REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Waterproof Camera

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Waterproof Camera

Postby rayfound » August 18th, 2009, 10:44 am

I can see no reason to look at anything other than the canon D10. Ask Flybob.

I'm sure others will disagree, but for me, canon has been virtually flawless in all the years I've used them. Great optics and a great user interface.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby NorcalBob » August 18th, 2009, 11:27 am

I have a Pentax Optio W20 and Chris has an Optio W30. Chris has had his for three years now, which is the longest living electronic component Chris has ever had. As you know, Chris likes to break things!!!!! ;)
Great pics, video mode, fantastic macro (for bug shots), compact design, and the cheapest waterproof digicam out there. But, only 3X optical zoom. Plus it's not made by Orvis :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » August 18th, 2009, 12:40 pm

There are a new crop of compact, UW digi cameras out. Since I bought mine, I don't keep track, because my basically new camera is already outdated. Nice thing about getting new models is the old models will get cheaper.....but not always right away.

I bought a Pentax Optio W60. It's a better camera than I am user. 10 mp, 5X optical zoom(it has an interesting variation of optical zoom), takes high resolution video, and has an incredible macro spec......something like .03" on super macro setting. I can't say how good the picture quality is, because I really don't have a reference point. They look good to me? Even though I only use a fraction of it's capabilities, i'm happy with it. There is a new WR model that will eventually replace the W60.....forgot to mention user friendliness. As long as I don't try and use all the features...and confuse myself, :oops: it's very user friendly. One hand operation is no problem. It has a big LCD screen, but no viewfinder. The LCD works ok even in bright sunlight. I have not had any problems with the wrong buttons being accidentally pushed, like on other compacts i've had.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-r ... eview.html

Ditto Craig's recommendation on B&H. If you don't have a local brick and morter you like to use, give them a try. I've also used Abe's Of Maine with good results.

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » August 18th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Well, I just ordered the replacement for my Pentax Optio W30 which has a bad LCD on it. The camera still works without issues, it is just the display on the back which is screwed up. I think the screen took the brunt of an impact at some point.

The new one, which I ordered on Friday or Saturday, is the new Pentax Optio W80. It just came out in June or July so there were not reviews for me to check out, but Pentax has had their hand in the waterproof game olnger than anyone with digital cameras. They also have had the fastest WP Digital cameras for several generations.

Looking forward to checking it out soon.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Rob909 » August 18th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Like others, I have the Optio W30 and have not had any problems with it.

It takes great pictures and is very user friendly.

Rob
Rob909

Postby RichardCullip » August 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

I'm happy with my Optio W60. It's my second Optio WP camera. The first one (Wpi) survived four dunkings in a river, up to arm's length deep, but didn't survive a three foot drop from the back of my truck onto the pavement down in Long Beach earlier this year.

It's easy to use, takes decent pictures, has outstanding macro capabilities and slips into a shirt pocket. Battery life leaves something to be desired but it lasts long enough for a day's trip if I charge it up the night before. I'd have to take an extra battery or two if I went on a long backpacking trip with it.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby RubiKinda » August 18th, 2009, 1:50 pm

If it was, it would be $695
NorcalBob wrote:I have a Pentax Optio W20 and Chris has an Optio W30. Chris has had his for three years now, which is the longest living electronic component Chris has ever had. As you know, Chris likes to break things!!!!! ;)
Great pics, video mode, fantastic macro (for bug shots), compact design, and the cheapest waterproof digicam out there. But, only 3X optical zoom. Plus it's not made by Orvis :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:

If it was, it would be $695 :bananadance:

But at least it would be covered by a TRUE warranty.

It's a really good thing its not made by Sage, then it would still cost $695, the parts would be made overseas.... assembled in the USA to live up to the sticker, and if it ever broke you would have to fork out $50 for "handling fees" wait 3 months.... and finally get it back repaired with colors that don't match. But at least you would have a cool sticker for your truck......that is if you paid the $15 for it. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I didn't start this whole thing again... but I guess I'm guilty for participating.
RubiKinda

Postby beachbum » August 18th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I love my Olympus, but Panasonic has a new camera out that takes HD videos too. It has a solid warranty as well. It might be worth checking into.

http://gizmodo.com/5139949/waterproof-p ... al-cameras
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby rkfiske » August 18th, 2009, 3:02 pm

beachbum wrote:I love my Olympus, but Panasonic has a new camera out that takes HD videos too. It has a solid warranty as well. It might be worth checking into.

http://gizmodo.com/5139949/waterproof-p ... al-cameras

If I'm not mistaken, that is the camera mark (1mocast) has. He can either confirm or deny this if he shows up on this thread though. If it is, I have to say it's a nice camera and has a sweet panoramic mode!

I am eagerly listening to everyone's advice on this topic since I dunked my good ole non waterproof camera I was using dangerously on rivers for about a year now. It finally died when I forgot that a waterproof pocket is not waterproof if unzipped :oops:
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby castaway » August 18th, 2009, 3:46 pm

The Olympus stylus 1050sw is a great camera. Its much better than the older versions. Lots of little options for someone like wildfly to use, but easy to use for people like me.

The super macro setting is super easy to use and seems to focus a lot better than the older stylus cameras.

simple wheel to select what you want or a quick set guide that automatically adjusts the settings depending on what your shooting.

Also has a nice power on/power off feature - just slide the lens cover down and it pops on... slide it closed and it shuts off - no more opps I left my camera on.

I got mine as a factory rebuild with a 6 month warrenty (its been over 6 months and the thing is perfect). If I remember correctly, it was under 200 bucks.

Too bad this camera wont help Jon with his skunk problem... but its still a nice camera.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Eric » August 18th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Mike you just can't go wrong with the pentax. I have had my w20 for three now with no problems. I think the price is now down to below $200
Eric
Eric

Postby Papasequoia » August 18th, 2009, 7:19 pm

I'm still using a Pentax Optio W20 like many others. I haven't used any other WP cameras, so I have nothing to compare it to so I can't help you there. But, it meets all of my needs and all of your criteria except for the zoom, but it sounds like the newer models have a better zoom. I've also had it for several years. I don't have any battery problems. I took pictures for a week and a half on our trip to Spain this summer before it finally died. (You might want to look into a new battery, Richard).
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby theokieangler » August 18th, 2009, 7:53 pm

wildfly wrote:
rayfound wrote:I can see no reason to look at anything other than the canon D10. Ask Flybob.

I'm sure others will disagree, but for me, canon has been virtually flawless in all the years I've used them. Great optics and a great user interface.

The Canon D10 is a great option. However, you might take into consideration the size difference between it and the Olympus Tough series (like the 8000). The canon has a rounded body and the lens does not retract into the body, making it more bulky than the Olympus and Pentax cameras.

I thought long and hard about picking up the d10 when I was in the market for a waterproof camera. The size was a big turn off, and I was nervous about buying a 1st generation waterproof model. I thought pentax or olympus would be safer choices. Heard nothing but great things about the pentax models, but ended up going with the olympus stylus tough 8000. The durability was probably the deciding factor. I'm notoriously tough on my things (bad quality), but I have been really pleased with the tough 8000.

It's definitely tough... seen more than its fair share of drops (waist high to concrete, twice... whoops), bangs, and bumps already (purchased early may... so not too long ago, but seen a lot of days on the water) and is no worse for the wear. I normally just throw it on a carabiner and attach it to my chest/lumbar pack for easy access for fish shots. Easy on the fish having quick access to the camera. Nice not having to worry about it banging against anything between fish and spots too. It's really easy to use, plenty of options if you want 'em, but I stick with one of the auto settings for the most part. If you do want to go between settings the setup is pretty intuitive which is nice. 3 different macro choices and all area a breeze to use. It has a tap function that helps if you have gloves/big fingers but I haven't really used it so can't really tell you about how easy that function is. Been pleased with the battery life... and I appreciate the power saver setting so if I forget to turn it off after snapping a pic I don't waste the battery for the rest of the day. Zoom is 3.6x but for what it lacks in zoom it makes up for in megapixels. If you need more zoom there's plenty of pixels for zooming once it's on the comp.

Needless to say, I'm a fan... but again, I've heard nothing but great things about pentax. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong either way. I should also say I don't know much about photography, so maybe there's some technical reason one of the other choices might be better. But for all practical purposes (at least for me) it's been great...
theokieangler

Postby Shequila » August 18th, 2009, 8:07 pm

I have the Olympus Stylus 770 SW.
I have had it for about 3 years now. Took it to Mexico and took pictures underwater while diving and they turned out great.
It's waterproof to 33 ft and shock proof to 5 ft.
Small and easy to use because I am not smart enough to use anything too complicated.

:?
Shequila

Postby beachbum » August 18th, 2009, 8:19 pm

I have the SW770 too. It's been so steady and reliable, that when it dissapeared from my pocket in France last year I bought another. Some of the newer cameras have more pixels, and features, but I have to say any camera that lasts years with me, is a winner (I ruined 12, mostly by water)!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing