REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The future of freeze-dried

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

The future of freeze-dried

Postby Papasequoia » August 13th, 2009, 1:02 am

My Tang was delicious as always this past week. Here is what NASA is up to now, which should trickle down to us backpackers several years after development.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-sci-mars ... &track=rss
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: The future of freeze-dried

Postby NorcalBob » August 13th, 2009, 8:57 am

Oh man, good DR, you are sure showing your age when you remember "Space Sticks"!!!!! :booty:
I remember them too!!!!!!! :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :funnyup:
NorcalBob

Postby Papasequoia » August 13th, 2009, 10:03 am

Wow, I had totally forgotten about those! I went through a period when that was all I would eat for breakfast, drove my mom crazy. However, I'm not sure whether to thank you for that blast from the past or to curse you for making me feel old. Oh wait, I got it: Thanks, * you. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby rayfound » August 13th, 2009, 11:11 am

I have no idea what you old farts are talking about.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » August 13th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Yes, I do remember the Space Food Stick. Mind you, I was just an infant when they came out. :roll: :roll:

Not to hijack this, but has anyone tried MREs for backpacking/camping. I'm hesitant to try them, after watching soldiers choke that stuff down, but I read they are better tasting now. I am really lazy when it comes to prepping for a camping trips. These MREs sound like an easy way to cross meals off the to do list.

http://www.mrefoods.com/

briansII
briansII

Postby Shequila » August 13th, 2009, 7:21 pm

briansII wrote:Yes, I do remember the Space Food Stick. Mind you, I was just an infant when they came out. :roll: :roll:

Not to hijack this, but has anyone tried MREs for backpacking/camping. I'm hesitant to try them, after watching soldiers choke that stuff down, but I read they are better tasting now. I am really lazy when it comes to prepping for a camping trips. These MREs sound like an easy way to cross meals off the to do list.

http://www.mrefoods.com/

briansII

OK NO MRE'S! From my husband who spent 22 years in the army...
MRE's are designed to be the only meal eaten in an entire day, which is why they usually total 2000 calories per meal. They are bulky and have a bunch of extra crap you don't want to carry while backpacking. The other side effect of MRE's is that they were intended for soldiers in the field WITHOUT use of restroom facilities. Thus, soldiers would eat these and not crap for a couple weeks. Not a very comfortable feeling when you are backpacking as we all know you can't under estimate the quality of a good crap...every day.
This is just my opinion, of course but for that past 7 years I've been guiding backpacking trips we almost exclusively use Mountain House dehydrates. They are low in fat and calories but high in carbs and protein. they don't have the extra crap and even make some for high altitude that won't expand. They are add hot water only meals and actually are very yummy.

that other stuff you guys are talking about? I have no idea. sounds intersting. I shall Google it.
Shequila

Postby ocmike » August 13th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Space food Sticks always reminded me of little turds. :doh:

Doesn't mean I didn't eat them by the bucket full, though.
ocmike

Postby Papasequoia » August 14th, 2009, 8:33 am

I'm with Shequila on the MREs. Granted, it was over 30 years ago now that I was forced to eat them, but some bad memories still stick with you. I'm sure they have improved since then just as all freeze-dried food has, but there are better things out there. Backpacker included MREs in a taste test of freeze-drieds several years ago and as I recall they came in last, but they did have a few positive comments about them. Btw, on a recent shopping trip to REI I was talking to a clerk who had recently done the John Muir trail with her boyfriend. She gushed about the Pasta Primavera (I think it is Mountain House) so I went over and got one. Wow, I would have to agree with her, probably one of the best freeze-dried meals I have ever had. Pasta and veggies in a parmesan cheese sauce...yum! [though not as good as space food sticks :lol: ]
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby briansII » August 14th, 2009, 9:31 am

Ok. MREs Image Image Mountain House Image

Thanks for the info. I am a Mountain House fan. The other brands are ok, to pretty good, but for the most part MH is the only brand I buy now. I'll try the pasta meal next time.....one thing I noticed about some MH meals. It's not safe to sit by an open flame after eating them. :oops:

briansII
briansII

Postby Packer » August 14th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Yeah and always be sure to have a straight shot to the bushes cause sometimes they go right through you and you don't want any interferences to get there. :oops:
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby midger » August 19th, 2009, 10:04 pm

The Pasta Primavera is good and I generally have it when BP.

Jon.
MRE's haven't been around quite 30 years yet, but close. Some aren't too bad, but not what I'd consider BP fare. As for the space sticks--never heard of them. Must have been well before my time. :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby BirdDog » August 21st, 2009, 8:32 pm

Just got back from another trip out west, I have eaten maybe 20 dehydrated dinners this summer. I have tried all of moutain house products (far superior in IMO to Alpine Aire and Backpackers pantry) and the the winner is Lasagna with Meat Sauce....no question about it!!! Close seconds are beef strogonoff and spaghetti with meat sauce.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby Papasequoia » August 21st, 2009, 10:34 pm

midger wrote:The Pasta Primavera is good and I generally have it when BP.

Jon.
MRE's haven't been around quite 30 years yet, but close.

We may have been given whatever preceded MREs. This would have been the mid-70's when I was in. The rumor was that they were giving us leftover stocks from WWII, but I'm sure the Army never would have done that. :o :? It was probably just Korean war leftovers. :D

Birddog, welcome back! Looking forward to another great report. I love that lasagna too, but I hate cleaning the spoon afterwards because that cheese sticks to it like glue. It takes a major sand scrub to get it all off.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby Shequila » August 21st, 2009, 11:14 pm

Dudes, I have tried just about every Mountain House on the market, as I used to sell them in my outdoor store.
I recommend staying away from the tomato sauce ones during the day if you are exerting energy as the acid from the tomato's can give you indegestion.
That being said, my favorites are listed here:
Lasagna w/meat sauce, pasta primavera, beef patties w/cheese mashed potatoes, grilled chicken * w/mashed potatoes, beef stew, potatoes w/beef & onion.
Mac & Cheese is superior as so is the seafood chowder.
For Breakfast I prefer the granola w/blueberry mixed with hot water instead of the recommended cold water. The eggs w/ham are not very good, although the eggs w/bacon are good however if you are backpacking they will not keep you full very long and the granola will. They blueberries plump up BIG and tasty like fresh.

To keep things interesting, the veggies they have are AMAZING. Green beans, corn & peas are the selections and you won't believe how good they are. The freeze dried fruit is very yummy mixed with traditional oatmeal; I like the bananas on a whole wheat tortilla with some peanut butter and honey packets I steal from Starbucks. (Shhhh...)

The pro paks are better for lunch as they are single serving and are good for high altitude environments.

NOTE: for backpacking I highly recommend transferring your MH to a FREEZER ziplock to save space. The freezer can hold boiling water, you eat right out of the baggy and if fires are permitted they melt just fine without leftover residue.

So says Shequila the backpacking freak!
Shequila

Postby Papasequoia » August 21st, 2009, 11:37 pm

I like the freezer bags anyway because they are bigger (or appear to be) and sturdier. Good to hear they can hold boiling water, I'll try it. Freeze dried food for a family of four for just a couple of nights can fill a bear cannister without re-bagging. Tried some of the breakfasts on the last trip. I actually liked the ham and eggs better than the bacon (which had red and green peppers too). However, I would still keep it for a day when I need a big energy push/full stomach. Oatmeal and dried fruit is still top of the list for me. On the other hand, I tried the granola and blueberries you mentioned for the first time and was blown away! You are absolutely right about how big and juicy those berries puff up, amazing.
As for some of the MH foods you mention, I have to visit a different REI or start ordering mail order; I haven't even seen some of those! Beef patties w/cheese mashed potatoes, grilled chicken * w/mashed potatoes? Gotta look for those, thanks. Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing