REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

What Kind of line do you like?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

What Kind of line do you like?

Postby rayfound » August 14th, 2009, 5:23 pm

So, a little backstory here: when I started flyfishing, I went for the cheapo line from Big 5 (well, that is after I got sick of the coils in the line that came on the reel in the Martin $30 combo at walmart). I knew it sucked, but hey, it was cheap.

Then i got my 3wt, and for $25, I tried "AquaNova" a cheap line I found on ebay. I actually found it to be pretty good, but it picked up a lot of dirt and didn't clean easily.

Then last Fall, I'd finally had enough... so I decided to spend the $60 and get a proper fly line. I settled on the Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout, in the muted olive color.

I loved it:
Welded loop - Awesome.
Color - Awesome.
Slickness - Awesome
ease of straitening at the beginning of a day on the water - Great.

But after about 6 months, it got a pretty severe crack in the coating just behind the welded loop. My tippet seems to find that crack every time i goof up a cast.

Now 9 months later, it seems like there are a heck of a lot of small cracks up and down the line, and its not floating as well as I would like.

I emailed Scientific Anglers and they said they would send me a new line if I would send this one back after. Sure, says I, and I gave them my address, color choice, etc...

And now after 7 weeks and 2 follow ups later... nothing. Never heard from them again. They stopped responding.

So, just as I told the 3m Rep - I'm trying another brand.

So I ask you, what line would you guys recommend for a 3-wt wielding creek ninja? What lines do you like? What's lasted you well? What lines have you had trouble with?

Any screaming deals out there I should know about?

FWIW - I fish a 8'9" wt TFO finesse and a 7'6" Gremlin Emerald Matrix (Med/fast action with a really whippy tip section).

Thanks fellas. Stay Tuned for the Wading boot thread that's coming soon. Why does everything seem to wear out all at once?
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Re: What Kind of line do you like?

Postby NorcalBob » August 14th, 2009, 5:58 pm

OMG, but I think the good DR just made the earth move!!!!!! :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
To actually contribute something meaningful to this thread :shock: , welded loops crack pretty quickly. As long as the core is intact, exterior cracking isn't that big of a deal. I'm too lazy to cut welded loops off right off the bat :rockon: , but I have no qualms about cutting them off and going with a needle nail knot when they do crack. BTW, no surprise here, for a straight floating line, I think the Orvis Wonderline is the best fly line on the market today :o .
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » August 14th, 2009, 6:26 pm

Orvis love fest.....I think i'm gonna puke! ;) Keep and eye on the Wonderlines. They go on "sale" often. I think they have a $10 off going right now. I will cry when my old, intermediate Wonderline dies. THE BEST clear intermediate i've ever used.

I'm a Rio guy, but I sneak around and use just about anything. I tried the new Rio Gold and thought it was terrible. Something clicked, and now I really like it. Overhead cast well, rollcasts like a demon, and turns over very positively, but lands soft....if that makes sense. Unlike a lot of lines, the tip still floats. The Gold has a subtle olive head, and a yellow running line. I used and like the SA Trout Taper. I didn't have any cracking problems. :?

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » August 14th, 2009, 6:45 pm

I prefer a little known line made by a company called "Shore." 8-)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby RichardCullip » August 14th, 2009, 10:02 pm

I like the Rio Gold lines for general trout fishing
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Sasha » August 15th, 2009, 7:22 am

Depending on the rod I have Wonderline, Sage Quiet Double Taper II, XPS, and Rio Anadromous Advantage.
Sasha

Postby 1mocast » August 15th, 2009, 12:04 pm

The wonderline is sweet for the flex and slickness. I usually wait for the $25 off coupon and pick it up then.

Normally, I use almost any line that is on sale from Cabelas to SA and Cortland.

For your 3 wt matrix (I have the same rod. Progressive taper with stiffer butt and noodley tip), I would recommend maybe a 3 wt DT. Cut in 1/2 and you will have 2 lines. Great for your small stream stuff with 10-20 ft of line out at most...Won't cast as well with lots of line out.

For the 3 wt TFO (I have never cast the rod, progressive taper also?), you might be able to use the same line. Not sure but will depend on rod taper.

Just remember that on the smaller the wt rods, the mass on the line is more critical on how it will cast. I try to balance the light wt rods to the line to get to the "sweet" casting spot.

Next time out, remind me and I can bring a different lines for you to try out.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby fly addict » August 17th, 2009, 10:28 am

Ray,

Asking people about what is there favorite fly line is like asking people what is there favorite flyrod. You have all kinds of opinions. I don’t know if they will help you decide what line to buy. The best advice I can give you is try and find the line that works best on your rod and you casting it! Some rods will work with one line well and not so well with another. Maybe you should through a party and invite everybody over for some cold beer and BBQ. Have them all bring there fly lines for you to try on your fly rod. :)

It is to bad that SA left you holding the bag on the line return. That in it’s self is enough for me not to buy a line from them no matter how well it works.

Good luck on your line search.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby dh2x » August 18th, 2009, 8:58 am

Here's this link. It's a DT, but a pretty good price.
http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoic ... t_id=13351
Dean
dh2x

Postby Shequila » August 18th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Let the Love Fest continue!

I have used Orvis' Wonderline for many years now, guiding clients (mostly beginners) and have some reels that have had it on for 3-4 years now and NO CRACKING!
It's nice and slick so it doesn't gunk up either.
Yes, it's weight forward.
In another note though: I recently purchased a ridgeline by Airflo. It's a double-taper which is better for cost-effectiveness as you can turn it around and use the other side. I have not seen any difference in my short casts, but my long-distance casts have improved 10-fold. This thing zings through the rod and casting is a breeze. (also due to the new Winston rod I picked up too:)
Haven't had it long enough to see how it lasts long-term. Guess that is a discussion to come.
Shequila

Postby theokieangler » August 18th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Have to say.. I never really thought there was much difference between fly lines (on my 5wt...started with cortland, then SA,then rio) and was talked into buying sharkskin last year. Felt stupid spending so much money on a fly line, but I love it. Floats high, casts far and smooth, and supposedly it lasts quite a while... we'll see. I don't feel so stupid for dropping a c-note on it now though, I really could tell a difference for once.
theokieangler

Postby beachbum » August 18th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I like the Rio Gold for my 4 wt. It has served me well under some difficult situations.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby midger » August 19th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Cortland 444 is one of my favorites, but I'll use whatever I can get for a good price (and that floats).
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby dna » August 22nd, 2009, 9:50 am

It really depends what rod and what you are going for...

For my normal uses: Rio Selective Trout, SA XPS, Cortland 444 Peach
dna

Postby BirdDog » August 22nd, 2009, 9:42 pm

Just bought/used Rio Gold.....like it alot. Generally I love all my lines for a few months....nothing like shooting line with a brand-spankin new line, then I feel they taper off with their performance. The last three years Ihave been buying new lines for my rods...expensive but worth it IMHO.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing