REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Interesting read

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Interesting read

Postby beachbum » June 3rd, 2011, 6:37 pm

I have personally witnessed it at 3 fly shops.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby hip » June 3rd, 2011, 8:40 pm

For us in LA where trends are born following the stars this is already old news. :D
On my way home today from Newport I passed a salon that has already marked the price down on feather extensions.
It was 35.00 per feather slashed down to 18.00 so here in La la land the trend is on it's way out.

But, but, but, that doesn't mean your hackle troubles are over if you like to tie with the popular hackles the salons are selling.

LA and NYC are way ahead of the curve while it may take months for the other inner states to fade out the trend.

I've actually seen it on woman where it looked really good and it put a smile on my face to see feathers being adorn in such a stylish manner.

It's funny to me to read on fly fishing sites where the guys are knocking the woman for such frivolous use of their precious material.

I say get over yourselves, on the grand scale things having a feather to fool a fish and release it is no more important then a current hair style trend. :rockon: jon
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
Ernest Hemingway

hip

Postby 1mocast » June 3rd, 2011, 11:19 pm

When this "Fad" dies, I hope there will be such a glut of nice saddles to finally afford to pick up that elusive Whiting "Midge" saddle for $20... I won't hold my breath.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby hip » June 4th, 2011, 1:48 pm

1mocast wrote:When this "Fad" dies, I hope there will be such a glut of nice saddles to finally afford to pick up that elusive Whiting "Midge" saddle for $20... I won't hold my breath.

There's one about to sell for 350.00 on e-bay. :o
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
Ernest Hemingway

hip

Postby rkfiske » June 4th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Saw a girl the other day with them in her hair as she was sitting near me. I agree with mark, I hope this somehow maybe helps us in some way once the fad dies!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Benny » June 5th, 2011, 9:29 am

I have a quarter saddle of Whiting Bronze Grizzly, picked up for twenty bucks quite a while back. I think I'm going to put it up on ebay and see how much I can get for it ;)
Benny

Postby anacrime » June 5th, 2011, 11:23 am

One of my girlfriend's friends runs some sort of clothing shop in the OC. She didn't understand why it was always creepy old white dude bringing in the feathers haha
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby SaltyFresh » June 5th, 2011, 2:47 pm

On another note, I recently learned that one should not use light tackle fly fishing for trout because it'll take longer to bring the fish in, thus causing more harm to to it...

I mentioned this to a friend, he laughed and replied, "Why hook them in the first place?
Maybe people shouldn't use hooks."
SaltyFresh

Return to General Fly Fishing