REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly Fishing Show in Pasadena

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly Fishing Show in Pasadena

Postby fly_baby » January 26th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Does anyone know how to get free tickets to the show?

Ava
Carpe Diem does not mean 'fish of the day'
fly_baby

Re: Fly Fishing Show in Pasadena

Postby fly addict » January 27th, 2010, 9:02 am

No, :( but I'll take some if you can find some. :)

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby duckdog » January 27th, 2010, 9:07 am

when is the show ?
duckdog

Postby briansII » January 27th, 2010, 9:29 am

duckdog wrote:when is the show ?

Mar 13 & 14.

http://www.flyfishingshow.com/Pasadena.html

As far as I know, free tickets to The Fly Fishing Show, are not that easy to come by. The ISE shows are easier to find freebies.

briansII
briansII

Postby Flyjunkie » January 27th, 2010, 10:04 am

To get free tickets, simply wait by the ticket booth, wearing a mask and after some Kind Elder Flyfisher buys his tickets, Mug him and steel his Tickets.... :D :D :D ;)

(Just Kiddin'...)

I have no idea how to get Free Tickets, Thought I get in for free cause I am either working at the Spot's booth, or a Fly tyer at the Shindig....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby beachbum » January 27th, 2010, 10:10 am

I don't mind paying, and attend every year. The last few years, it seems like the show is declining a bit, but it's always fun. I really enjoy the tiers like Dean, visiting with old friends, and seeing what's new in the flyfishing world.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby fly_baby » January 27th, 2010, 10:58 am

Well, if Dean is tying then it's worth the price of admission! :rockon:
fly_baby

Postby Flyjunkie » January 27th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Unfortunately, I'll not by tying this Year... Gotta work the Spot's booth...... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby fly_baby » January 27th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Okay, Dean isn't tying :( , is it worth going for 2 days or is one day sufficient?
fly_baby

Postby midger » January 27th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Not to sound callous, but if it hasn't improved from a couple of years ago, a couple of hours there is more than enough. Of course, I don't need anything, so visiting shops, product dealers doesn't do much for me. There were some good presentations, but you have to be interested in the topic, and there are probably only one or two at each show you may want to see. Let's hope they're scheduled fairly close together.

I don't know how this year's show is structured but a couple year's ago, the presentaions repeated on Sunday, so you could hit what you wanted in one day.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Eric » January 27th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Last year most of the major vendors passed on the show Let's hope they decide to show up this year.
Eric
Eric

Postby briansII » January 27th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Eric wrote:Last year most of the major vendors passed on the show Let's hope they decide to show up this year.
Eric

Sage has already said they were doing only one West Coast show. That was the San Mateo, ISE show. I'm pretty sure, some other big names are following this thinking. I hope this show, and the Pleasenton shows have a good turnout. Maybe it will lead to the "big boys" showing back up.

I've read the East Coast, The Fly Fishing Shows were a big success this year. Lots of stuff to see, and lots of people there to see it.

briansII
briansII

Postby beachbum » January 27th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Can't wait to see what good things you guys have at your booth this year, Dean! Last year I bought a dozen white clousers for 99 cents each. I can't count the number of fish I caught from the surf on those flies! Most have been chewed to shreds, or left in jaws of fish.

I agree with Mike, half a day is more then enough to see the sights. One of the things I really enjoy is running into folks you have met fishing over the years.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby 8NoFish » January 28th, 2010, 8:00 pm

i went to the show in pasadena last year on the second day (sunday).

i was a little disappointed at the size of the show. i really only remember one or two big-time equipment manufacturers there - abel and maybe hardy. other notable exhibitors were the fishermen's spot flyshop, kane klassics and marc petijean, the cdc guy.

the crowd was fairly sparse, which made watching demos and looking at exhibits easy. i'm sure the show organizers had to be disappointed at the ticket sales. the side benefit of the low turnout was the fact that i got to have a nice conversation with a k best - i was really surprised that there were so few people who wanted to talk to such a big name. for such a small show, i would have to say that there were more big-time fly fishing personalities doing demos and talks than you would expect.

all in all, it was a nice show. a little small, but nice. i enjoyed myself.

for all the fly fishermen living in southern california, it's really important for everyone to try to attend the pasadena show. if the attendance is small, then the pasadena show will continue to shrink and eventually, they won't have a socal show - and the pleasanton show in northern california is too far to go.
8nofish

http://www.krop.com/ghiramatsu/ illustration gallery
http://ghiramatsu.carbonmade.com/ graphic design / illustration / Photography
http://ghgraphicfish.blogspot.com/ blog
8NoFish

Postby fly addict » January 28th, 2010, 8:44 pm

I went last year and was not impressed. I think Bob Marriott's open house is much better and is free. I know I will not attend this year because I have more important things to do that weekend like fish the LO and hope the Caddis hatch goes off that weekend. :)

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing