REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Members' Bio: Where'd you come from?

Postby RichardCullip » August 6th, 2009, 6:50 am

Welcome DuckDog. Have you found the joy of combining your love of the surf with your love of fly fishing yet? If not, there's a wonderful world of fly fishing adventures right in your back yard. The sandy beaches and quiet bays of Southern Calif are just filled with fun fish to catch.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby 1mocast » August 6th, 2009, 7:10 am

Welcome Mike and Brian to the fray...

Glad to see you here Doug...

Some good Bios....
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Eric » August 6th, 2009, 7:45 am

Welcome to the family guys
Eric
Eric

Postby duckdog » August 6th, 2009, 9:19 am

RichardCullip wrote:Welcome DuckDog. Have you found the joy of combining your love of the surf with your love of fly fishing yet? If not, there's a wonderful world of fly fishing adventures right in your back yard. The sandy beaches and quiet bays of Southern Calif are just filled with fun fish to catch.
richard- yep, although i don't do it as much as i would like. my job is piece-work, so i can make my own hours. you would think i'd be on it every day. i'm such a slacker!- mike
duckdog

Postby Shequila » August 6th, 2009, 10:54 am

Hmmmm....Grew up in the Adirondacks of upstate NY. Only fished with friends a few times, mostly while partying. didn't have my own poles or anything so I actually just used a long stick and attached fishing line, hook & night crawlers. Night crawler hunting was a popular "date" activity in my part of the woods. (yes, I am a redneck). Caught lots of brookies that way, panfish, small & largemouth, bullhead.
A week after graduation, my girlfriend and I loaded with a pack of saltines, $5 and a pack of Marlboro Reds hit the road and started hitchhiking. By some strange twist of fate I ended up in Oklahoma. Got married, had babies, blah blah boring.
But got a job working for the OK Wildlife Dept. Everything for a reason right? 8 years with them, teaching hunter ed/aquatic ed and started hunting with my girlfriend in 1994. Took a fly fishing class in 1996. Never picked up a regular rod and reel since.
Husband leaves me because I am TOO outdoorsy. What a butthead.
I get recruited to run the new outdoor adventure program for the Air Force. I do so for 7 years guiding backpacking, kayaking, rafting, climbing, skiing and a bunch of other stuff. Started guiding and teaching fly fishing in 2002 on the Lower Mountain Fork River in SE Oklahoma. Moved to Wisconsin with current husband. What to do now? Go to guide school of course!
I spend the best 14 days of my life in St Regis, MT on the Clark Fork River with Dave (flyguide) and his dad. These guys truly are the best there is and all of you should spend at least one day with either of them. Dave is probably the only person I know with more passion for this sport than I. Now stuck in Wisconsin. What's my next move? Hmmmm...time will tell.
Shequila

Postby Sasha » August 6th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Welcome to all the new members!!!! as you will find out this site rocks :rockon:
Sasha

Postby briansII » August 6th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Welcome folks. Some very interesting bios.

briansII
briansII

Postby FFFF » August 8th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Hi there.....Fly Fishing Firefighter here..hence the "four F's". I was born, raised and still live in Ventura County and work for the county FD for almost 22 years now. Spent six years in the Army..was a Military Policeman in the 82nd Airborne Division.
Started fishing at age 2 with my Dad and Grandpa...learned to fly fish around 10 years old, but never really got it. Started back at it about 15 years ago and am a total addict...been going up to Montana every summer for the last 13 years, but fish local waters mostly. My Pop and I love the Sierras and so we go up as much as we can...he likes the East Side, so we go there.
I like the Kern....great water and reminds me of some spots I fish in Montana. I also fish the surf line since I live and work at the coast....it's fun, but for some reason I prefer the mountains for fishing.

I see a few names here I recognize from another forum where I go by StevieRay....but I like FFFF a little better. Anyway..howdy to all of you fellow addicts and brother/sister fly tossers!!!
FFFF

Postby Shequila » August 8th, 2009, 4:58 pm

FFFF wrote:Hi there.....Fly Fishing Firefighter here..hence the "four F's". I was born, raised and still live in Ventura County and work for the county FD for almost 22 years now. Spent six years in the Army..was a Military Policeman in the 82nd Airborne Division.
Started fishing at age 2 with my Dad and Grandpa...learned to fly fish around 10 years old, but never really got it. Started back at it about 15 years ago and am a total addict...been going up to Montana every summer for the last 13 years, but fish local waters mostly. My Pop and I love the Sierras and so we go up as much as we can...he likes the East Side, so we go there.
I like the Kern....great water and reminds me of some spots I fish in Montana. I also fish the surf line since I live and work at the coast....it's fun, but for some reason I prefer the mountains for fishing.

I see a few names here I recognize from another forum where I go by StevieRay....but I like FFFF a little better. Anyway..howdy to all of you fellow addicts and brother/sister fly tossers!!!

what years were you in the 82nd?
Shequila

Postby FFFF » August 9th, 2009, 8:13 am

Shequila......82 to 86, were you around Ft Bragg then? BTW...you have an interesting bio....you're a rather adventurous sort, eh? And what a score of a job....teaching outdoors stuff on an AF base...totally cool!!
I was thinking...why not guide in Montana? When I retire in four more years from the FD....I'm gonna guide up there....first to guide school of course, but I already have the connection for a job...and a promise of one too.....so there you go. You know what happens if you don't take a risk? Nothing!!!!

Peace, love and sausages......FFFF
FFFF

Postby theokieangler » August 11th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Shequila wrote:A week after graduation, my girlfriend and I loaded with a pack of saltines, $5 and a pack of Marlboro Reds hit the road and started hitchhiking. By some strange twist of fate I ended up in Oklahoma. Got married, had babies, blah blah boring.
But got a job working for the OK Wildlife Dept. Everything for a reason right? 8 years with them, teaching hunter ed/aquatic ed and started hunting with my girlfriend in 1994. Took a fly fishing class in 1996. Never picked up a regular rod and reel since.

Another Okie! Nice!! Welcome!!
theokieangler

Postby Shequila » August 12th, 2009, 6:32 am

theokieangler wrote:
Shequila wrote:A week after graduation, my girlfriend and I loaded with a pack of saltines, $5 and a pack of Marlboro Reds hit the road and started hitchhiking. By some strange twist of fate I ended up in Oklahoma. Got married, had babies, blah blah boring.

Another Okie! Nice!! Welcome!!

Okies Rule! I suppose 17 years in NY and 18 years in Oklahoma makes me more an Okie than a Yankee now ay!
Shequila

Postby Ryan Sager » August 15th, 2009, 10:17 am

:grouphug:
Ryan Sager

Postby 1mocast » August 15th, 2009, 11:08 am

Shequila, FFFF, Ryan,
Interesting Bios indeed...
Welcome to Addictville...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » August 17th, 2009, 2:06 am

Ryan

Welcome Aboard.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing