REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Backpacking meals

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Backpacking meals

Postby RichardCullip » July 19th, 2009, 9:01 pm

I like to pack some English Muffins and a bit of honey. Butter up one side, toast them up in a fry pan and spread the honey on them. Makes a great tasty breakfast.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Flyjunkie » July 20th, 2009, 6:42 am

a Big Ziploc bag (the gallon size) filled with Home made beef *.. that works great for quick snacks and topping off a Meal... :bananadance:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby rkfiske » July 20th, 2009, 9:02 am

I usually just do the apple and cinnamon oatmeal. I had a mountain house granola and blueberries thing and it was pretty awesome. Bottomline is that almost anything tastes pretty great when ur out there. The granola and blueberries were nice because they only needed cold water. It looks like purple cement mix though.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Gary C. » July 20th, 2009, 9:26 am

I have started useing a food dehydrator and have come up with some very good meals for dinner. In stead of the Mountain House meals I started ordering most of my pre-maid meals from a company called Enertia. They are dehydrated, a litlle smaller, and very tasty. Something else that I have added to my cannister recently is SPAM Singles. I like SPAM and they come in small packages that pack well.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby castaway » July 20th, 2009, 11:18 am

mmmmmm.... god... homemade beef *. Yea great trail snack.

I also bring the individual serving size packs of crystal light... easy, light, and cheap... like a good date!

the freeze dried blueberry crumble is to die for...
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby COCarp » July 20th, 2009, 11:24 am

Flyjunkie wrote:a Big Ziploc bag (the gallon size) filled with Home made beef *.. that works great for quick snacks and topping off a Meal... :bananadance:

Agreed!

Lately, I've been camping with NO stove required.

Breakfast
BANANA BREAD. It's quick easy to make or purchase from the store. I have a great recipe if your interested.

Brunch - Luna Bar's - they are healthy and around 200 calories

Lunch - Beef *

Linner - Luna Bar

Dinner - Beef *

Snacks - Dehydrated fruit - a mixture of pineapples, mango's, etc. whatever pleases your pallet.

It's light weight but at the same time nutritious and simple. Hope it helps
COCarp

Postby tobysmom » July 20th, 2009, 12:00 pm

I like mac and cheese from Rei . oh yea the blueberry dessert is awesome.
tobysmom

Postby gabe » July 20th, 2009, 1:40 pm

dang I'd be starving with these list. ha!
I'm good with killing a Mountain house to myself. one for breakfast, one for dinner,
and a nice pint of ale to wash it all down at the end of the night.

Gary those Enertia meals look pretty darn tasty. I'll have to try that sometime.
gabe

Postby rayfound » July 20th, 2009, 2:36 pm

An oatmeal pack for breakfast.

Fritos, peanut m&ms, butter toffee peanuts for lunch.

A mountain house for dinner (though I can't finish a whole one while backpacking).
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Gary C. » July 20th, 2009, 2:45 pm

gabe wrote:Gary those Enertia meals look pretty darn tasty. I'll have to try that sometime.

Gabe, all of them I have had were very good. The better half had one that I didn't care for but I guess I can't like them all. Here is another brand that I have not tried yet but read on a couple different sites that they are very good and a little bigger than the Enertia meals. My next order will be from hawk Vittles. I even read a post from the owner of Hawk Vittles that Enertia Meals were his favorite but he started making his own because he wanted a little more than the Enertia meals provide.
http://hawkvittles.com/index.html

rayfound, you might want to try the Enertia meals. They are single serving size compared to the double servings in the MH meals.
http://www.trailfoods.com/#
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby dirtryder219 » July 21st, 2009, 7:16 am

I tend to stay away from the freeze dried meals because of the cost. I do alot of home dehydrating and put together all my own meals for half the cost. Lipton makes several really good pasta and rice meals to use as a base and then you can add your own extras into it. The Stroganoff with * added is pretty darn good as well as the red beans and rice with some summer sausage.

My first night always is a good meal with some frozen meat packed in and a hearty side dish. This last weekend it was a pork chop with loaded instant mashed potatoes. Clif bars, trail mix and * are the snacks. Lunches usually consist on bagels w/salami or summer sausage. Breakfast can be burritos or pitas stuffed with precooked bacon or sausage or good ole fashioned granola and powdered milk.

KC
If you actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
dirtryder219

Postby AddictedtotheFLY » July 21st, 2009, 3:56 pm

I am a minimalist when it comes to backpacking food.

Beef *
Nuts
Energy/Granola Bars
Dried Fruits
Chocolate
Fig Newtons

and that is it!

no stove, no pots, no silverware, etc....
A bad day of fishin' beats a good day at work!!
AddictedtotheFLY

Postby RichardCullip » July 21st, 2009, 4:32 pm

AddictedtotheFLY wrote:I am a minimalist when it comes to backpacking food.

Beef *
Nuts
Energy/Granola Bars
Dried Fruits
Chocolate
Fig Newtons

and that is it!

no stove, no pots, no silverware, etc....

How do you survive without blueberry pancakes for breakfast?
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby castaway » July 21st, 2009, 4:40 pm

Never thought about it till now..

streamside sashimi...(Im not a fan of eating trout... but might work for someone??)

Bring a lemon or a lime and salt, and maybe some type of seasoning or onion. thats it (going with the no stove concept).

Catch a fish in the morning... wrap it in tin foil with lime/lemon put in plastic bag.. hide in stream to keep cool.

Crap... reading this thread again got me hungry.

Another staple of my backpacking diet...
Those tuna packages ... just rip the top off and put on tortilla with some good hot sauce.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby gabe » July 21st, 2009, 7:03 pm

wildfly wrote:Most people find it odd that I like to fish when I tell them that I ABSOLUTELY DETEST the taste of any type of fish/shellfish/etc. Except for the fish & chips at BJ's... that's some GOOD stuff.
ha! I sometimes get the same response. Not a huge fan of freshwater fish, with the exception of Catfish and Tilapia. Though being part Japanese, I can't deny some good sashimi. Also a fan of most pelagic fish. Favorite being Wahoo, pink snapper, Yellow fin Tuna, and mahi mahi, in that order. ok now I'm getting hungry.
Also a huge fan of ceviche and beers. yum!
gabe

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing