REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

favorite brand of intermediate line?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

favorite brand of intermediate line?

Postby rkfiske » June 3rd, 2010, 10:27 am

What's ur fave? Lookin for a 6wt line for stillwater stuff!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Re: favorite brand of intermediate line?

Postby RichardCullip » June 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am

I've been using Rio's Outbound Short line (Intermediate sink) on my 6wt and love it. It has a 30ft head integrated into a thin running line so you can boom out the casts a long ways. The 30ft head for the 6wt weighs in at 240grn which gives the proper weight to load up a 6wt with only 30ft of line in the air. It's a great line for stillwater.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby rayfound » June 3rd, 2010, 11:26 am

My SA Striper Line (intermediate) on my 8wt is nice. I have little to compare to, but it is very nice and slick. But...my SA floating line is a POS. So i dunno what to say.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby RiverRat » June 3rd, 2010, 11:39 am

SA intermediate clear..first generation. It's over twelve years old and casts like new! Awesome line. It has hundreds of float tube trips on it up in the PAC NW when the rivers were always washed out from rain and lakes were the only option for trout fishermen.

shane
RiverRat

Postby Danny McB » June 3rd, 2010, 12:14 pm

I have the rio max 30' shooting head and love it. Just like Richard but this is just the head and then you buy the running line seperate. I chose the max shooting head over the outbound because I was able to buy a full sink for the surf, intermediate for the bays, and a floater for my warm water stuff. The shooting head systems take a little longer to figure out (terminology and casting) but now that I know I doubt I will ever go back to full lines on anything over 5 wt. I really love the shooting head systems.

Danny McB

EDIT: I do have the integrated lines from airflo as well on my 8wt and love them. I am just liking the shooting system more now, but airflo makes great lines as well IMO
Danny McB

Postby briansII » June 3rd, 2010, 12:35 pm

RiverRat wrote:SA intermediate clear..first generation. It's over twelve years old and casts like new! Awesome line. It has hundreds of float tube trips on it up in the PAC NW when the rivers were always washed out from rain and lakes were the only option for trout fishermen.

shane

I have a old Orvis, clear intermediate, in a 6wt. It's still one of my all-time favorite lines to fish. Unfortunately, it's old(8 years?) enough, that I seriously doubt there are any left in stock anywhere.

If I were in the market for a new I line, I would look at Orvis, Airflo, and Cortland. I own more Rio and SA lines than anything else, but for a full intermediate "trout" line, I think i'd choose one of the above.

briansII
briansII

Postby flyster » June 3rd, 2010, 5:48 pm

Cortland clear camo.
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby rkfiske » June 3rd, 2010, 7:50 pm

Wow, lots of great info but unfortunately many different choices! I have some serious thinking to do. Richard, is the outbound short you're talking about an intermediate head as well as intermediate running line? I'll have to take a look at those, it'd be nice to get some serious distance with it! I can never remember... do you buy the actual line weight you need or do you up it two line weights for the outbound?
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby RichardCullip » June 3rd, 2010, 7:55 pm

rkfiske wrote:Wow, lots of great info but unfortunately many different choices! I have some serious thinking to do. Richard, is the outbound short you're talking about an intermediate head as well as intermediate running line? I'll have to take a look at those, it'd be nice to get some serious distance with it! I can never remember... do you buy the actual line weight you need or do you up it two line weights for the outbound?

Rio's Outbound Short lines are already up lined by two line weight so order the 6wt line for a 6wt rod. I'm not sure if the running line is a floating line or an intermediate line but it's thin enough it will sink just from the weight of the intermediate head section. It's got a great color transition from head to running line to give a nice visual clue on when you got the right amount of line outside the rod tip for getting a great load on the rod while casting. I like the line a lot.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to General Fly Fishing