REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Exiled in El Centro

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Exiled in El Centro

Postby jazz on the fly » September 13th, 2011, 9:05 pm

So ... It's been quite awhile since I've posted here on FFA. I spent pretty much all summer looking for a teaching job and there is good news and bad news on that front. The good news is that I got a job teaching middle school and elementary school band and orchestra. The bad news is that it's in El Centro. This place is about as far from any good fishing that I'm aware of and that's where you addicts come in. Obviously there is plenty of salt action in San Diego (and some small stream trouting if anyone is willing to help lead me in the right direction) and I would love to hook up with members of this board's San Diego contingent and learn the lay of the land. Hope everyone in addict land is doing well.

My new home
jazz on the fly

Re: Exiled in El Centro

Postby 1mocast » September 13th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Andre,
Congrats and my Condolences at the same time....I used to live in Brawley a Looooooong time ago... I feel for ya man...

mark
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby tomsakai » September 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm

I grew up in Indio and used to think that was the pits. But, El Centro? But at least it's a job and if you can hookup with some of the San Diego contingent trout fishing isn't that far away.
tomsakai

Postby Dry Fly Rie » September 13th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Congrats on getting the job. I'm a fairly new teacher, and I know how tough it can be to get your foot in the door at a good school or district. Stick with it, and hopefully good things will come your way. As far as fishing goes, I've never been to the Salton Sea, but the reports for this past spring and early summer were really good for the tilapia. I've never caught one, but everyone was saying it was 50-100 fish days. Something to think about, as it's not too far away from you.
Good Luck!
Dry Fly Rie

Postby stanbery » September 13th, 2011, 9:40 pm

(Currently Banished to El Centro)

That is funny.

Congrats on the job.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby lucfish » September 13th, 2011, 9:45 pm

Well ..... Glad you were able to find some work. As far as fishing is concerned I'm not familiar with the area but there's got to be some freshwater bass and bluegill action in some of canals and lakes.
lucfish

Postby Eric1 » September 13th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Congrats on getting a full time gig. Just keep thinking about your long summer vacation.
Eric
Eric1

Postby beachbum » September 13th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Congratulations on the finding a teaching job! As for being stuck in El Centro...that's why we have cars. Fishing is just a road trip away. :)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby KRoberts1 » September 14th, 2011, 7:58 am

My wife and I actually enjoyed living in El Centro during the middle 80's. Liked the small town feel. Great Mexican food. Even better Chinese food across the border...the Lucerne Hotel. There's about a 150 Chinese restaurants in Mexicali.

Fishing? All the canals have bass and catfish. Sunbeam lake, to the west of town, has bass, bluegill and catfish. A tube or small pram is handy. See if you can get onto Barbara Worth Country Club after dark, There used to be BIG (like 8-9 lb) bass in the golf course ponds, there. DO a Google search and find the small farm ponds for some decent bass action. The Colorado River/Senator Wash reservoir over at Yuma were pretty good fisheries. If you have a boat, go up river to Martinez Lake. The top-water the bass and big redears are a hoot. In the 80's, the corvina in the Salton Sea were awesome, up to 20+ lbs, as well as the croaker and sauger. Not sure what the status is there, now. To the west on I8, Lake Morena (Florida LMB) & Cuyamuca (winter trout) both offer a chance to get out of the Valley.

If you hunt, you're near paradise for upland game birds... quail, dove, pheasants and ducks. I missed the cold water and the trout, but there's still a lot available, there, if you search it out and ask a few locals.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby fly addict » September 14th, 2011, 8:15 am

Andre,

I would suggest you get a few saltwater rods and check out the northern part of the Sea of Cortez. I used to fish a place called Gonzaga Bay. It is south of San Felipe on the coast road about 60 miles. Get some fresh shrimp in town as you pass through. You can camp right on the beach and catch bass, grouper, sierra mackerel, corbina and other fish just off shore. Get a kayak and have fun. The beer is cheap and the place is beautiful! You won’t miss catching trout! :D

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby nick562 » September 14th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Oh poor guy!! perhaps this will refresh and revive your memory there is a "oasis" of opportunity in the desert seek & you shall find! Remember?
Take care
Nick
:)
nick562

Postby jazz on the fly » September 15th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Dry Fly Rie wrote:Congrats on getting the job. I'm a fairly new teacher, and I know how tough it can be to get your foot in the door at a good school or district. Stick with it, and hopefully good things will come your way. As far as fishing goes, I've never been to the Salton Sea, but the reports for this past spring and early summer were really good for the tilapia. I've never caught one, but everyone was saying it was 50-100 fish days. Something to think about, as it's not too far away from you.
Good Luck!

Thanks Rie. What/Where do you teach? I've heard about Tilapia in the Salton Sea, but I've also heard that there are constant fish kills and that it smells like dead fish @**. I guess I'll have to check it out for myself.

KRoberts1 wrote:My wife and I actually enjoyed living in El Centro during the middle 80's. Liked the small town feel. Great Mexican food. Even better Chinese food across the border...the Lucerne Hotel. There's about a 150 Chinese restaurants in Mexicali.

Fishing? All the canals have bass and catfish. Sunbeam lake, to the west of town, has bass, bluegill and catfish. A tube or small pram is handy. See if you can get onto Barbara Worth Country Club after dark, There used to be BIG (like 8-9 lb) bass in the golf course ponds, there. DO a Google search and find the small farm ponds for some decent bass action. The Colorado River/Senator Wash reservoir over at Yuma were pretty good fisheries. If you have a boat, go up river to Martinez Lake. The top-water the bass and big redears are a hoot. In the 80's, the corvina in the Salton Sea were awesome, up to 20+ lbs, as well as the croaker and sauger. Not sure what the status is there, now. To the west on I8, Lake Morena (Florida LMB) & Cuyamuca (winter trout) both offer a chance to get out of the Valley.

If you hunt, you're near paradise for upland game birds... quail, dove, pheasants and ducks. I missed the cold water and the trout, but there's still a lot available, there, if you search it out and ask a few locals.

keith

Keith, I was kinda wondering about Sunbeam Lake, now that the heat has started to subside I think I will be exploring that and the Yuma/Colorado River area.

fly addict wrote:Andre,

I would suggest you get a few saltwater rods and check out the northern part of the Sea of Cortez. I used to fish a place called Gonzaga Bay. It is south of San Felipe on the coast road about 60 miles. Get some fresh shrimp in town as you pass through. You can camp right on the beach and catch bass, grouper, sierra mackerel, corbina and other fish just off shore. Get a kayak and have fun. The beer is cheap and the place is beautiful! You won’t miss catching trout! :D

Mark

Mark, I have thought about Baja, however, I have heard that the San Felipe area has turned into bad news. If it is safe I will certainly be heading down there.

nick562 wrote:Oh poor guy!! perhaps this will refresh and revive your memory there is a "oasis" of opportunity in the desert seek & you shall find! Remember?

Nick, I have definitely not forgotten the "oasis", however, it is still a couple hours away. Let me know when you're ready to head out there.

Everyone else, thanks for all the congrats! It's great to be able to finally pay my bills and get by in the world.
jazz on the fly

Postby KRoberts1 » September 15th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Andre,

Another lake, I forgot about, is Wiest, up near Brawley. Again, a float tube or pram would be advantageous.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby super dry fly » September 16th, 2011, 11:46 am

I think the days of catching corvina in the Salton Sea are over. I remember spending the night on the lake shore when I was in grad school during some marine geo studies (~10 years ago). We got in late at night, and thought we were laying our sleeping bags out on a sandy beach...we woke up in the morning to the realiztaion that the "sand" was actually millions of little fish bones :o . The tilapia are still in the Sea, but you are correct, due to oxygen and algal realted problems fish kills happen with frequency.
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby Milt Spawn » September 16th, 2011, 3:44 pm

The corvina in the Salton Sea are probably extirpated at this point. The DFG hasn't even caught them in their net surveys. The croaker and sargo are likely gone too. There are probably well over 100 million tilapia in the sea and there haven't been any significant die offs this year. The canals used to be more fun when they were dirt banks, I think they are all concrete lined now. They do hold fish; cats, carps, smallmouth, largemouth, just about anything in the Colorado can get into them. The Alamo has big cats. milt.
Milt Spawn

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing