REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

... not what you think!

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

... not what you think!

Postby castaway » October 25th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Ok..

Here is the question - Someone who is fairly new to the sport of fly fishing has 400-600 dollars to spend..(or someone who does not catch many fish) (by the way Im not refering to me per-say)

In your opinion - would this person be better served to invest in some time with a guide, casting lessons, etc - or would this person be better served purchasing a ZXL, and a high end reel, or the like?

Also, considering this blank for next years spring creeks...opinions are welcome..
http://www.dancraftent.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=1662
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Re: ... not what you think!

Postby Benny » October 25th, 2008, 9:34 pm

I would say get an decent entry level fly rod and skip on the ZXL. With the extra cash he saves, he could buy all the other gear he needs. If your buddy has internet access he can watch plenty of instructional videos online for free. If he hangs with the right people he can learn alot from watching them as well. Practice casting in the yard or park also helps big time.
Hiring a guide will help with the learning curve but not all guides are good instructors. Some are there just to put you on the fish...Research the guide and find out if he is a certified casting instructor before he's hired.

On the rod blank I have no clue since I don't build rods. maybe some of the other guys will chime in on this.
Benny

Postby darrin terry » October 25th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Second…the blank. No clue.

Now that that is out of the way, the real meat of the issue.

$400-600 to spend.

With my vast, VAST I say, OK my 1.5 years experience in fly fishing says allow say $200-250 for rod reel line etc. Just the very basics to get started. The rest I would split between at least one casting lesson to get started and then maybe a half day with a guide. Kind of cover all the bases, you know. Although, if they are looking at getting started this time of year, waders are going to be needed if they plan on fishing thru the winter. Introduce them to Cabelas. Decent waders for little money. Better gear can come later, though you don't want to go too cheap on anything.

If this someone is the type who needs to catch a fish early, just to keep them interested, get them on a creek where the fish are more opportunistic feeders. Learn them a thing or two about stealth when stalking fish. Low approaches and all that. Get them out practicing their casting often. Stress that neither numbers nor size of fish is important. Learn the basics, practice them. Work towards numbers or size or whatever ends up driving them later. Get them started on the learning curve. If the infection takes, they'll find their own way of feeding.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby Barrie Mann » October 26th, 2008, 8:52 am

Castaway first I'm glad to see you post again.
Now to your friends question. I'll start by asking a question. Has he fly fished at all? If the answer is no then I suggest he either borrows a rod/reel and flies etc and goes out with you to try. Even with limited skill you should be able to show him how to throw a roll cast. He can fish a lot of water just using a roll cast.
If he has fly fished before and really wants to take up this addiction of ours, then I suggest that he peruses the catalogs of Cabelas or if there is a Bass Pro shop close by to go in and check out their fly fishing outfits. For $200 he can pick up a decent 5 weight rod with reel and line as a package deal. A guide is good to hire if you've never fished the area before and you don't feel comfortable reading water. Way too soon for your friend at this time. As for casting instruction. Find a local Fly Fishing Club that has an affilliation with the Federation of fly Fishers. The club will likely hold casting classes and they are generally offered without membership being required. The rest will come naturally as your friends addiction to fly fishing takes hold.
Hope this helps.
Barrie Mann

Postby 1mocast » October 26th, 2008, 11:37 am

Shouldn't this be in General Flyfishing section? There would probably more responses...

To answer your question. Is this person trying flyfishing out for the first time (total new to fishing)? Or are they proficient at spinfishing before, tried flyfishing already and would like to really get into it (New to FF)? It also depends on what species they are targeting...Different species, different rods.

I would get something with the no-fault full warranty such as TFO, Echo, and such. They can then get on "small" waters with someone who is experienced to show them the ropes. Dries on a Open, small spring creek would be ideal...

For casting, have them read and watch all the free casting videos on the internet. Then have them go to an open area of a park. Set up an camera with video mode on a tripod and video themselves. That is some of the best feedback available.

If they eventually want to keep at FF, then they can spring for the nicer setups, guides, ...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby RSetina » October 26th, 2008, 3:10 pm

The TFO was my thought too. Something not too expensive but nice. Almost any inexpensive reel will do as long as it has a good drag system. It just needs to hold line. If he really loves the sport he can latter get into the more expensive rods and reels if he feels so inclined, but to start off get nice basics and go fish. As far as the guide and casting lessons, Benny got it right I think. Good friends and online videos with practice, anyone can get the fly on the water. Getting out is the main thing. Hope your friend has a good time.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby JGray » October 26th, 2008, 3:39 pm

I've been reading all of the posts and all are good advice, just thought I'd through my 2 cents worth into the mix. I wouldn't go out and spend alot of money on a rod and reel set up until some time has been spent on the water determining what your casting style is. Either with a guide or someone else. What I mean is that there are a multitude of rod flexes to try. If you just run out and buy a ZXL which is a medium fast to fast action rod (by the way I would love a 4wt ZXL :D )you might not like the way power is transfered to the line or the fact that you need about 6 feet if line out the last guide to load it, and at my last check a ZXL was going for around $600.00. Do you prefer single action or double action reels? There are alot of things to determine your preferences for, so that you will be happy with your purchase after spending a large amount of money. Lets face it our addicitons aren't cheep. For someone just getting into the sport, especially here in Colorado I would recomend a 9 foot 4wt rod, medium to medium fast action which is easier to throw all the junk nymphing with, which is how most newbies start. The longer length also makes it easier to pick it all up. The 4 weight is small enough for delicate presentation but stought enough to handle good sized fish. I am not partial to any brand name. My favorite rod is a 9 foot 3wt Elkhorn wich is around $200.00. It is very fast action (Stiffer than ZXL) and fits me perfectly. I have a much more expensive Diamonback in the same size rod that I bought more for the name than the way it fishes and it hardly ever comes out of the case
JGray

Postby castaway » October 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Actually I am not asking for a specific reason (not introducing a newbie)

But just curious, I went cheap at first and it cost me...

I started with a 29.00 dollar rod from a major sporting good store - after the first 20 minutes I knew I was hooked - Then built myself a middle of the road St. Croix 3wt which is still my favorite rod. Then I Upgraded to a TFO for my 5wt, but the rod was way to slow for me - and felt clumsy.

Luckily, I came into a ZXL 5wt... And it really helped.

I guess going with the middle of the road gear (200-300) is a good start. However, if you don't know what rod you want, dont go blind and just order it for its reputation (my TFO mistake).

Also, I have found that high quality line should be the first thing to get.

Thanks guys
Bill

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby fflutterffly » October 26th, 2008, 5:59 pm

glad you're still here.

I believe that a person with a fix amount should
#1 If they do not want to purchase equipment ASAP. Take a guide out who give them instruction on the water and who has all the equipment for them to use.
Or
#2 Purchase a good service rod, like TFO signature 5wt for under $200.00, BUT spend the money on a excellent reel or at least a moderately nice reel. This package might around $300.00 (reel package with line might be more). Next, join a club that has weekly casting classes or monthly, participate, learning the basics. Than take a guide on the river, one who also will instruct while fishing.

#3. blow all your money on an expensive rod and wait till someone gives you holiday money. Purchase a really expensive reel, line, leaders, tippets, flies, waders, vest.... I could go on.
Than a year later hire a guide with more holiday money.

#4 Pimp yourself out to some rich person and let them pony up the cash.

I have the TFO I mentioned and my XP. I think they are both really wonderful rods and feel great on the river. For small water I have an Orivs Troutbum. (Unlike some people who are maybe pimping themselves :lol: and go to those isolated sierra creeks with a 00, well you know who I mean! (Love ya...never change) ;)
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby fly addict » October 26th, 2008, 6:19 pm

If you live within 50 miles or so of Long Beach. Then you should go to the Long Beach Casting Club on Sunday Mornings to get some tips on casting. Then go see Joe Libeu at Bob Marriotts in Fullerton. He’ll get you the best equipment for your price range. He also is a master FFF instructor and does an on the water clinic on the lower Owens River.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby midger » October 26th, 2008, 6:28 pm

In regards to Dan Craft blanks, they are very nice and have a lot of backbone. I have 2 four weights based on his Five Rivers FT 490 blanks--4 piece 4 weights--9' long. These are very fast action rods and I like them, but they are much stiffer than say, a sage ZXL would be. They are great for pounding out line to 60-70 feet and they do well with the weighted flies I throw. I haven't cast the Sig III, but it is made with a lower modulus graphite, so I assume it is not as fast as the FT blanks. I also haven't used his "0" blank.

As for the rod to select, that's pretty much up to the individual's casting style and they won't know that until they cast a lot of different rods under the conditions they will normally fish in. I'd lean towards hooking them up with a moderate action rod. If you are looking for one to build, I'd consider the Forecast blanks or the PacBay blanks. You can build the whol;e rod for under $100 and they fish quite well. One of my favorites is a 7'9" Forecast 3 weight which sees lots of local use and I just completed another 7'9" PacBay 3 weight which I plan to cast/compare to the forecast rod. I built one for a friend--a 7'9" TFO Finesse which was a great dry fly rod but it has a slower action which I wouldn't prefer for nymphing but that works well for dry fly fishing.

If you are looking for a reel for use primarily for trout, there is no need to break the bank. There are a number of click pawls that meet the needs for under $50 and even some nice disk drags for under $100. The Orvis Battenkills are one that work well and can be had for under $100. You can also find older Pfluegers online for about $35-40 and they are bullet proof. Probably more trout caught with those than many of the $200+ reels (Don't get me wrong, I like the more expensive reels, but they aren't really necessary--I just LIKE them, but they don't help me catch anymore fish.) Some of the Albright reels are also nice--I haven't fished any yet, but did buy 4 at their giveaway prices. Their click pawls run around $15 each. Disk drags about $45-100.

Good luck in your search.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » October 27th, 2008, 11:43 am

I've cast 2 Dan Craft Sig III rods. One a 5wt and the other a 3wt? Both were nice casting rods, but nothing special. About a year later, I cast his new FT Lights. These are 5-6 piece rods, and I thought a step up from the Sig IIIs. Both are progessive/moderate action rods. IMO, both would be good for small creeks and smaller fish. Both are a bit soft for my liking, on 5wt and up rods. As Midger said, the FTs are much more powerful. I just fished my FT 8wt, with a 9 1/2wt floating line(Rio Grand). The rod handled it with ease, and I could probably use a 10wt line without so much as a whimper from the rod. I also have a 4wt FT, and it's a bit too stiff for me with a 4wt line.

I hear good things about Batson's RX line of blanks.

briansII
briansII

Postby castaway » November 4th, 2008, 4:08 pm

This Dan Craft 0wt blank is the only other 0wt that I have found other then Sage.

I am surprised more manufactures have not jumped on the ultra-light band wagon.

Unless the price to make such a rod would mean that sales prices would have to be high - and thus be competing with Sage (not a good business plan).

We need a brave sole to invest in this blank and try it out.

castaway

Postby midger » November 4th, 2008, 5:09 pm

castaway wrote: I am surprised more manufactures have not jumped on the ultra-light band wagon.

Unless the price to make such a rod would mean that sales prices would have to be high - and thus be competing with Sage (not a good business plan).

We need a brave sole to invest in this blank and try it out.

Why are you surprised? The 000, 00, and 0 weights may be great rods, but the markets for these ultralights is probably extremely limited, so sales would be minimal when compared to, say 4, 5, and 6 weight rods which would be used by many more anglers worldwide. There used to also be many shorter rods available, but it is getting more rare to find the 6 foot and under rods. Again, it's the marketability of the sticks.

Go for the Dan Craft 0. You can be the designated tester. :lol:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to General Fly Fishing