REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Vibram Vs Felt

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Vibram Vs Felt

Postby briansII » October 1st, 2009, 10:26 am

We don't need MORE excuse to buy gear, but.........

I found this test to be of interest. Like many, I wondered about the new Vibrams. From reading all the different reports, I never got a good idea of their performance. Some say they are as good or better than felt. Some say they are dangerous. I do not feel this gentleman had/has any conscious reason to like one over the other. Reading his blog beforehand helped me get a sense of this.

http://themrpblog.blogspot.com/

Anyway, here's the video of his brief test.

I'm not going to say this video has sold me on Vibrams, but i'm less worried about them now. When it's time, I do plan to replace my Aquastealth boots with some version of the Vibram soled boots. I will buy and put studs/cleats in them. IMHO, if they offer less chance of spreading invasive stuff, i'll make the complete switch.....well, I already have, since I haven't used felt in 2+ years.

briansII
briansII

Re: Vibram Vs Felt

Postby beachbum » October 1st, 2009, 10:34 am

I have used vibram's sticky sole for about 2 years now, and I like it better then felt. It really excels out of the water, and works great in the water too. The only time it's been sketchy was on slabs of slate, which are slick no matter what you use. Since I started carrying a wading staff, a few years back, I just use it to make things a bit more stable.

I guess what I am trying to say is I made the choice based on overall usage, not on the invasive species issue, and chose sticky soles.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby RichardCullip » October 1st, 2009, 10:42 am

I've been using my Simms Vibram-soled boots (Rivershed non-studded) for most of this year. I love them. They do a much better job on dry rock than my older Simms felt-soled boots ever did. They seem to give me equivalent stability on wet rock. I've tried them on the Kern and some southwestern Colorado rivers (Animas, Piedra, Dolores, San Juan in Pagossa Springs). I felt safe wading in what ever each of the waters threw at me. This winter I'll try them out on the Lower Kings which has been, to date, the toughest river for me to wade safely and securely. I expect my Simms Vibram-soled boots will handle them at least as good, but hopefully better, than my older felt-soled boots. I'm sold on the Vibram soled boots.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby darrin terry » October 1st, 2009, 11:06 am

I bought a pair of Simms Rivershed boots with the Vibram soles in the spring. So far, they're the best of the three pairs of wading boots I've owned.

They are quite simply the most comfortable and easiest to put on and take off, by far.

The Vibram soles are, IMO, proving to be a close match to the felt soles in the water. They don't grip every where, but in most circumstances they work pretty well. I think the felts slipped about equally.

Out of the water, they are far superior to both felts and the Aquastealth soles they replaced in Simms boot line. More aggressive tread.

Looking forward to testing them out on the local this year. Need to see whether or not I must buy another pair of felts for local winter use before they are gone forever.

I like them.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby NorcalBob » October 1st, 2009, 11:42 am

My first impression of his evaluation is: "I'm not impressed with his evaluation"!!!!!! :gun: :gun: :gun:
Let's see, cobble bottom with very little algae. Heck, even I wouldn't fall in that!!!!!!!! :stupid:
I am much more interested in testing in a Pit River environment with lots of large and uneven rocks covered in a thick coating of algae!!!! :booty:
Sorry, but I think his "evaluation" is pretty useless!!!! :funnyup: :funnyup:
NorcalBob

Postby hip » October 1st, 2009, 12:20 pm

I had to borrow a pair from a friend on my last trip to the Sierras when my boots blew out.
I was lucky most people don't bring two pairs of boots with them.
I found them to be a lot more slippier in the water then felt.
Out of the water no question they are better but I don't care much if I fall down on dry land.
I believe they were the Patagoina ones.

These were most likely the first generation of rubber wading shoes.
Maybe they have improved the rubber on the most current models.

Also of note he had the choice of wearing the rubber souled boots or his other boots which were felt.
He chose the felt and warned me before hand to be careful because they are slicker.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
Ernest Hemingway

hip

Postby briansII » October 1st, 2009, 12:43 pm

NorcalBob wrote:My first impression of his evaluation is: "I'm not impressed with his evaluation"!!!!!! :gun: :gun: :gun:
Let's see, cobble bottom with very little algae. Heck, even I wouldn't fall in that!!!!!!!! :stupid:
I am much more interested in testing in a Pit River environment with lots of large and uneven rocks covered in a thick coating of algae!!!! :booty:
Sorry, but I think his "evaluation" is pretty useless!!!! :funnyup: :funnyup:

Oh sure, just poo poo on my thread why dontcha!! :fireangry: :fireangry: :lol: :lol: But of course you are right. That river bottom certainly will not be a "true test", but only a comparative one to each type of sole. As for the Pit. Yeah, I hear it's bad. I just think those Norcal fishermen are a bunch of wussies when it comes to wading slick streams. Image

...........look Bob, I was just trying to justify buying ANOTHER piece of gear. That's becoming increasingly difficult. I thought I had done a good job of that, but now you go an ruin it for me. Looks like I'm stuck with yesterday's Aquastealth boots for a while longer. :cry: :cry:

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » October 1st, 2009, 1:54 pm

I wore my Patagonia Riverwalker rubber-soled boots last weekend for the first time and I can give them an enthusiastic two big thumbs up. Some naysayers may nitpick my review because I only wore them while in a float tube, but I stand by my endorsement and my test! :booty: Assuming it's not another 81 days before I go fishing, I'll add any other comments in an upcoming report. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Pete » October 1st, 2009, 2:00 pm

I don't buy into the whole rubber sole wading boots being better to combat the invasive species. As long as you have any nooks and crannys on your gear you are going to be able to transport critters, if you don't take care of your equipment.

That being said I would like to get a good pair of boots without felt for different situations. When you find the best rubber soled wading boots let me know. I'm with briansII: Never can have too much equipment ;) .

Pete
Pete

Postby rkfiske » October 1st, 2009, 2:20 pm

FWIW, I have the cloudveil vibrams. They're very light and comfy for doing some light hiking duty. The only time they weren't the most secure was the kern in late august where I was slippin and slidin around
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby NorcalBob » October 1st, 2009, 9:23 pm

Actually Brian, I have studded aquastealth's and use them a lot more than my studded felts. And I did look into getting a set of the Vibram's, but couldn't come up with a good reason to spend the $$$$$$ when they don't stick any better than my studded aquastealth's!!!! :grouphug:
And I just got back from your favorite seasickness pond-----it's still on like Donkey Kong!!!! Hurry up and go there!!!! :rockon: :rockon:
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » October 2nd, 2009, 9:01 am

NorcalBob wrote:Actually Brian, I have studded aquastealth's and use them a lot more than my studded felts. And I did look into getting a set of the Vibram's, but couldn't come up with a good reason to spend the $$$$$$ when they don't stick any better than my studded aquastealth's!!!! :grouphug:
And I just got back from your favorite seasickness pond-----it's still on like Donkey Kong!!!! Hurry up and go there!!!! :rockon: :rockon:

I hate it when you're right! :doh: I've been using studded AS soles for quite a while now. Haven't used felt anything, except once when I left my boots in my other vehicle. When these wear out, I'll get the Vibrams.

I've been hitting "the pond" weekly. Next weekend I plan to move my operations north, to the headwaters of the Big Cement River. :bananadance:

briansII
briansII

Postby king of fun » October 2nd, 2009, 12:49 pm

I got the Simms Vibram boots earlier this year and in my opinion they aren't any better than their felt boots. Fished the San Joaquin back in August and the vibram could not have performed worse. Certainly not the all around wading boots I was hoping for.
king of fun

Postby dna » October 26th, 2009, 11:21 am

Just found this review http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsimmsg4boot.html

thinking I may make the ol' switch. they look heavy though.
dna

Postby beachbum » October 26th, 2009, 12:20 pm

I like my sticky soles, especially on the banks, and rock hopping. For weight, check out Patagonia's models. They are really light.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing