REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Exploring New Waters

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Exploring New Waters

Postby stanbery » October 28th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Arvin

Sorry to see you will be leaving CA.
Good luck on the job in WA and make sure you have room for guest to stay when they come up to visit.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Papasequoia » October 28th, 2011, 9:03 pm

What?! You told me that you'd be back to finish off that bottle of cognac you left at the condo last year, buddy, and I'm going to hold you to that! Volcano III or else :twisted: In the meantime, make sure that the living room in your new digs is big enough to hold a couple of sofa sleepers. :D Good luck to you! Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby tenandtwo » October 28th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Three summers ago we did a family trip from Portland to Vancouver, The Seattle area is awesome, in all regards. I came back and did a serious 'why do I live here' reality check. I wish I could uproot and move up there. Good luck- enjoy, and keep posting!
tenandtwo

Postby briansII » October 29th, 2011, 8:15 am

Wish you luck in this new chapter of your life. As others have said, there are a lot worse places than the emerald waters of the PNW. You've got the best excuse to explore the spey side of fly fishing. :)

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » October 29th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Best of luck to you. The Northwest is a nice place also, and I'm sure you'll do well here.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby ldr » October 29th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Best wishes, Arvin.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby FlyinFish » October 29th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone! Definitely some great exploring to be done and new things to be learned (money to be spent on gear). I'll keep posting and keep reading the reports of fun down here.

Bill, always a pleasure and we will squeeze in many more surf sessions before I leave.

Craig, I'll scope out the finest flyfisher folk up in the PNW and get them to join the board. Send me the list anytime! I'll hit you up for ideas as I get my own list going. We'll be living in Seattle proper, probably Ballard/Phinney. But I'll be working in Everett, and in the summer, when it's light out until 9pm, I already have a few creeks to hit on the way home. Forgot to tell David yesterday when I was at the shop... is his sister still up there? I remember her doing pretty well on the Yak.

Ryan, life always gets in the way of fishing. Maybe we'll get a chance to make another run up to HC in the snow before the year is out? You guys should definitely visit. Seattle is a terrific city for a quick long weekend trip. And I can point you to all the good food and coffee. Just watch Alaska or Virgin for cheap fares.

Mark, I will very much miss the fish chat breaks at work. Oh well, we'll just have to forget about that old fashioned form of communicating face to face at turn to email. It's better than a telegram I guess! And don't worry, I've already got plans to have you pick me up at the Ontario Airport on the way up to the mountains =D. And I'll sure be trying hard to work out making it to the CWoods.

Tom, I will send you the badge holder lanyard that they will be giving me at orientation. How 'bout that? ;)

PapaS, Alaska doesn't fly from Seattle to Mammoth (oh ya, I checked), but I'll find a way to make it to the next one!

Thanks again for all the well wishes, folks. We'll have plenty of floorspace for any visiting addicts.

The Owens will be replaced by the Yakima, finicky HC trout will be replaced by elusive steelhead, the local trouts will still be local trout, just in a slightly prettier setting and not year round, and the leopard sharks will be replaced by searun cutts... and much, much more.
FlyinFish

Postby Justin » October 30th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Dang man, who's gonna laugh at us perched up on a rock screeming like girls when we see a snake in the creek? Who's gonna teach me how to make kabobs? Who's gonna be on a killer little hole, telling me "there are pretty girls over there". Man life is just not gonna be the same with out you buddy, but hey I get it you have to do what you have to do! Man may you be blessed with all the good things that life has to offer!! I wish you and the misses the best and look forward to many killer reports for your neck of the woods!!!

Justin
Justin

Postby jazz on the fly » October 30th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Good luck!!
jazz on the fly

Postby FlyinFish » October 30th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Hahaha! Justin, I will never forget that. I spend like 3 hours banging' out golden after golden, then you guys roll up like, * have you been, look in the water and, "oh my gawd!" Just plain good times. Don't worry, I'll get you a kabob set, free of charge, shipping and handling only - $50. Sound good?

Thanks so much for the well wishes.
FlyinFish

Postby flybob » November 2nd, 2011, 8:27 am

Hey buddy,
I still remember when I found out that you would be working for the same company, and then, in the same building, and our first lunch to discuss, what else, fishing! Can't believe that was three years ago!

When I finally get a chance to fish JagerMeister Creek, I will throw the closet thing to a Big Hairy Armenian in your honor!

I will miss you, and your kabobs too.

What else can I say but "wishing you fair winds and following seas" on your next adventure in life, this time with your life partner!

Be good, be safe, and stay in touch!
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby flyster » November 4th, 2011, 6:56 pm

One must do what he has to do. Even if it means leaving ALL YOUR BEST BUDDIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will truly miss you that's for sure. Maybe you can squeeze out one more LBC session before you leave us all behind?
" Boy it's going to be really hard not to do this again tomorrow!!"
flyster

Postby csimcox » November 10th, 2011, 12:55 am

Good luck up there, I'm jealous. I'd love to find steady, quality work up in the PNW. Lately I've been looking at the reports from Emerald Water Anglers. The photos of the landscape are gorgeous and the fish are * impressive. Looks like there's a ton of water to explore up there, both salt and fresh. I'm sure you'll be loving it.
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby RSetina » November 10th, 2011, 5:21 am

How exciting Arvin! New adventures await you up there along with new friends and water. I'm sure it will be an adjustment for a time but with time it will become home. You're just a keyboard away my friend and photos say a thousand words so make them say I wish you were here and at the same time make us wish we were there too. Sherry and I wish you and your wife all the best Arvin. Stay in touch.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby fly addict » November 10th, 2011, 7:45 am

Wow Arvin, was it my underwear that chased you off, or all my stupid Armenian jokes? First you got married and now you’re leaving us for better waters. Really I don’t blame you, Take advantage of the opportunity while you can. I have enjoyed the times we been on a few trips together and I hope we can do some more in the future in your new location. Vaya con Dios my friend.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing