REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Moving on

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Moving on

Postby Barrie Mann » October 18th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Well I've come to a decision point in my life once again. My wife and I have decided that we will relocate to central Florida to be closer to family. It's been a difficult decision for me as I truly love fishing the Sierra and other western waters. I'll also miss my friends (many who are on this forum) as well as being able to fish the Kern any time I wanted to. However, there are new opportunities for fishing here. I will now start to concentrate on salt water fishing but I'll also head up to some of the northern states and fish in some of my old stomping grounds. I'll stay connected through this great forum and when I come west to fish (and I will) I'll let you know. So, until then I'm moving on.
Barrie Mann
Barrie Mann

Re: Moving on

Postby beachbum » October 18th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Godspeed, Barrie. Hope it's a good experience for you.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Gary C. » October 18th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Change can be hard for all of us but they almost always provide new opportunities. I hope yours are very rewarding. Best of luck and keep us all up to date.
Gary C.
Gary C.

Postby Flyjunkie » October 18th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Well, I will miss You when I'm on the Kern Barrie.. but all the power to You & Wife on the Move... I guess my pestering You about trying the Salt paid off, didn't it :rockon: ;)

You will be Missed by this Flyfisher, but all the best to YOU & FAMILY :rockon: :rockon:
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby RichardCullip » October 18th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Good luck with your move, Barrie. Central Florida should give you lots of opportunity to fish. Lots of fishies out there that you can't catch in California. Keep in touch and, if I'm ever out that way, I hope to wet a line with you for some of those hard pulling Florida salt water species.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Eric » October 18th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Barrie good luck with the move. Those salt water fish in florida will regret this day.
Eric
Eric

Postby midger » October 18th, 2009, 5:24 pm

Good luck to you and your wife. Being near family is nice and I'm sure this will prove to have been a great decision. Besides, learning to fish new species should be fun...... :lol:
Mike
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Wildman » October 18th, 2009, 5:36 pm

What a wonderful opportunity to be near the family and fish both fresh and salt water. Some of the fresh water fishing in Florida rivals that of Central and south America because of the exotic species that make their home in the canals and rivers and lakes. You'll have a ball learning new waters and new species. Good luck.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Rob909 » October 18th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Good luck Barrie.

I'm sure everything will fall into place, and your new home will be fantastic.

Take Care.

Rob
Rob909

Postby Sheriff Joe » October 18th, 2009, 7:46 pm

California will always be there (I hope). Have fun in Florida!
Slap a cold trout on it!
Sheriff Joe

Postby 1mocast » October 18th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Warmwater Lakes! Lakes! and more Lakes! Congrats on the new chapter in your life....mark
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby darrin terry » October 18th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Words I never thought to read…

Best of all things with the move! Be sure to catch a snook for us. :D I guess you have an excuse to 'NEED' some new rods and reels.

I hope the move works out and am looking forward to hearing how the fishing works out. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Papasequoia » October 18th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Just how "central" is central Florida? I'm expecting guided tours for big, ocean-going, meat-eating fish if I ever make it out there. Don't try and pawn off any of that land-locked stuff on me!

On a serious note though, good luck to you and the family. And you don't have to only visit us here when you are coming west. There is a fairly lightly used section of this forum called "other destinations." We expect to see it have some more use in the near future! :twisted:

:D Good luck, Barrie :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby stanbery » October 19th, 2009, 2:04 am

Barrie

Good luck with the move. The one thing I do miss about Florida is the light shows that can happen at night.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby DubL HauL » October 19th, 2009, 9:53 am

Barrie

Don't know you personally but have enjoyed reading your reports over the years. The Kern will miss you. Good luck with the move and please post some pics of your new habitat.

Andy
DubL HauL

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing