REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishermen’s fear: Publics right to fish shifting under Obama

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fishermen’s fear: Publics right to fish shifting under Obama

Postby duckdog » March 11th, 2010, 9:53 am

i have not looked at the information in question personaly so i will not comment on it.
that said , i cannot think of a field more awash in advanced degree's and yet so lacking in wisdom as the field of politics and government.
yes, president cupcake may be intellegent but i don't believe he posses'es (?) very much in the way of wisdom, and unfortunatly what he does possess is the ability to look you in the eye , pee down your back , and tell you that it's raining.
my immediate reaction to all this was- federal fishing permit-income stream for fed.gov.
i don't believe they will stop fishing- they will tax it.
like i said , i need to read the information. but in the meantime---my 2 cents.
mike
duckdog

Postby rayfound » March 11th, 2010, 9:56 am

I love politics!
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby FlyinFish » March 11th, 2010, 9:58 am

MLPA... MLPA... MLPA...

No other time in my life have I felt less American and free than in dealing with the MLPA.
FlyinFish

Postby super dry fly » March 11th, 2010, 10:10 am

Flyin Fish, you just beat me to the punch.

For those of you living in CA, this proposal should not sound so bizarre. Our marine resources are already being "managed" away from the fishing community through the MLPA process. By this time a next year a number of the coastal areas I dive and fish will be off limits to any kind of fishing :fireangry:. One of the most frustrating parts for me is that the fishing community (and probably especially the fly fishing community) tend to be some of the most conservative and protective users of the resources that these MLPAs seek to protect. By creating no take fishing zones without the ability to enforce these areas effectively, the State will effectively create wide open zones for poachers to invade.

If/when the feds decide to take a similar course with our inland fisheries, it will be extremely important for all affected users to be involved early in the process. The MLPAs have slipped by without enough public involvement, hopefully we can all learn from this travesty.

Gabe
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby FlyinFish » March 11th, 2010, 10:37 am

super dry fly wrote:If/when the feds decide to take a similar course with our inland fisheries, it will be extremely important for all affected users to be involved early in the process. The MLPAs have slipped by without enough public involvement, hopefully we can all learn from this travesty.

Gabe

Gabe, public involvement won't do crap. Sorry to be rash. "They" are working the game and system. They make it seem like they're including the public, but eventually just ignore us all together and do what they want. That's the scariest part. There's nothing we can do. No protesting, showing up to meetings, or voting. It's completely out of our hands. We push and push, then they just do what they want. How do we stop them?

And in general, all we can even fantasize about doing is reduce the closures. The MLPA itself is already in place. And yup, they started slow. A bit with the channel islands, then it spread... North Coast, Central, South, and so on.

Sorry, I can't think much more about this. Boils my blood too much. If you folks are interested in hearing more, let me or Gabe know and we'll send you some links. I can't type anymore about it without punching a hole in the wall... with my head...

My only hope is that there are a ton of good lawyers that enjoy fly fishing.
FlyinFish

Postby super dry fly » March 11th, 2010, 1:36 pm

I agree the MLPA process has invloved a good deal of bait and switch. The biggest issue derailing the "public" process with the MLPA has been the private funding source used to move this initiative forward. To say that there is a conflict of interest would be an understatement.

I guess my naivity and faith in the wisdom of others still pushes me towards the importance of public involvement - if enough (if that's possible) voices are heard, maybe it will make a difference. For the MLPA process it seems not enough people were/are aware of what is going on. The fact that it took 20 posts on a fishing forum before someone identified the MLPA parallel to this proposed federal process is a testament to that.

I also hope (and pray) that somehow the judicial system will see through the crap that has been foisted upon us, but regrettably I am in no way holding my breath.

So who wants to go fishing?!?
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby FlyinFish » March 11th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Also, that's just true for the MLPA. A bigger or national issue may not make it through so easily. So yes, public involvement is key. They can't know what you think and feel unless you tell them... But for the MLPA, we're taking it in the butt.

At least they can't close off the Coronados...

Here, here, make every cast like it's your last!
FlyinFish

Postby Sasha » March 11th, 2010, 4:28 pm

fly addict wrote:
Sasha,

Maybe ldr needs to do some more research on the issue!!! :lol:

Mark

Well I posted the reply so I could get clarification before I went off "half *" or something :lol: ;)
Sasha

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing