REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Mono Vs. Fluoro

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Mono Vs. Fluoro

Postby strohble » October 22nd, 2008, 2:40 pm

I've talked to some guides and fly pros around here and quite a few of them swear by fluorocarbon leaders and tippet, even for dry flies. I've heard "stories" about how two guys on the same boat, one using mono the other fluoro, will have vastly different days, the one using fluoro catches way more fish then the guy using mono. I'm considering giving the fluoro a try but ten bucks a spool seems a little steep, but if it's worth the money and will get more hookups I guess we'll see. I'm just wondering what your experiences are between the two and which you prefer and why--Eric
There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. –Steven Wright

Read more: http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/7005-gre ... z2I9yew2Iw
Follow us: GoFISHn on Facebook
strohble

Re: Mono Vs. Fluoro

Postby darrin terry » October 22nd, 2008, 2:45 pm

I tend to use both. Mono for dries, usually. Fluoro for subsurface, again, usually. Fluoro is stronger than mono and more abrasion resistant. It does not float the way mono does though. Get the small spools, then if you like it, but the guide sized spools and use them to refill the small tippet spools. You save big time that way. Start off with just the size(s) you will use most often. Unless you build your own leaders in which case you get to buy it all at once.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Sasha » October 22nd, 2008, 2:49 pm

I catch fish on both :D Seriously I have not fished them side by side to be able to tell if one is better than the other. I have heard that fluoro is a lot less visible to the fish but then again the trout in my favorite spots are starved for food so they will hit anything that remotely looks like food ;)
Sasha

Postby rayfound » October 22nd, 2008, 2:59 pm

I've never manned-up and bought the Fluoro.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby 1mocast » October 22nd, 2008, 7:17 pm

strohble wrote:I've talked to some guides and fly pros around here and quite a few of them swear by fluorocarbon leaders and tippet, even for dry flies. I've heard "stories" about how two guys on the same boat, one using mono the other fluoro, will have vastly different days, the one using fluoro catches way more fish then the guy using mono. I'm considering giving the fluoro a try but ten bucks a spool seems a little steep, but if it's worth the money and will get more hookups I guess we'll see. I'm just wondering what your experiences are between the two and which you prefer and why--Eric
Haven't tried Floro yet, but if I notice the fish start refusing the flies, I try to go 1 size smaller on the tippet - Especially in slower, clear water...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby midger » October 22nd, 2008, 7:40 pm

I use fluro pretty much exclusively--streamers, nymphs, and dries. From 1X to 6X. I feel it is more effective for the way I fish--mainly nymphing, so I don't bother carrying regular mono as I don't like to carry doubles of tippet material. Yes, it is more expensive, but in the grand scheme of things, it's cost is a small portion of my fishing expenditures, so....... ;)

If I were exclusively a dry fly fisher, I wouldn't waste the extra $$ as regular mono tippet does float (slightly) better.

You make the call. :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby RichardCullip » October 23rd, 2008, 10:20 am

I had an interesting discussion with some of the guys at the High Country Fly shop in Jackson Hole, Wy. They don't stock fluorocarbon leaders or tippets. They had two main reasons 1) they felt you don't need it, mono works just fine (especially when throwing dry flies) and 2) they felt that the manufacturing process of making fluorocarbon puts alot of nasty greenhouse (ozone-depleting) chemicals in the air, so they are boycotting fluorocarbon and their small part in saving the planet.

Personally I've been using Rio's fluorocarbon tippet almost exclusively for the past four years. I went to it since it's rated a bit stronger than the equivalent diameter mono that Rio sells. Rio Fluoroflex tippet in 6X is rated at 3.6 lb while their mono Pwerflex tippet in 6X is rated at 3.4 lb. Not much difference but every little bit helps. I like having just a bit more strength on the thin stuff (5X, 6X and 7X) I use while trout fishing. I also do mostly nymphing and I've been told that fluorocarbon sinks a bit better than equivalent diameter mono.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby tycaster » October 23rd, 2008, 12:00 pm

When I use tippit, I usually use flouro. I fish mostly dries, too. I just grease it a little with floatant. Keeps it on top alright, though not quite as well as mono. There've been times when it seemed like I was getting more rises with flouro, but it wasn't obvious enough to base any conclusions on. The main problem I've had with it is that, when I break off, it's usually at the spot where the flouro is tied onto my mono leader, since that's the weak spot, and not at the fly, which is a waste of both material and time.
tycaster

Postby fly addict » October 23rd, 2008, 12:06 pm

I have been using fluoro for about a year. It has some pluses that I think far out way the minuses. The biggest problem with fluoro is tying knots that don’t fail. If your knots are shabby they will break with ease when using Fluoro. Tie good knots and lube them when you tighten them up. After you have caught a good fish or pulled hard to unstick a nymph on a snag you should retie with new Fluoro tippet. Once it has stretched it is very weak and will break with out much effort. Use good quality fluoro from Rio (fluoro- flexplus) or Frog Hair. I do not use fluoro leaders because of the cost. I use fluoro tippets for both dry and nymph fishing all of the time. Make sure you pickup your used fluoro while on the water, it does not break down very well. Bad for the fishes and other wildlife.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby csimcox » October 23rd, 2008, 6:03 pm

I don't remember the last time I had a roll of mono tippet. I always use floro, most often spools of RIO. Back when I started using floro it seemed to be the best deal and holds up great. As far as causing dries to sink... I usually just grease up my dry if it gets water logged.
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby Flyjunkie » October 23rd, 2008, 8:08 pm

In Saltwater it's Exclusively Fluoro... Stronger, more abrasion resistance, Knots Hold Great if you S-L-O-W-L-Y & Steadily Pull the Knot tight..

Freshwater I use Fluoro for the Tippet, but will use a Mono Tapered Leader and tie the Fluoro to it...

for Dries, I just put the Aquel on it.. No Noticeable Problems...

As to the Cost.. Since Fluoro breaks down at a slower rate then Mono, you'll get to use all 30 yds on the Spool.. as opposed to Mono which breaks down before the Average Angler can use it all up... So the Fluoro ends up (in the Long Haul) costing you Less....
But I'm like Midger/Mike.. I don't really worry about it's Cost.... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby briansII » October 23rd, 2008, 9:41 pm

I flip flop back and forth. No need for fluoro for my creek fishin'. Use fluoro for streamers, and most of the time for nymphing. If i'm fishing picky sippers, i'll go to 6x mono. I like a softer tippet, more than an invisible one. For heavy stuff like bass, I use 100% fluoro, for the abrasion resistence. Stripers, I go with 100%, abrasion resistent mono(Berkley Big Game). I like Seaguar Grand Max. Kinda stiff, but very strong.

briansII
briansII

Postby rayfound » October 24th, 2008, 6:25 am

Flyjunkie wrote:Since Fluoro breaks down at a slower rate then Mono, you'll get to use all 30 yds on the Spool.. as opposed to Mono which breaks down before the Average Angler can use it all up...

Just how long can Mono Last? Anything that can be done to extend lifespan?
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby Flyjunkie » October 24th, 2008, 7:20 am

rayfound wrote:
Just how long can Mono Last? Anything that can be done to extend lifespan?

At the Spot, we tell folks they can expect up to 2 years of use before the Mono is compromised... Thought usually it's about 1 1/2 years.. Exposure to direct Sunlight, UV rays cause the Oils in Mono to evaporate and weaken it's Strength... Fluoro stands up to the Sunlight and Uv rays for a longer stretch....

I've had some bad experiences Years ago with attempting to use Mono Leaders and Tippet past it's Time.. Brittle, wouldn't hold a Knot and broke with little effort... Nowadays I date each Leader back with a sharpie and always inspect Them before venturing out to fish... I also check Fluoro, but find it holds up well enough...

Like has been stated, I always "Trash collect" all Mono or Fluoro from my fishing and never leave it out there...(as long as it isn't in a inaccessible location).
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby Bernard » October 24th, 2008, 8:48 am

fly addict wrote:I have been using fluoro for about a year. It has some pluses that I think far out way the minuses. The biggest problem with fluoro is tying knots that don’t fail. If your knots are shabby they will break with ease when using Fluoro. Tie good knots and lube them when you tighten them up. After you have caught a good fish or pulled hard to unstick a nymph on a snag you should retie with new Fluoro tippet. Once it has stretched it is very weak and will break with out much effort. Use good quality fluoro from Rio (fluoro- flexplus) or Frog Hair. I do not use fluoro leaders because of the cost. I use fluoro tippets for both dry and nymph fishing all of the time. Make sure you pickup your used fluoro while on the water, it does not break down very well. Bad for the fishes and other wildlife.

I'm with you on much of your comment.

Let's not forget that in the end, although one can't always tell a fish not to rub against a granite boulder during a fight etc. there's still no substitute for keeping a good eye on your knots, tippet condition and executing reasonably skilled fights. These, to me, blur the advantages or disadvantages to flouro v.s. mono.

B
Bernard

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing