but for gnarly conditions. With 2WD, weight over the rear tires is very helpful. Depending on what total weight you are carrying, more weight may not be needed. If you don't want to carry full water jugs to help, a half-dozen (or dozen) empty sand bags can usually be easily filled with a shovel. Shovels and patient dirt movement can avoid bigger predicaments with road washouts.

I find chains work best when being cautious and installing before the questionable road conditions.

I also have a 1,500 lb electric winch for drift boat retrieval. It mounts on a plate that slips into the trailer hitch receiver. The only problematic detail is running electricity from battery to mounting. I found jumper cables were a little short a dedicated set of wires for temporary use is not convenient.

The trip sounds like fun. I have enjoyed Baja by boat, airplane, truck, and motorcycle. It is nice to be self-supporting, but help has always been abundant when needed.

Ants
Ants

Postby DrCreek » February 11th, 2017, 12:02 pm

John Harper wrote:Mike,

Probably just my 2WD Ranger. Most sources I've found say a high clearance 2WD should not have a problem. I'm more concerned about crossing the San Rafael just before Mike's Sky Rancho. I'm looking into best way to hook up to truck if necessary.

What's the brand of your strap and how long is it? I figure one would be good to have onboard in any case, I'll probably buy one and just keep with my other road repair gear.

The rope come along looks like a good idea too.

John

I think its 20'...no idea what brand. Its a fat thick yellow thing.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby 87TT » February 20th, 2017, 7:51 pm

No one mentioned it but I would never go into a questionable road without a full size shovel.
87TT

Postby John Harper » February 21st, 2017, 7:22 am

87TT wrote:No one mentioned it but I would never go into a questionable road without a full size shovel.

Here's my list so far:

Shovel
Gloves
Duct Tape
Recovery Strap*
2 ton scissor jack (in addition to stock bottle jack)*
Rear Receiver Hitch (frame mounted)*
2 x Receiver insert w/D Shackles*
Viair 85P Tire inflator (highly rated!)*
Tire plug kit
Slime
Tire gauge/deflator
2" x 10" boards for use with jack
Jackstand
Gas siphon
Gas can
Tools (always onboard!)
Jumper cables

* items I added to what I already have.

Thanks for all the advice!

John
John Harper

Postby Wildman » February 21st, 2017, 9:16 am

I am not an avid off road guy but driven 4wd vehicles since the service. I see the hard core guys with at least two spares in the back of the truck. That would give me two shots before I had to learn how to plug a tire. Not sure if that is an option for you but certainly will be a long way from AAA service. Looking forward to reading your adventure
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby John Harper » February 21st, 2017, 9:45 am

Wildman wrote:I am not an avid off road guy but driven 4wd vehicles since the service. I see the hard core guys with at least two spares in the back of the truck. That would give me two shots before I had to learn how to plug a tire. Not sure if that is an option for you but certainly will be a long way from AAA service. Looking forward to reading your adventure

I've plugged tires before, it's not that difficult, but bringing some Slime as well. Having a good inflator should make either task easier to manage. Much easier to plug an inflated tire. Not planning on setting a speed record into the ranch, just slow and easy.

I would imagine my usual spring break spot of the LO is likely gonna be flowing huuuuge and bigly around April 10-14 this year, so why not try something different. It's only 20 something miles off road, and likely others traveling the road. They have to get beer and supplies out to the the hotel somehow on a regular basis, I would think.

John
John Harper

Postby 209er » February 24th, 2017, 9:46 am

If you haven't left yet, Global Rescue! :bananadance: Especially in boonies and Mexico! Hope there's cell service! :oo:
209er

Postby John Harper » February 24th, 2017, 4:16 pm

209er wrote:If you haven't left yet, Global Rescue! :bananadance: Especially in boonies and Mexico! Hope there's cell service! :oo:

No, not till week of April 10-14. I know I called the rancho a couple weeks ago so not sure about cell connection or landline, but who knows. I'm obviously hoping cell towers somewhere, because my roommate already has Mex service and I can add to my phone for $5/month upgrade.

I'm starting to wonder about mud more than sand as an issue if we keep getting rain. It will be fun either way.

John
John Harper

Postby NorcalBob » February 24th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Good luck with your adventure. And we want pics (lotsa them)!!!!! :bananadance:
NorcalBob

Postby Sparky of SoCal » February 26th, 2017, 3:21 pm

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

No matter where on Earth with or without cell service you can send text or email. It also pings as little as 10 minutes your location.
Sparky of SoCal

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing