REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New Fly Rod Opinions?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: New Fly Rod Opinions?

Postby midger » November 18th, 2011, 6:45 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Shoot, go with a 7 wt and then you could fish steelhead, stripers, shad, surf, and a bunch of other species. Since you already have a stable of 5 wts, I'd really think hard about my next rod being a 3 wt or a 7 wt. :grouphug:

I agree with the 7 weight. A 6 weight isn't that big an advantage over a 5 weight and if you want to throw streamers, saltwater fish, steelhead fish, etc, a 7 weight will suit you much better. The lightest rod I throw streamers with is a 5 weight. Sure you can throw them with a 3 or 4 weight, but come on, it ain't all that enjoyable using a rod with so little backbone to throw flies that weigh as much as the rod you're trying to use. Light rods have their place, but streamer fishing and heavy weighted nymphing isn't it. Just my opinion.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Artin » November 18th, 2011, 8:15 pm

midger wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:Shoot, go with a 7 wt and then you could fish steelhead, stripers, shad, surf, and a bunch of other species. Since you already have a stable of 5 wts, I'd really think hard about my next rod being a 3 wt or a 7 wt. :grouphug:

I agree with the 7 weight. A 6 weight isn't that big an advantage over a 5 weight and if you want to throw streamers, saltwater fish, steelhead fish, etc, a 7 weight will suit you much better. The lightest rod I throw streamers with is a 5 weight. Sure you can throw them with a 3 or 4 weight, but come on, it ain't all that enjoyable using a rod with so little backbone to throw flies that weigh as much as the rod you're trying to use. Light rods have their place, but streamer fishing and heavy weighted nymphing isn't it. Just my opinion.

completely agree with Midger on this one. If you're set on a bigger wt rod I'd go with a 7 as well.

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby silverlaker » November 19th, 2011, 2:12 pm

It sounds like you might be looking for a heaver rod than you already have. That said, I've enjoyed using my 9' 4 weight when fishing up there. Then again, I kinda enjoy using that rod every time I use that rod... :)

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby FlyinFish » November 19th, 2011, 4:58 pm

I always feel like 4wt and 6wt rods are either * sizes, or are very specific. I'd say go with a 7wt. It will do anything the 6wt will for trout in lakes and streams with not much more weight than a 6wt. But, you'll also be able to use it for bass, surf, or even just bigger streamers and the trout that eat them.

I threw my 7wt at HC and it felt fine, wasn't too heavy, was fine for the medium sized fish, and had enough strength to land a monster if one happened to come by. I wouldn't nymph with it, even with heavy nymph rigs and wind, but that's what your 5wt is for.
FlyinFish

Postby tomsakai » November 19th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Well, tough choices. It's occurred to me (based on advice from Mark, Craig, Eric and others) that for my current fishing I might be well served with a 10' nymphing rod for fishing the UO, LO, and those favorite creeks up there. So, I'm now looking at that too. Thanks all.
tomsakai

Postby fflutterffly » November 19th, 2011, 9:55 pm

I've been fishing my 310 Xa 4 from Allen fly fishing Company and love the action, even on the decent fish at HC. Price is right.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby meb » November 20th, 2011, 6:47 pm

I'd wait until after Christmas and return someone else's gift and buy both a 6 wt and 7wt. Eventually you'll need each, so buy them before the prices go up.

Mark
meb

Postby Rasputinj » November 20th, 2011, 10:45 pm

I would agree with a 10' rod. I have played around with my friend's Hardy Marksmen and Greys Streamflex. I like the Streamflex for price to performance. I have only tested out the 4wts for Czech Nymphing. I wish I had a 10' for UO yesterday, that extra reach would have come in handy to keep fly line off water.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing