REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

November Photo Contest Winner Just added

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: November Photo Contest

Postby Jimbo Roberts » November 9th, 2011, 9:58 am

Looks like a Steelhead!

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby WanderingBlues » November 9th, 2011, 10:19 am

Sasha needs to post the full pic. It's easily a 36" steelie.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » November 9th, 2011, 11:24 am

briansII wrote: her trunk. :P

briansII

Hen.

briansII
briansII

Postby 1mocast » November 10th, 2011, 8:22 pm

I gotta get some time on the water soon before I blow a head gasket! Some nice shots!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Bernard » November 10th, 2011, 9:30 pm

The story: Every year someone from "not-to-be-named" hotel cancels last minute in fall. It's like a curse. This happens for various reasons but this year will be the second time that weather was the cause. Last year, the client got fearful of rain and called in late the previous night. I din't get the message and was on location the next morning. This year, the client had a car accident (no injuries luckily). Both situations left me to twiddle my thumbs in one of the most beautiful places on earth. While in limbo and waiting for a call, I took this photo just a few days ago:
May it serve as my entry. It has not been modified in any way. There's more to the story. With each cancellation, I wound up fishing on my own and each time the fishing was fantastic. Imagine that? But wait it gets better. Each "cancellation session" seemed to generate a fish that looked like the fish-of-the-day from the prior year. I'll let the photos explain. This fish was from 2010's cancellation http://bit.ly/teM69a. This fish was from this year's (November) cancellation http://bit.ly/sf1IE7. They both have that bizarre magenta hue right or am I color blind? Note that they were caught rather far from each other too. Anyway, as of late the gloom, snow or drizzles have generated epic days. The 2010 fish caught deep on a stonefly nymph and the one from this year on a #16 orange stimi although very few caddis were to be seen. Later in the day, the BWOs were going ballistic and using anything tiny was a safe bet.
B.
Bernard

Postby khuzhong » November 10th, 2011, 9:47 pm

What a view Bernard, and those bows are sooo sexy.
khuzhong

Postby Papasequoia » November 10th, 2011, 10:37 pm

With each passing day in November and each new picture in this thread, my cheeseburger submission is more and more in jeopardy of not winning! :D Nice shot, Bernard. Those clouds turned one of the most photographed shots in the valley into something very different and interesting.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Bernard » November 11th, 2011, 8:27 am

Papasequoia wrote:With each passing day in November and each new picture in this thread, my cheeseburger submission is more and more in jeopardy of not winning! :D Nice shot, Bernard. Those clouds turned one of the most photographed shots in the valley into something very different and interesting.

That is actually what I think I was meaning to convey Papa. That Tunnel View lookout is a tried (almost tired?) and true place to squeeze off some pics. The weather, however, compelled me to drive up to it and take a good look. Its beauty also helped me ease my frustration regarding the cancellation. The clouds shifted constantly and I got some amazing shots with the sun peeking through at various angles. I also have some shots of El Cap from the valley floor where you see the rock struggle through the fog and mist. Today I'm sitting in a coffee shop not far again from YNP and the weather is almost tropical. It is humid, cloudy and dark. I don't even want to know what the brown trout are doing in some places because I have non-fishing commitments. Argh! Anyways, part of a good day angling can be the sights but it is also a meal! Speaking of burgers, my main pit stop is The Happy Burger in Mariposa. Yummy greasy spoon dining, wacky staff, oldies on the sound system and a huge menu.

B.

p.s. khuzhong thanks!
Bernard

Postby Benny » November 11th, 2011, 11:08 am

Excellent submission B, also digging the bows. Thanks for sharing.
Benny

Postby Sasha » November 12th, 2011, 10:48 am

Ok that last pic was a teaser and not my real submission. Here is my real unaltered (except for cropping) submission:

Sasha

Postby super dry fly » November 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Well it looks like the November contest is all wrapped up, maybe we can start December early?

Congrats on a stunning salmonid Sasha!

Bernard, to me it looks like your '10 rainbow is less speckled than the '11 version. Two awesome catches regardless.
"What you call a disease - I call a remedy. What you call the cause - I call the cure."

-the Bosstones
super dry fly

Postby Benny » November 12th, 2011, 3:14 pm

super dry fly wrote:Well it looks like the November contest is all wrapped up, maybe we can start December early?

Nope, there is still half of November left. I'm quite sure some of the guys on here still have plenty of time to hit the water and get some more photos submitted for the second half of the month.
Benny

Postby RichardCullip » November 14th, 2011, 8:05 am

Here's my November photo that captures why I like fishing San Diego Bay

Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby beachbum » November 15th, 2011, 4:29 pm

What a great group (apparently the word assorment sets off the auto-edit) of Addict's pictures so far this month. Well done! Here is my November entry.

Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Bernard » November 15th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Gasp that Brown photo is stellar!
Bernard

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing