REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New to Fly Fishing Addicts

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

New to Fly Fishing Addicts

Postby hookupkid » June 21st, 2010, 6:09 pm

Hey guys it is me Gabriel. If you guys don't know exactly who i am, I'm an addict like all the rest of you (obviously). My grandpa is John also known as flyster. Ive been fishing for as long as i can remember and I have a good memory. I've personally only met a few other addicts other than my grandpa. I'd like to say hello to the people I've already fished with; Will, Justin, Mark, Graham, Ryan, Sherry and Rick. I think i forgot some people, but sorry if i did. My grandpa is getting tired of me telling him to log on to read new replies, and post images of us fishing. So I'll try my best to try to keep up with you guys. I fish in all areas salt and fresh water. I don't have a favorite it all depends on the season, and were they are biting. In salt water fishing i like to use my spinning gear with my lures. Fresh water rivers it is a %100 fly rod fishing. When fly fishing in rivers i like to use drys and nymphs. But in lakes I like to use spinning gear because I like to use my plastic worms and my favorite poppers for bass because i love to watch them explode on them! I don't tie my own flies yet, but I've tied a few and forgot how to tie them again. I need A LOT of practice. I'm sure with the support I have from my grandpa and of course you guys, I'll do just fine.
Should of, could of, would of, but didn't.
hookupkid

Re: New to Fly Fishing Addicts

Postby darrin terry » June 21st, 2010, 6:14 pm

Welcome, Gabriel!

That's one heck of a first post and a better intro than most. You've an incredible journey with the flyrod ahead of you. I must say, I envy you that. Starting the journey so young, that is. Good for you and good for for your gramps, too. Keep having fun out there. 8-)

Looking forward to your posts. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Justin » June 21st, 2010, 6:20 pm

Gabriel,

Uh ohh, well now you've done it!! you gone and joined a gang :o Well at least we are only armed with Fly rods :rockon:
Glad you joined up, and I hope to see many more posts from you, and I hope to even be in a few myself ;)

Thanks for passing down the gear you grew out of to my kids, I hope some of that good mojo rubs off on them :lol:
You are definitely in good company here, and hopefully you can teach us all a thing or two :oops:
Cool screen name buy the way, and of corse you get the obligatory .........

NICE ACTION!!!!

Justin
Justin

Postby beachbum » June 21st, 2010, 6:21 pm

Gabriel!!! Welcome to the board. It's good to have someone from the next generation of fly fishers joining us.

For those of you that don't know Gabriel, or haven't had the pleasure of fishing with him, he's a fishing machine, and very well trained by his grampa John.

Now get your grampa to take you somewhere with big fish, and don't forget the pictures! 8-)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby WanderingBlues » June 21st, 2010, 6:47 pm

Welcome to the site! Look forward to all the reports, including the off-shore variety. I'm an iron slinger myself and it's almost time for the albacore!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby RichardCullip » June 21st, 2010, 7:36 pm

Welcome aboard, Gabriel. If I recall correctly, you were out on the beach hooking up big time the last time I came down and fished Malibu with Bill and the gang. Hope to read more of your reports.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby DubL HauL » June 21st, 2010, 7:58 pm

hookupkid cool handle...

You've got a hot hand keep it up. Will enjoy your reports.

Andy
DubL HauL

Postby flybob » June 21st, 2010, 8:39 pm

Welcome aboard Gabriel, you are very lucky, I just discovered fly fishing 5 years ago.....I am 53.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby 1mocast » June 21st, 2010, 11:14 pm

Welcome Gabriel, I will never forget that huge But you had beached...WOW!

Edit: I just realized that the carp you are holding is almost as big as you! NICE!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » June 22nd, 2010, 1:39 am

Gabriel

Welcome aboard. Very nice post.

Gramps(John) way to go and teach them young.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby RiverRat » June 22nd, 2010, 6:36 am

Best intro ever :rockon:

shane
RiverRat

Postby flyfishnevada » June 22nd, 2010, 10:20 am

Welcome from a fellow noobie. Great intro. My boy and I love throwing spinners and jigs for panfish and bass. It can be fast and furious.
flyfishnevada

Return to General Fly Fishing