REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Nipper/Clipper question

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Nipper/Clipper question

Postby ashtree1 » September 17th, 2011, 9:00 am

I have had the nail knot/clipper tool for quite some time, the nippers are getting dull and was wondering if its possible to sharpen them? If the ladder is there any nippers that you recommend. Thanks
ashtree1

Re: Nipper/Clipper question

Postby rkfiske » September 17th, 2011, 9:35 am

if the front of them is flat, you could take some very fine sand paper on a flat hard surface and grind the front of the two blade ends perpendicular to the sandpaper. If you have a sharpening stone of some kind you could try that as well.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby Artin » September 17th, 2011, 12:17 pm

rkfiske wrote:if the front of them is flat, you could take some very fine sand paper on a flat hard surface and grind the front of the two blade ends perpendicular to the sandpaper. If you have a sharpening stone of some kind you could try that as well.

That's what I was thinking.
I would go 400grit to 600

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby Papasequoia » September 17th, 2011, 12:48 pm

I bought a tool like that, and in the instructions it said one could sharpen them using a regular sharpening stone (they are flat on the front). However, they never got nearly sharp enough. Now I just keep them in my bag as a back-up and in case I need the nail knot tool and I bought some new ones. I remember reading Midcurrent's review of one of the big expos last year and they were lamenting the fact that nippers just get dull and no one has really come out with a high end materials one that will hold and edge. Someone else may have found some nice ones, but now I just replace mine every year or two with whatever is hanging on a shop wall.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby 1mocast » September 17th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I have seen others use small nail clippers. I thought what a great idea. I probably won't ever buy nippers again especially for the salt.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Wildman » September 17th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Nail clippers are extraordinarily cheap and work very well. I have bought a couple fancy ones but they got dull quick. Using a combination forceps/cutters worked great till I lost them....twice.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby flybob » September 17th, 2011, 2:43 pm

The last time Hook and Hackle had them on sale for 1.99, I bought 10 pair! (friking Hoarder)
Started to use them on the tying bench as well.
When they get nicked and dull, I just toss them!
I still have 6 pair left!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby ashtree1 » September 17th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Thanks guys, yeah going to try the file, but yeah probably will buy up Many small nail clippers.
Getting ready for a good season. Have a cool one
ashtree1

Postby JGFLYFISH » September 17th, 2011, 7:03 pm

ashtree1 wrote:Thanks guys, yeah going to try the file, but yeah probably will buy up Many small nail clippers.
Getting ready for a good season. Have a cool one

How about ceramic blade nippers? Perhaps someone from the board has some experience with them.
JGFLYFISH

Postby rayfound » September 17th, 2011, 9:07 pm

I cannot get out of the habit of using my teeth.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby 1mocast » September 17th, 2011, 9:51 pm

JGFLYFISH wrote:How about ceramic blade nippers? Perhaps someone from the board has some experience with them.
I was trying to find some for the salt but haven't had any success. Orvis used to make them.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Pete » September 18th, 2011, 8:44 am

rayfound wrote:I cannot get out of the habit of using my teeth.

Wait until your denist chews you butt for creating small grooves in yout theeth :lol: . Been there, done that. Of course that wasn't tippet material, but years of chomping thru mono prior to converting to the quiet sport.

Pete
Pete

Postby Charlie Webb » September 18th, 2011, 4:10 pm

I've used lots of nippers and haven't found one that stays sharp for very long. Even the expensive ones (Abel and Orvis) eventually get dull, and I'm not one for sharpening them as I expect them to stay sharp for the money I paid. I think the idea of purchasing a bunch of nail clippers on the cheap is a great idea. Use them, abuse them, and toss them when they get dull.
Charlie Webb

Return to General Fly Fishing