REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Be careful out there guys!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Be careful out there guys!

Postby castaway » May 30th, 2009, 9:21 pm

So I got to hit the creeks with our own Bullethead (Clark) on friday...

Two important reminders... ALWAYS check the weather report, regardless of how the weather is today... tomorow can be much different.

What a show on Thursday night!! a once in twenty year lightning show... The fire crews were busy...

Also.. I had a really bad accident, and feel fortunate to be alive.

I was standing on a cliff when the rock I was standing on gave way.... so that would be bad enough with all the scrapes and bumps...

but the worst part --- a large (40 pounds or so) rock landed on my head - it caused me to loose motor control of my body... and my body went into some sort of weird paralyzed posture... my hands and arms got all postured and stiff and my entire body felt like it was being electrocuted... and I could not move (I guess its what they call "a stinger" - it happens to football players alot) after about 5-10 seconds I was able to move and gather myself... but it cut our fishing day short.

I was planning on doing more solo trips and even some solo backpacking trips... but I think I will not be taking that risk.

Just be careful out there guys!! it only takes once....

I would post some pictures... but my head does not feel good...

I was surprised that the hot fly ended up being a small white streamer, with red tied in at the head..... went to the creek to toss hoppers... but the cold weather and swollen flows made the dry fly action non-exsistant.

2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Re: Be careful out there guys!

Postby Justin » May 30th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Dude WOW I'm glad you're o.k.!!
Thanks for the reminder. I rarely do solo trips anymore.

Justin
Justin

Postby anacrime » May 30th, 2009, 9:35 pm

just a reminder, you're tens of thousands times more likely to die / get injured on the way to the woods. there aren't too many safer environments than being alone in the woods 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby midger » May 30th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Glad you're okay. I think the message is to use caution and think about what you are doing. I fish most of the time by myself, and will continue to do so as it is too difficult to set up play dates every week. However, I wade carefully and try to avoid putting myself into situations that could kill me.

Sorry about your situation and hope your head heals quickly. I would go see a doctor though to make sure there is no internal bleeding ala the actress that fell skiing this year who died later due to the injury--Richardson, I believe?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Papasequoia » May 30th, 2009, 11:24 pm

castaway wrote: it caused me to loose motor control of my body... and my body went into some sort of weird paralyzed posture... my hands and arms got all postured and stiff and my entire body felt like it was being electrocuted... and I could not move (I guess its what they call "a stinger" - it happens to football players alot) after about 5-10 seconds I was able to move and gather myself... but it cut our fishing day short.

Dude, I thought you were like that all the time??? Just kidding, glad to hear you are ok.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby darrin terry » May 31st, 2009, 12:03 am

anacrime wrote:just a reminder, you're tens of thousands times more likely to die / get injured on the way to the woods. there aren't too many safer environments than being alone in the woods 8-)

I must say I disagree with Shane on this one. Or rather disagree with what he seems to be saying. There are certainly more risks or dangers in the places we live and on the roads headed to the places we fish.

That said, don't disregard the real risks we deal with while fishing. Rocks are slick and roll from under foot. Broken bones and skulls are a real danger and you don't have to be standing on a cliff when the ground gives way. Anglers drown, get killed by predators, get struck by falling rocks, get caught up in rock slides, slip in creeks/rivers. It's part of being in the wild.

Are these thing bound to happen to us every time we go out? No. Should we continue going out there? * yes. I am just saying that we should all recognize the possible dangers, decide whether or not they are acceptable, make decisions towards being prepared for dealing with them, and keep fishing. Anyone that goes into the backcountry, even a little ways, without considering the unlikely but real possibilities, is a bit of a fool. Hopefully a fool that never has to deal with those things.

Oh, let's not forget altitude sickness & dehydration. Two other hazards we face when fishing in some of the places we go.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » May 31st, 2009, 1:38 am

Darrin Terry wrote:There are certainly more risks or dangers in the places we live and on the roads headed to the places we fish.
this is what i was trying to say my friend 8-)

there are definitely risks involved, but no matter which way you slice it, driving on the 405 is riskier. it's not even close.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby Flyjunkie » May 31st, 2009, 6:55 am

anacrime wrote:
Darrin Terry wrote:There are certainly more risks or dangers in the places we live and on the roads headed to the places we fish.
this is what i was trying to say my friend 8-)

there are definitely risks involved, but no matter which way you slice it, driving on the 405 is riskier. it's not even close.

At least on the 405 Paramedics can find you quickly... If You're out in the wilds a good distance from Your Auto and you have an accident... How quick do You think the Paramedics will find You???

Life is Risky... Period... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby midger » May 31st, 2009, 7:00 am

Flyjunkie wrote:

Yepper, then you die. Might as well die doing something you enjoy, eh?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby RichardCullip » May 31st, 2009, 7:02 am

Thanks for the reminder, Bill. Let's be careful out there (and even more careful on the way to there ;) )

I'm glad you survived your encounter with nature.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Benny » May 31st, 2009, 7:41 am

Your very fortunate you weren't killed Bill. Even a small one pound rock could kill you, I can't fathom a forty pound rock hitting anyone on the head. crap a forty pound rock sounds more like a small boulder.... You must have a pretty serious laceration :? and a * of a headache.

As far as hazards in the wild, yes there are plenty, but I have to admit I feel so much safer trekking out in the back-country than I do walking through my neighborhood.
Benny

Postby Rollincast » May 31st, 2009, 8:07 am

midger wrote:
Flyjunkie wrote:

Yepper, then you die. Might as well die doing something you enjoy, eh?

Lots of dangers out there, but........(stolen from another forum)..............
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"

Glad your O.K., Bill. Be safe out there.

Randy
Always looking for brownie points
Rollincast

Postby beachbum » May 31st, 2009, 9:28 am

Good subject matter. Get yourself checked out!! The pressure of bleeding in your head can cause some serious complications.

Going out by youself has it's risks. I got caught solo climbing above Golden in colorado years back, and the wind came up to 70 mph. I was trapped for a very long night, and at first light I stuffed everything in my pack, and made a hasty retreat down the mountain. It was then I realized, that it's a good idea to have a partner in the backcountry.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby castaway » May 31st, 2009, 9:44 am

Im going to the doctors tomorrow... I am having post-concusion problems. My head still hurts, Im very tired, and my neck is sore, and I had something strange happen last night/this morning - I will not give you details.

I cant wait to get back up there with a small white streamer... the bigger browns were going ape sh*t for it....

On a positive note, at least I have a good excuse if I say or do anything stupid within the next couple weeks.

Thanks guys, and stay safe!
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby flybob » May 31st, 2009, 6:59 pm

Bill, glad to hear you are not dead!
Get to the doctor ASAP!

Remember that actress a couple of months ago who bumped her head while sking and thought she was OK!
You could have very small hemoraging which will slowly build pressure in the cranial cavity, which will start to push on the brain, in which the only escape for the brain is throught the stem Hole at the base of the skull, which will pinch the spinal cord and well, it's not a pretty picture! And it could very well be happening as you read this!

So get to the doctor.....NOW!
Let's pray that it's all OK!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing