REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Keeping Secrets

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Keeping Secrets

Postby 1mocast » October 24th, 2011, 11:24 pm

BobK wrote:I understand not talking about an area such as those you have down there or many, many other waters including quite a few around here that need protection. I'm just saying that you have areas around here that are for the tourists, the bait guys and families to catch and keep fish and have fun. Waters that are planted with obscene amounts of fish (Mammoth basin lakes) Why only talk in codes about these waters? It happens all of the time on here. There was a 30"+ fish caught and reported on this forum earlier this summer and I was quick to email him asking him to keep the location secret. He was going to all along so I didn't need to ask him. I didn't know this so I chimed in. I hope he didn't think that I was interfering. So after rambling on a bit, I think that there are areas that need to be protected while funneling the masses to other areas. Bob
Bob,
I do agree with you mostly. The masses already know when and where the DFG plant fish. I have seen people literally "Follow the truck". I personally don't talk about locations since I don't usually fish where there are planters. And if I did want to catch planters, I would just go to the CA DFG site and look for the Fish planting schedule (This is a hint to the masses...)

All the locations are named there with when the fish were planted...

mark
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby tenandtwo » October 24th, 2011, 11:56 pm

There are so many other boards that blab and hotspot names, directions, everything. At least here, when I put up a report on a SoCal trout stream, you have to be registered and logged in to view it. I always have a great time out there and love reading everyone's reports but am not really comfortable putting up photos on sites that get hundreds and hundreds of views and like 3 or 4 "nice job" replies. If the name is made up and there is not too much in the background, how much harm is done? If someone recognizes it it is most likely because they have already been there. Trout south of the Sierras - that's no real big secret. I don't post all my trips but try to contribute my share. Info is too easy to come by today, I just liked this board because it is so hush-hush, google the (real) name of your favorite fishing spot see how many FFA reports come up - keep it that way.
tenandtwo

Postby WanderingBlues » October 25th, 2011, 5:43 am

Weird Cult Creek, Breakthrough Creek, Chopper Creek, Mid-Week Creek, Show me Creek, Lazurus Creek, Revenge Creek, Basura Creek, Knot Your Creek, Harry Potter Creek, Wheresacopwhenyouneedone Creek, Long Hike Creek, Putrid Creek, Trouble Creek, Sasquatch Creek, Not What it Seemed Creek, 19 Year Itch Creek, Fallen Tree Creek, Discipline Creek, Firewood Creek......

Both sides have a good point. On the one hand, there are some great locals that do not receive any type of planting or maintenance that need a shroud of secrecy. By virtue of who the poster is, and what the fish look like, many members can surmise where the angler was. We all have stories of seeing horrific acts on skinny waters that could put some real hurt on trout populations (some of you have seen me in action rolling up on people with a loud * do you think you're doing?).

Bishop's a bit different in that it heavily market's itself as a fishing destination and receives substantial planting. Heck, there's so much info out there, both on the internet and in print, that you can literally find directions to "stand on the rock south of the big cottonwood for the best hole..." But, there are also some interesting waters up there that don't show up on any radar that offer a fly angler a few hours of peace and respite. It's those that, as Bob pointed out, need protection.

As to me, I don't fish to feel like a man. I fish to feel like a kid and being juvenile (just not to the point of stupidity....) is part of the fun, especially if I think I may have some dipsh-t googling some crazy name for a water and coming up with nothing. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Wildman » October 25th, 2011, 7:45 am

Hey....I saw one of my creeks in that list! I have only directly named one river that I have fished on in a trip report and that one only once. I have a great time trying to come up with a name that shares something or the spirit of the location where we were at. I started out fly fishing later in life and I made my first trip report after fishing with Midger. He gently shared that it would be cool if I could come up with an interesting name for where we were fishing and I've stayed with that program ever since. One of the things that keeps me on that path is seeing a post on another forum with 4,000 views about a tiny creek in the locals that you can normally step across.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby fly addict » October 25th, 2011, 7:52 am

WanderingBlues wrote:[i]

As to me, I don't fish to feel like a man. I fish to feel like a kid and being juvenile (just not to the point of stupidity....) is part of the fun, especially if I think I may have some dipsh-t googling some crazy name for a water and coming up with nothing. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That just about sums it up. ;)

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby silverlaker » October 25th, 2011, 12:19 pm

I don't really see the benefit of naming names. However, dropping names can certainly be detrimental. Then again, I only post pics of small fish. :o That oughta keep the riff-raff away, eh? Just tryin' to do my part...
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby rkfiske » October 25th, 2011, 1:27 pm

silverlaker wrote:... dropping names can certainly be detrimental.

That is exactly why I don't name places. There is only really a negative to be had. When someone who knows me wants to know where I went, I mostly oblige considering that anywhere I fish is known by those I fish with. When I was new to the sport, I spent time getting to know and cultivate relationships with other guys. The benefit to this is you also find fishing buddies this way!

If a water is well known, odds are it can be identified from photos anyways. If it's not well known, you can thank people keeping their mouths shut. ;)
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby ashtree1 » October 25th, 2011, 2:16 pm

I agree with most if not all of what you guys post on this thread, one thing I know for a fact is that by educating and putting the articles up for people to read only helps. I wasn't in the know about how sensitive areas can be impacted as well as the stocked areas by posting up until a few guys as well as friends on the board pointed that out and even after that with codes I was still giving away too much info, for example posted up about a manmade xx bridge and bumpy xx road and googled it myself and was surprised for that reference was directions for that exact location in a highly sensitive area, I modified my post but now I am pretty cautious to what I post after that sunk ship.
ashtree1

Postby Lee-B » October 25th, 2011, 2:39 pm

About 12 years ago I was sitting in a local tackle shop and two meat keepers were talking about reading a fly fishing site to see
"where they were biting". This really brought it home for me so I now give a very generic report but well get specific if asked via email and it is someone who has established them selves a trustworthy. Sorry if that seems harsh but I don't want to tell the guy who keeps 20 surf perch or the guy who keeps an am limit of trout and a pm limit on the same day.
Lee-B

Postby Flyjunkie » October 25th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Lee-B wrote:About 12 years ago I was sitting in a local tackle shop and two meat keepers were talking about reading a fly fishing site to see
"where they were biting". This really brought it home for me so I now give a very generic report but well get specific if asked via email and it is someone who has established them selves a trustworthy. Sorry if that seems harsh but I don't want to tell the guy who keeps 20 surf perch or the guy who keeps an am limit of trout and a pm limit on the same day.

BINGO!!!!

a perfect reason why i rarely post about my Fishing sessions these days. I had a Great time fishing and enjoyed fishing with my friends.. don't have to post about it every * time.... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby tomsakai » October 25th, 2011, 6:50 pm

It's frustrating sometimes trying to guess the locations but I agree, loose lips re. locations are bad for all of us C&R people. I guess if I'm really interested in knowing I can always call or pm. There is one person on another site who I helped via pm with road conditions (he already knew the location). When he outed that location with pics and the name I refused to help him anymore.
tomsakai

Postby Flyjunkie » October 26th, 2011, 7:56 am

tomsakai wrote:It's frustrating sometimes trying to guess the locations but I agree, loose lips re. locations are bad for all of us C&R people. I guess if I'm really interested in knowing I can always call or pm. There is one person on another site who I helped via pm with road conditions (he already knew the location). When he outed that location with pics and the name I refused to help him anymore.

I'm right there with you Tom, I helped a Guy get 3 of the needed native Trout for his Heritage Trout Challenge some yeasr back. Took him to 3 locations and sure enough he got the 3 species... I told Him he could not tell Anyone about "Location #1".. because it is fragile... Well within 8 months or less He had Outed the location to at least 6 other Flyfishers.. so they all could complete their Heritage Challenge... Freekin Baztard!!!!! So sometime later he asked me about other locations I knew about and I called him out on telling * near everyone else about "Location #1".. and Never told him about other "secret World Government Locations"... shortly afterwards i blew him off completely...

Which is why nowadays i am very tight lipped about many locations I fish.. rarely taking folks there.. thought a few Lucky ones do get to go with me... ;)
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby NorcalBob » October 26th, 2011, 9:37 am

Funny, I have helped at least 10 people get the HTC, giving very specific directions, and not a single one "outed" a single location. :grouphug:
NorcalBob

Postby Flyjunkie » October 26th, 2011, 7:27 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Funny, I have helped at least 10 people get the HTC, giving very specific directions, and not a single one "outed" a single location. :grouphug:

Yeah, he was the Only One who i have assisted and he outed the special water.. but then again he was trying desperately to convince folks that he knew * near everything about the Native Trout in California.. He's basically fallen off the Planet as far as i know and no one is complaining.. :rockon: :rockon:
Flyjunkie

Postby borntoflyfish » October 26th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Sure I'll talk of the Provo, But how many people know about it. :funnyup: I found a real nice creek this summer that was full of fish and had some real nice 20" browns. But I have second thoughts about saying anything about it. I was fishing the Provo one saturday and walked up to this kid fishing lures. We get to talking about the fish and he was telling me how he keeps every thing he catches. He even said he'll eat the eggs. :o I wasn't about to tell him the hole just down the river I just caught and released a 17" rainbow. I've just learned over the years not to say to much. :D
borntoflyfish

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing