REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Most frightening experience while fishing?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Most frightening experience while fishing?

Postby beachbum » February 6th, 2010, 11:54 am

Hatch71 wrote:Ray.... That was a great post man.... This would actually be a great idea for a book. I just read through them all and it brings many things to mind. When your in nature anything can happen and you have to be ready. I fortunately have not had any of these yet while fishing because I'm still a new addict :)

But as a long time hunter and outdoorsman I always have several things with me. You have to have a basic kit with you at all times I don't care how hot it is there are many things that can fit right on a small poutch or key chain. You need a fire started, knife or multi tool, first aide, compass, small light (lED) and a couple of feet of Para Cord. These things can provide you with everything you need to create shelter. Now this is just a basic kit that can fit in your vest, Rump pack or what ever you carry your gear in. You should all look into this. Not a lot but can save your life. You can die with in feet of a road or town from the elements.

Chris

That's good advice, Chris. I carry a pack with survival gear too. It comes from years of being a climber, and backcountry powder skier. While I have had some close calls fishing, it's nothing compared to the things that have happened on the side of a mountain. Being prepared is a way of life!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Benny » February 6th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Wow! Some really cool stories for sure :shock:

The most frightening moment for me was while fly fishing on the Kern a few years back. I was up there with Gabe on one of our suicide runs we used to make.

We usually will split up and take on different beats on the river like most guys fishing together. While I was wading some thigh high water trying to get over to a more fishy looking run, the water was running fairly fast and cold. Well I happened to loose my footing and slipped while facing down river. I was like a turtle on it's back gasping for air while floating down river. My head went under and I could feel my waders filling with water down my back. I was trying to stop myself and kept trying to get a footing and keeping my head above water. I finally was able to stop myself when I turn over in some shallower water. I was on all four in the river, the first thing I checked once I stood up was my fly rod, I could not believe I did not let it go and to boot it didn't break.

I have slipped and taken dunks in the past, but quickly regained my footing and was back on my feet almost instantly. On this particular day I could not stop from being taken down river. I came home scared, I realized how easy it was to become one of the numbers/statistics on the board counting fatalities when entering the canyon from Bakersfield.
Benny

Postby castaway » February 7th, 2010, 12:58 am

Friday, while on the river, I farted in my waders.... then when I sat down, a big puff of air hit me right in the nose... darn near made me pass out. be careful!
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby fly addict » February 7th, 2010, 8:55 am

castaway wrote:Friday, while on the river, I farted in my waders.... then when I sat down, a big puff of air hit me right in the nose... darn near made me pass out. be careful!

Thats why you never buy used waders! :lol:

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby duckdog » February 7th, 2010, 1:23 pm

while i have had some scary stuff happen while hunting and while surfing, my fishing experience's have not given me anything that you would call frightening. the game warden at the southside sportsmens club did threaten to shoot me once, but i really don't think he was serious . though he probibly got a good laugh out of the bug-eyed look on my face.- mike
duckdog

Postby Tuna » February 8th, 2010, 1:50 pm

1.fly fishin' a small creek in a granite enclosed canyon i slid down a smooth faced slab to fish a perfect lookin' plunge pool. after landing a couple nice bows it was time to exit the canyon. i had a 6' smooth as silk granite ledge to get over before i could hike out. as i threw my gear over the top and tried to lift myself over i slipped backward and ended up neck deep in an Indian well dislocating my shoulder in the process. i don't know how deep that depression was but after extracting myself my ro tip never found the bottom. i sat on that ledge for a good hour before i could get my shoulder and bruised * over the top of the ledge and back to the beer. i mean my truck :D .
2.early spring this year while wading some tall grass i walked upon a 5' western rattler (yeah, i got that close). i heard that all too familiar rattle and hissing and knew that the snake was very close and very *. i caught the snake out the corner of my eye as he was in mid strike. i jumped to my left as the snake missed my right thigh, screamed my loudest girly man scream and crapped my waders all in one.
and this is why you don't buy used waders :funnyup: !
3.flipped my pontoon boat on the lower kings a few years ago while floating at 4500cfs. got pinned under the boat for what seemed like forever, lost approximately $400 in gear to include having the shirt ripped off my back. i did recover the cooler and beer later in the season when the flows dropped.

Tony
Tuna

Postby darrin terry » February 8th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Welcome, Tony! :D :D :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby fly addict » February 8th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Tuna wrote:1.fly fishin' a small creek in a granite enclosed canyon i slid down a smooth faced slab to fish a perfect lookin' plunge pool. after landing a couple nice bows it was time to exit the canyon. i had a 6' smooth as silk granite ledge to get over before i could hike out. as i threw my gear over the top and tried to lift myself over i slipped backward and ended up neck deep in an Indian well dislocating my shoulder in the process. i don't know how deep that depression was but after extracting myself my ro tip never found the bottom. i sat on that ledge for a good hour before i could get my shoulder and bruised * over the top of the ledge and back to the beer. i mean my truck :D .
2.early spring this year while wading some tall grass i walked upon a 5' western rattler (yeah, i got that close). i heard that all too familiar rattle and hissing and knew that the snake was very close and very *. i caught the snake out the corner of my eye as he was in mid strike. i jumped to my left as the snake missed my right thigh, screamed my loudest girly man scream and crapped my waders all in one.
and this is why you don't buy used waders :funnyup: !
3.flipped my pontoon boat on the lower kings a few years ago while floating at 4500cfs. got pinned under the boat for what seemed like forever, lost approximately $400 in gear to include having the shirt ripped off my back. i did recover the cooler and beer later in the season when the flows dropped.

Tony

Tony,

Have you ever thought of taking up another sport. Maybe somthing like lawn bowling!
:funnyup:

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby rayfound » February 8th, 2010, 6:14 pm

fly addict wrote:Tony,

Have you ever thought of taking up another sport. Maybe somthing like lawn bowling!
:funnyup:

Mark

Lawn bowling, as in Bocce Ball? Don't even think about it!

http://www.flyfishingaddicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1317
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby fly_baby » February 8th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Well guys, I don't know what to say. The machismo is just oozing from this thread!

I don't have any stories that even compare to any of yours - I guess that's because of...um, I'm a GIRL, duh. :D :D :D

These stories make for a good read so thanks for sharing! :bananadance: :bananadance:

fly_baby
Carpe Diem does not mean 'fish of the day'
fly_baby

Postby Papasequoia » February 8th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Tuna wrote:i jumped to my left as the snake missed my right thigh, screamed my loudest girly man scream and crapped my waders all in one.
and this is why you don't buy used waders!

Hey Tony, good to 'see' you! You didn't happen to lend your waders to Bill/Castaway, did you? :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby duckdog » February 9th, 2010, 9:03 am

fly_baby,the reason that girl's don't have stories that compair w/ those of the guy's is that girl's tend to be smarter than us. a wise man once said" stupid is as stupid does " , and that's all i have to say about that.
duckdog

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing