REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fluorocarbon

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fluorocarbon

Postby rkfiske » January 20th, 2010, 2:38 pm

So... tippet spools of fluorocarbon are really pricey and it's one of those things I buy then think "I can probably do this for alot cheaper". So my question is, do you guys refill tippet spools with bulk fluorocarbon to save some $$? Is there a quality difference at all between the tippet spools designed for fly fisherman or is this another matter of fly fishermen will pay more than others? I'm curious if it's smaller diameter for the same break strength or something? Any recommendations for companies and equivalent poundage or diameter to say like 5x or maybe down to 6x? I run out of fluoro much faster than mono and my higher frequency of nymph fishing lately is not helping this at all :(
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: Fluorocarbon

Postby anacrime » January 20th, 2010, 2:46 pm

i think most spools have the diameter listed

some companies overstate their breaking strength, others under. Berkeley is an example of the former, Yozuri of the latter. there was testing done, perhaps search the internetz

and yeah, i refill sometimes.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby RiverRat » January 20th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Take your tippet with you to the store and compare and pick the one you like the most. There are some really good lines out there. I refill with 2-4lb Vanish and don't have problems.

shane
RiverRat

Postby darrin terry » January 20th, 2010, 3:38 pm

I refill the spools of fluoro with comparable test material (Seaguar). I do NOT do the same with mono.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Jim T » January 20th, 2010, 3:47 pm

I just started refilling with Vanish so the jury is out for me as to how it compares.

Jim
Jim T

Postby gabe » January 20th, 2010, 4:01 pm

i use vanish for my butt section of my leader on my nymph setups.
also use it for a straight leader for carp and in the surf.
gabe

Postby FlyinFish » January 20th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Hey Ryan, I've thought the same thing many times. I've not reached a grand conclusion and just buy the Rio Fluoro tippet spools for about $12 for a couple reasons.

1.) Dean said so, so I do it... but seriously, he threw some at me when I was first starting out and heading to the Kern. I soon realized that the fish didn't really care if I was fishing 7X or 5X. I don't know if this has anything to do with the FC or not, but I'm too lazy to test it.

2.) I really like the way the spools are with the elastic and the little hole and I'm too lazy to consider refilling them with another line.

3.) I personally notice a difference between the Rio tippet and Trilene and PLine FC. I've spent a lot of time fishing 2# mono as well as PLine FluoroClear (FC coated line, not pure FC). And I also fished those lines as my tippet when I first started out fly fishing. I feel like the Rio tippet is just as thin but stronger, more abrasion resistant, and stiffer yet still smooth and still supple (not as much memory as mono). You may think you want a softer line with fly fishing, but that usually leads to a coiled up curled mess on the surface. A nice stiff line will unfurl smoothly and help the fly land more naturally, causing those shuddering strikes where the fish hits the fly before it even lands on the water.

Now, I haven't ever fished straight FC lines for spinning gear in 2# or 3# or 4#. So, maybe those are just as good. But I feel like the fly lines are just better and are designed specifically to be used as tippet. The large spools are meant to fill a reel and be used with long casts with lots of line out and lots of stretch and so on. I don't think this is ideal for tippet and does not feel right to me. It's usually not diameter I'm concerned with for tippet. It's things like low memory, stiffness, smoothness, consistency, shock absorption, and abrasion resistance. What I'm saying is, the tippet material seems to be a balance of light line with the ability to lay down a fly and be dragged through bushes and trees and such. Gear fishing line is just too * thin and too soft and relies a lot on stretch and distribution of load along lots of yardage.

If you buy what some sell as FC leader (for gear fishing) material, that's pretty much as close as you can get, I think. But in that case... 25 yds of 4# Seaguar is $9... so, I figure you might as well get the tippet material that's designed for being tippet.

Maybe there are some better deals out there. But Seaguar is what I trust for gear fishing. It may be worth a try, but I bought my spool of 7X a few years ago and it's just now running out. It's not as pricey as you think when you see how long it lasts. And the tippet material just feels better to me and deals with what I put it through without detracting the fish from my ball of fur.

Just think of the money you saved on your wand... That should cover your tippet for the rest of your life!
FlyinFish

Postby rayfound » January 20th, 2010, 4:33 pm

I just buy the 110 yd spools of Mono. 4x, 5x, 6x and call it a day. But you know me ryan, I'm cheap - so when you find some cheap floro - well, I'll be happy to buy some off you to try for droppers.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby briansII » January 20th, 2010, 4:38 pm

rkfiske wrote:So... tippet spools of fluorocarbon are really pricey and it's one of those things I buy then think "I can probably do this for alot cheaper". So my question is, do you guys refill tippet spools with bulk fluorocarbon to save some $$? Is there a quality difference at all between the tippet spools designed for fly fisherman or is this another matter of fly fishermen will pay more than others? I'm curious if it's smaller diameter for the same break strength or something? Any recommendations for companies and equivalent poundage or diameter to say like 5x or maybe down to 6x? I run out of fluoro much faster than mono and my higher frequency of nymph fishing lately is not helping this at all :(

I can only speak to Seaguar Grand Max, and a couple other Seaguar brands. I have used Rio flouro, but not enough to give much feedback. There is definitely a difference with Seaguar Grand Max. Higher test and thinner diameters. Comparing it to say Seaguar Blue Label, you can see it's stronger, and thinner. Comparing it to other brands like Trilene or Maxima, it's rated stronger for it's diameter.....much stronger. Could be "hype", but i've found it to be very strong, and knots well. I have dislodged snags from the river bottom, and broken fly lines(1X)using it. Seems to have very good abrasion resistence.....I used it a lot for LMB fishing. Downside is, it's a little stiff. I have some Seaguar, Abrazx that i'm not impressed with. Grand Max is expensive, but i've found some good deals. I have enough inventory to last me quite a while.

briansII
briansII

Postby Graham Owen » January 20th, 2010, 4:57 pm

I think I've tried just about every brand of flouro and for the past year or so I've been very satisfied using P-line Halo 100% flourocarbon, mist green. I buy 200 yard spools at Sport Chalet for $21.99 I know it can be found cheaper online, but I live in Burbank, and Sport Chalet is convieniently right down the street... I use 6 and 8 lb for the big browns back east, and have no complaints...
Graham Owen

Postby Papasequoia » January 20th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Papa's Fishin' Tips #27: Leaders and tippet are for sissies. Just tie the fly right to the fly line and voilá, no more complaints about getting broken off by a big fish!

For an autographed copy of Papa's Fishin' Tips, send $29.99 now to the address on your screen. But wait! If you order in the next five minutes we'll throw in a second copy of the book absolutely free! Yes, that's right folks, two books for the price of one!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program or thread. :D

(PS I haven't done it yet, but picked up 110 yards of Vanish at Walmart very cheap and plan on loading up my spool when it finishes)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Eric » January 20th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Graham Owen wrote:I think I've tried just about every brand of flouro and for the past year or so I've been very satisfied using P-line Halo 100% flourocarbon, mist green. I buy 200 yard spools at Sport Chalet for $21.99 I know it can be found cheaper online, but I live in Burbank, and Sport Chalet is convieniently right down the street... I use 6 and 8 lb for the big browns back east, and have no complaints...

I also use P-line halo. I've never had a problem with it.
Eric
Eric

Postby rkfiske » January 20th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input. I wouldn't normally care too much about 12 bucks but I go through quite a bit of the fluoro losing droppers to tre-I mean big fish. I'll investigate vanish, I think I can steal some from my girlfriend's spinfishing father to try out :)
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby midger » January 20th, 2010, 6:31 pm

I just spool up the old Mitchell 300 with mono that I get from WalMart. Doesn't cast well on the 3 weights unless I'm using heavily weighted streamers, but it's cheap............. :twisted:

Seriously, I use Varivas fluro almost exclusively, but have used Rio and other major brands. I don't see why the Sport Chalet stuff wouldn't work, I just don't want to * with respooling the stuff to the spools I carry on the stream now. I go through lots of 3-5X, rarely using 6 or smaller.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby duckdog » January 20th, 2010, 6:49 pm

i've been using fluoro for a few year's now and have been happiest with the rio-plus. orvis mirage was ok but the orvis maxknot is knot very good.i bought a spool of it and used it for about a half hour, pop, pop,pop, 3 medium sized hot creek fish gone. switched back to the rio,- no problem with similar and bigger fish. never really thought about re-spooling w/ cheaper stuff, might look into the p-line halo for streamer's but i think i'll be sticking with the rio-plus for the 5x-7x.
p.s.--for sale , 1 spool of orvis tippet material, slightly used but the spool has a few scuff marks from me stomping on it. willing to trade for a bag of frito's.....a snack sized bag will do.
duckdog

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing