REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Looking for Love

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Looking for Love

Postby fly addict » April 6th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Curtis,
If it is a 9' 3wt you want I have something you might be interested in. I have a Winston IM6 9’ 3wt that is real sweet to cast and fish with. I’m just loaded with Winston 3 wts and this one does not get used enough by me. I’ll post photos if you are interested in it.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby WanderingBlues » April 6th, 2012, 4:40 pm

fly addict wrote:Curtis,
If it is a 9' 3wt you want I have something you might be interested in. I have a Winston IM6 9’ 3wt that is real sweet to cast and fish with. I’m just loaded with Winston 3 wts and this one does not get used enough by me. I’ll post photos if you are interested in it.

Mark

Photo's and PM me with details :)

Also, and I know it sounds sentimental.... I want this rod to be a special one. A real keeper. For years. I was a hard core mountain bike junkie and competed in sport class XC. I did well enough to regularly podium in local and even the occasional state level event. I even guided for a touring company in Utah. It was something I was at least as passionate about, if not more, than fly fishing.

Got knocked out of competing a few years ago with contracting valley fever and the days of high level are forever gone. Fortunately, flyfishing filled that void and the friends I made along the way here have more than made up for the camaraderie I missed on the trail.

The ability to purchase this set up is because I sold my last (and favorite) race bike. It was tough to do because it was an admission that that part of my life is now a memory. So, I wanted to honor that with a worthy purchase.

Goofy, yes, but that's how I roll... :rockon:
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Looking for Love

Postby Rasputinj » April 6th, 2012, 4:57 pm

I prefer 4 to 5wt on UO,EW, HC. I have a few big hogs out and would want something to handle bigger fish better and I can cast better with wind. Once I go to Rush, Convict, upper elevation lakes I like 3wt rod. If you start talking about rods in $800 range you might want to look at Bamboo like some of Doug Daniel's quad rods.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby lucfish » April 6th, 2012, 5:31 pm

I didn't know you had a five weight. Although on the Running Man River I still think a 4 or 5 weight is what is needed, all the other area streams previously mentioned a one to four would work fine in most cases. If you can get a 3 weight Winston in good condition used, that would be hard to beat. But like I said before, go to Marriotts and spend a couple of hours trying out all kinds of rods. (It's not that I'm in love with Marriotts but that would be the closest flyshop for you that has an extensive inventory of all kinds of rods.)
lucfish

Postby Jimbo Roberts » April 6th, 2012, 6:03 pm

First of all I am a nut for Sage rods and I haven't fished one of the new "ONE" rods.
That being said for a fast action rod it's hard to beat the old XP line. I have one that may suit the bill well; it is a 386 XP. It is my favorite 3wt. when there is room to cast it. For those overgrown tunnels I will fall back to a 376.
For a 3wt. this rod is very versatile rod. Need to hit a nose at 18' with a #22 BWO, no problem.
Need to throw a indicator with some beadheads and still have enough power to set the hook, done.
Did the water get high and need to throw a #8 bugger, check that one too.
Best news is they are all over the place in the resale market and not hard to find.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby planettrout » April 6th, 2012, 6:15 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:
fly addict wrote:Curtis,

Mark

Photo's and PM me with details :)

Also, and I know it sounds sentimental.... I want this rod to be a special one. A real keeper. For years. I was a hard core mountain bike junkie and competed in sport class XC. I did well enough to regularly podium in local and even the occasional state level event. I even guided for a touring company in Utah. It was something I was at least as passionate about, if not more, than fly fishing.

Got knocked out of competing a few years ago with contracting valley fever and the days of high level are forever gone. Fortunately, flyfishing filled that void and the friends I made along the way here have more than made up for the camaraderie I missed on the trail.

The ability to purchase this set up is because I sold my last (and favorite) race bike. It was tough to do because it was an admission that that part of my life is now a memory. So, I wanted to honor that with a worthy purchase.

Like I said...go SPOIL yourself...

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/feature ... ure_14.php

PT/TB :idea:
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby fly addict » April 6th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Curtis,
Here is the photos, I'll send you a PM with the info.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby flybob » April 6th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Curtis, I have read all the responses, all good advice!

Short and sweet, those videos I sent you of me battling those bass, THAT was an 8' 3" 3wt!
And if you are not into BIG names, and looking to save some bucks, it was a Cabela's LSi.
The rod was a warranted replacement for another rod that was six years old and I broke it.
So I now have another 25 years to break this one!

Good luck
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Looking for Love

Postby silverlaker » April 6th, 2012, 10:15 pm

I haven't fished those waters as much as some of the other posters - but my favorite up there is the sage xpIII 9' 4 wt. Mark has a pretty sweet rod out there... If your looking for something new, I bought my wife a 3 wt Winston GVX last year. They call it medium fast... I call it medium. Nonetheless, when conditions are right, it's a fun rod. I like Luc's suggestion of going and casting a bunch of them.
Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby briansII » April 7th, 2012, 9:14 am

WanderingBlues wrote:Also, and I know it sounds sentimental.... I want this rod to be a special one. A real keeper. For years.

I had several rods pop into my head when I read the above. Some of the "classic", early graphite rods, like the
Sage 389 LL, Winston's IM6(that's a very clean rod Mark!), and Scott's G. Of course bamboo and a couple glass rods popped into my head too. Then I remembered reading this.

WanderingBlues wrote:I'll check out Marriots. And Ryan, if you have ever seen me trying to cast Sean's Lamiglass, or Dr. Creeks SPL's, you'd know very quickly that I'm ridiculous using slower action.... Ugly I tell you!

If you don't like the slower, softer action rods, you'd probably not like any of the rods I mentioned above. I can relate to that. 80% of the rods I fish are fast action, but I do enjoy fishing softer rods too. Didn't you fish a Sage One in Co., and like it? That would be high on my list, if you wanted to splurge on yourself. Orvis Helios, Hardy Zenith, and Winston BIIIx(a rod I'm most curious about). Just don't see how you can go wrong with these, or rods from Scott, St Croix, and others.

I've found my "special" 3wt. It's a Winston BIIx. Love casting and fishing that rod.

briansII
briansII

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing