REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Poor fish

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Poor fish

Postby FlyinFish » August 25th, 2011, 10:06 am

Very nice my friend. Looks like it all came together beautifully. I love when that happens.

As for the shock absorption, you hit the nail on the head. Unlike gear fishing setups, fly setups only have a short section of tippet, and my tippet is sized by the shock it will be taking, not just the static pull.

A soft rod is very nice to help in those parts of the fight, especially since our trouts make more darting, headshaking movements and not big long runs. Exact same reason why softer glass rods are preferred for fishing white seabass and halibut in SoCal. Lots of headshakes. You don't want the line to snap from shock, AND you also don't want to yank the hook out.

Let me know when you're ready to build me one. I would love to put a big, bright, gaudy crosswrap on a bamboo rod and drive people crazy on the water.
FlyinFish

Postby 1mocast » August 25th, 2011, 10:22 am

Yep...Like what Pete said.
Fiberglass can have a lower Modulus of Elasticity than Bamboo, i.e. It can be more Noodley than bamboo.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Pete » August 25th, 2011, 10:23 am

FlyinFish wrote:Let me know when you're ready to build me one. I would love to put a big, bright, gaudy crosswrap on a bamboo rod and drive people crazy on the water.

Somebody get a rope, looks like we got us a lynchin to attend to!!! :doh:........;)
Pete

Postby FlyinFish » August 25th, 2011, 11:29 am

Pete wrote:
FlyinFish wrote:Let me know when you're ready to build me one. I would love to put a big, bright, gaudy crosswrap on a bamboo rod and drive people crazy on the water.

Somebody get a rope, looks like we got us a lynchin to attend to!!! :doh:........;)

What's that you say? Fluorescent colors? Ok, if you insist! :D
FlyinFish

Postby RSetina » August 25th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Art in, that is so cool. Congrats on the new rod. You'll get use out of it I'm sure. Looks like you had a great trip.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Pete » August 25th, 2011, 3:46 pm

FlyinFish wrote:
Pete wrote:

What's that you say? Fluorescent colors? Ok, if you insist! :D

:gun: :gun: :booty: :booty: :D :D
Pete

Postby theophilus » August 25th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Artin wrote:I like it. All in all it came out better than I thought, look wise and performance wise. I'm happy with it. There is a lot of room for improvement though

That's exactly what I say with every rod I build! Crafting your own bamboo rod can be so deeply satisfying, and at the same time, so frustrating! Keep at it, and judging by your first attempt, there are some special rods in your future. And if any of you have witnessed Artin when he zones in on a detail, his focused intensity makes you think that there will simply be no obstacle that hinders. Good job!
Glad that circumstances allowed you some stream time too. Susie sends her best to you and your family,

Doug
"Everything flows" - Heraclitus
theophilus

Postby Artin » August 26th, 2011, 3:01 pm

Arv. I will gladly build one for ya! Only one thing, there are a few people ahead of you, My son, my wife, and my dad (spin). In between I will try to make one for my self as well. So judging by the time it took for me to get this one done, I should have a rod for you for your retirement party :mrgreen:

Pete thanks for the pm. Kinda hard to picture it. Although, I quickly just skimmed over the instructions. I will have to give it a more in depth read. I'm sure I will have questions for you.

Doug,
Thanks for the kind words! I am in the process of the 2nd one here and there. The steps are going faster on this one though. I must say. Very pleased. I finished straightening the strips. It was pretty quick and they are much straighter than the first one. And you're right! It's very satisfying. Especially when you get to fish your own rod! I love it.

flyfishnevada wrote:That's awesome. I've built a graphite rod (which recently snapped in half :( ), but bamboo is a whole other thing. Not to mention they are pretty as heck! Good job and nice fish!

That sucks! BIG time! I would be very po if that happened. But, I know it's inevitable.

Thanks Rick. Wow it was super fun I must say!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing