REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Found Rod/Reel

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Found Rod/Reel

Postby darrin terry » November 7th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Hey all,

While out fishing the royal today, I found a fly rod and reel. If you can tell me the rod model, line, and reel model, then I'll gladly make arrangements to return it to you.

Darrin

PS – If you can tell me the Serial Number, so much the better. That would eliminate all questions of course as I don't want to give it to the wrong person. Still, the inf0 requested above should do…
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Re: Found Rod/Reel

Postby anacrime » November 8th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Did you leave a note where you found it?
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » November 8th, 2009, 10:59 pm

In the dirt? No.

Actually, it did not occur to me, nor did I have any way of doing so. Hopefully someone will either see the posts or report it in another way that I will get word of it.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby darrin terry » November 10th, 2009, 11:02 am

Bump. Wanna keep this near the top for a week or two to give someone a chance a recovering the rod.
darrin terry

Postby Gary C. » November 10th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Darrin, if you have not done so already you might let the local flyshops to where you found it know. Thats seems like the most likely place a guy would check.
Gary C.

Postby darrin terry » November 10th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Yeah, did that too, Gary. They'll get the info from anyone that comes in and forward it to me.
darrin terry

Postby anacrime » November 10th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:In the dirt? No.

Actually, it did not occur to me, nor did I have any way of doing so. Hopefully someone will either see the posts or report it in another way that I will get word of it.

I left a note under a rock one time. It worked. Most folks will check the place they last remember leaving something 8-)
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby darrin terry » November 11th, 2009, 11:28 am

I believe the owner has been located. I've a phone number and will be contacting them this evening. 8-)

Talked to him a little while ago. The rod has been claimed. :D
darrin terry

Postby RichardCullip » November 11th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:I believe the owner has been located. I've a phone number and will be contacting them this evening. 8-)

Talked to him a little while ago. The rod has been claimed. :D

That's great news, Darrin. I'd love to hear the story on how the rod was lost and how you found it.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby darrin terry » November 11th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Simple enough, Richard. I was just arriving at the river last Sat. morning, driving along the high back back of AL. As I was pulling to one side to park, I saw something odd. It was a very straight line in the dust/dirt where I was about to park. Just as the near end of this line disappeared beyond my hood, I realized there was what appeared to be a reel there as well. I stopped real quick and hopped out to see what it was I'd found. Turned out to be a Scott SVS 9'0" 6wt with A Teton Tioga reel, line and dry fly.

When I talked to the owner, he said something about it having fell from his rig or some such.

Nice find. There was car ahead of me with two guys rigging up rods. Obviously they'd not dropped it. So I stashed it in the truck for the day. Never saw anyone looking around. When I got home I posted on the KRFF and here. Then I called Herb Bauer's here in Fresno and told the fishing dept. manager about having found it, but no details. He called me yesterday saying he had someone that had lost a rig and gave me the number. I then called the guy at lunch today and confirmed it was the same rig. He'll have it back in time for his trip this weekend.

It's not too hard to imagine being in his shoes, hoping someone would find and turn it in somehow. Glad one of my attempts turned out for him. He was all set to replace the outfit real quick like for his trip this weekend. Cost the shop a sale, but shows good character from the manager in letting the guy know. Personally, while I like the way the rod casts, I'm just as glad to get it back to the guy.

I'll say this, not buying a Scott rod just got more difficult. This was not even one of their nicer rods and it cast quite nicely, dropping a dry very gently within inches of my target leaf on the lawn. Much nicer than I expect from a 6wt. Hmm, maybe it's time to start saving for a dry fly rod. Mayhap there's a G2 in my future. :?:
darrin terry

Postby briansII » November 11th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:Simple enough, Richard. I was just arriving at the river last Sat. morning, driving along the high back back of AL. As I was pulling to one side to park, I saw something odd. It was a very straight line in the dust/dirt where I was about to park. Just as the near end of this line disappeared beyond my hood, I realized there was what appeared to be a reel there as well. I stopped real quick and hopped out to see what it was I'd found. Turned out to be a Scott SVS 9'0" 6wt with A Teton Tioga reel, line and dry fly.

When I talked to the owner, he said something about it having fell from his rig or some such.

Nice find. There was car ahead of me with two guys rigging up rods. Obviously they'd not dropped it. So I stashed it in the truck for the day. Never saw anyone looking around. When I got home I posted on the KRFF and here. Then I called Herb Bauer's here in Fresno and told the fishing dept. manager about having found it, but no details. He called me yesterday saying he had someone that had lost a rig and gave me the number. I then called the guy at lunch today and confirmed it was the same rig. He'll have it back in time for his trip this weekend.

It's not too hard to imagine being in his shoes, hoping someone would find and turn it in somehow. Glad one of my attempts turned out for him. He was all set to replace the outfit real quick like for his trip this weekend. Cost the shop a sale, but shows good character from the manager in letting the guy know. Personally, while I like the way the rod casts, I'm just as glad to get it back to the guy.

I'll say this, not buying a Scott rod just got more difficult. This was not even one of their nicer rods and it cast quite nicely, dropping a dry very gently within inches of my target leaf on the lawn. Much nicer than I expect from a 6wt. Hmm, maybe it's time to start saving for a dry fly rod. Mayhap there's a G2 in my future. :?:

Good job Darrin. I think i'll send you some flies for your good deed. ;) And no, I haven't forgot. I'm just slow. :oops:

Scotts are very nice rods. I _had_ one of their top of the line rods at the time. The S2. It was brand new and I lost it along with a Lamson Litespeed. :cry: There must be something about Scotts, that they get lost easily. ;) The original Gs are supposed to be very sweet rods.

briansII
briansII

Postby RichardCullip » November 11th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:Simple enough, Richard. I was just arriving at the river last Sat. morning, driving along the high back back of AL. As I was pulling to one side to park, I saw something odd. It was a very straight line in the dust/dirt where I was about to park. Just as the near end of this line disappeared beyond my hood, I realized there was what appeared to be a reel there as well. I stopped real quick and hopped out to see what it was I'd found. Turned out to be a Scott SVS 9'0" 6wt with A Teton Tioga reel, line and dry fly.

Thanks for the details, Darrin. Now I know the "rest of the story".

I'm a bit paranoid about driving off and leaving something critical behind. A few years ago I almost lost my wading boots on the way to fish the Kern. I somehow left the boots on the back bumper of my truck while I was packing my fishing gear. I was on the road, almost ready to get on the freeway, when another driver got my attention and let me know where my boots were. I was able to pull over and save my boots from being lost on the drive up the canton to the river. I can easily seeing myself setting a rod down, perhaps leaning it up against the side of my truck, and driving off to leave it behind.

I commend you for your honesty and the effort you took to find the rightful owner.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby rayfound » November 11th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Darrin Terry wrote:Cost the shop a sale, but shows good character from the manager in letting the guy know. Personally, while I like the way the rod casts, I'm just as glad to get it back to the guy.

Maybe it Didn't cost the shop a sale...Karma
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby darrin terry » November 11th, 2009, 5:39 pm

True. In the sense being good customer relations will bring people back. Works with me.

Unfortunately this shop, in fact, no shop in my area sells Scott rods. I think I'd have to make a trip to L.A. or Sacramento to check one out. That's a 3 hour drive to wiggle/cast a rod. :shock: We'll see.

I've bought three rods from the shop here though, so they get good bit of my business as is. Especially considering fly tying materials, 3 rods, a Galvan reel, etc..
darrin terry

Return to General Fly Fishing