REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Private Stanbery's Lake

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Private Stanbery's Lake

Postby briansII » April 3rd, 2012, 10:51 am

You guys know how to throw a party!! :bananadance: :bananadance:

I have some top secret intel that a fish of 10lbs was caught at one of the locations. Why no pictures?

briansII
briansII

Private Stanbery's Lake

Postby silverlaker » April 3rd, 2012, 10:58 am

Fishing is at its best with hard work involved... Or maybe it's with scotch involved. Either way, looks like a great trip. Nice report.
Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby anacrime » April 3rd, 2012, 11:31 am

Looks fun! Conditions look challenging to say the least.
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby dray » April 3rd, 2012, 12:46 pm

Wow what a read. Tuff conditions for sure but it looks like you guys had a good handle on things. Nice fish thanks for Sharing the experience with us.
dray

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » April 3rd, 2012, 1:52 pm

Well done guys!! I wish I could've made it but New Zealand put to big of a dent in my pocket and I needed to celebrate my birthday in town. Glad you guys got into some fish, I remember looking at the radar Saturday evening thinking, "well at least I'm home nice and warm and dry." Still would've been a blast.

Looks like Stanbery took my tip on how to get the upper hand while fishing with Joe, FEED HIM WHISKEY :funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby flybob » April 3rd, 2012, 5:27 pm

Well Jon, looks like you lake fishing is improving at a rapid pace! :D

Looks like a chilling adventure! :shock:

Awesome pics.

Well done gents!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby BradW » April 3rd, 2012, 8:39 pm

What a great trip! Thanks big time to our gracious host Mr. Stanberry for pulling this trip together. Although, I do have to confirm PapaS's observations on the extra sleep time Jon S. and Bill had. Fortunately, I didn't get to see Bill's sleeping attire. Here's our host enjoying a few calm moments

Here's part of the group enjoying a fine dinning experience

Here's one of Bill's fish, that I think took "Best Looking Fish" award

As PapaS mentioned we made a stop at an Eastern Sierra waterhole on the way up and back. What he didn't mention was I got schooled by him big time. I'm sitting there throwing everything I got and nada. Fish rising everywhere and he's picking up fish left and right.

It was a great trip. I got to fish with a few folks from the forum I never met before and I few I knew pretty well. Definitely on the "redo" list.

Brad
BradW

Postby 1mocast » April 3rd, 2012, 11:33 pm

Wow What an epic Cutty trip! Some of those images I don't want to see....Hint: It had something to do with skimpy underwear.....

Thanks for that great trip report! I got a runny nose reading and looking at those pics...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby beachbum » April 4th, 2012, 9:27 am

Papa delighted in his role of waking us up. The second time was after we asked him to let us sleep because we both needed some sleep since we would not be getting much the next night (got 3 hours before I had to be at LAX at 4 am). Paybacks are *, Jon :twisted:

All I can say about his underwear fascination (scary stuff) is they were jockey shorts and he is lucky I was wearing anything at all ;)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby FlyinFish » April 4th, 2012, 11:26 am

Wow, looks like an awesome trip with a great bunch of grey-beards ;)

Bill... you ever think about taking the spey rod out there? Being on a ladder maybe require some adjusting to, but you could probably cast quite nicely through that wind.

Love the snag photo. Looks like you got some nice streamer/mouse patterns out of it!
FlyinFish

Postby Papasequoia » April 4th, 2012, 11:55 am

Joe (Tech) was fishing a spey rod. It looked to me like he was getting off some very nice casts, but maybe he can chime in here with how it felt to fish it from a ladder into the wind.

FlyinFish wrote:Wow, looks like an awesome trip with a great bunch of grey-beards ;)

As with any gathering when you get a bunch of guys together there was plenty of good-natured ribbing going on. However, perhaps the best line of the trip was from Joe's brother Jeff. As we were sitting around the table at the Steakhouse in the Nugget and contemplating the $30-50 entree prices, the banter naturally turned to seeing who should pick up the check. Should it be the biggest fish? The most fish? Something else?

When the target settled on Jeff for a moment, he paused and said, "Well, looking around the table I'm pretty sure I could outrun everyone here."

Ouch! Grey-beards indeed. Of course, what he hadn't reckoned with was that when you get older you get more wily and devious. We could have just gotten up one by one, said our prostate was bothering us or something similar and slipped away back to the hotel room. Who needs to run? :lol: :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Gary C. » April 4th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Being able to contemplate a $30-50 entry is one of the few benefits of being a grey beard. When my buddies and I were in our 20's we would have to steal whatever slab of meat we thought our Moms wouldn't miss from the back of the freezer for our fishing trips.
Gary C.

Postby Jimbo Roberts » April 4th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Two of the best reasons to come and fish the far west, Golden Trout and the Lahontan Cutthroats, historically the largest of all Trout species. I am a nut for Cutthroats and I've been trying to catch as many subspecies as I can for several years. I've read about fishing from ladders on Pyramid and throwing full sinking lines for these monsters for some time now. It's on my bucket list. Unfortunately my list could not possibly be completed in my lifetime unless I win the Lotto tonight! Come on lightning, get me now!

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby tyingfool » April 5th, 2012, 6:52 pm

I MISSED the Beachbum in his thong WOW and Jon sleeping in holy ^#$%#%#. Looks like I missed an epic trip to the big lake and some delicious SCOTCH @##&^%$@ again. :lol: .. Well maybe next time.

David
Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tyingfool

Postby Benny » April 5th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Some day guys.... some day. Looks like a very cool time was had.
Benny

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing