REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Kudos to Hodgman

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Kudos to Hodgman

Postby Papasequoia » June 17th, 2012, 9:55 pm

About a year ago, when I realized I needed a backup to my leaky Simms someone posted about a Hodgmans wader sale. I grabbed a pair that were really too big, but usable. I only used them a couple of times until a big trip a couple of months ago when my legs literally filled with water. Looking at them the next day I found two tears, one on each leg right next to the seam. I needed them, so I took a picture and fortunately Swindle (Andrew) had a patch kit with him since this was too big for just aquaseal. We patched them up, let them dry overnight and I used them the next day. They still leaked, but not as badly. Got home and sprayed them all over with rubbing alcohol looking for a leak but couldn't find even a pinhole.

So, I sent off an email to Hodgmans with pictures attached. Didn't hear anything for a week, so I called. I got a very nice customer service rep who looked up my email, said we don't make those anymore, what would you like as a replacement? I told her and she ordered them for me on the spot. I asked if she needed the old ones and she said no, the picture was fine. She even ordered me a smaller size.

Thought I would share because when a company does a good thing it should be mentioned as much as (or more than) the negative stuff one often hears. So, kudos to Hodgmans - they cost a fraction of what Simms cost with the same customer service.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Kudos to Hodgman

Postby Dry Fly Rie » June 17th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Nice. Love it when a bad thing turns into something great.
Dry Fly Rie

Kudos to Hodgman

Postby Rasputinj » June 18th, 2012, 8:07 am

Nice to see good customer service.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby FlyinFish » June 18th, 2012, 8:48 am

Bought myself a pair of Hodgmans for $60 on clearance. Met all my requirements: built in gators, some sort of pocket, belt included. They were supposed to be a backup, but have ended up being my go-to pair. Even at $120 full price, I'd say they're much better than what you can get for $200+ from Orvis or Simms. The low end items from high end manufacturers are never that great.

And to hear they have customer service like that is icing on the cake. :bananadance:
FlyinFish

Postby Dry Fly Rie » June 18th, 2012, 1:27 pm

FlyinFish wrote:Even at $120 full price, I'd say they're much better than what you can get for $200+ from Orvis or Simms.

Totally agree, FlyinFish. I spent $95 on a pair of FroggToggs chest waders, and they've been great. I've used them both tubing and wading for 3 years, and I haven't had a problem yet.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby 1mocast » June 18th, 2012, 3:09 pm

I have no complaints about my Hodgemans. Its good to hear about the customer service too.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby dray » June 18th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Great to hear about the customer service and the new waders, cool.

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but I too had a GOOD experience with the company "fishpond." I had a a great pack/vest that was my go to vest for most everything I do. Over the years, I had a couple blowouts with the zippers, one of which was the big rear back cargo compartment. This was a drag for a while because I would use bungie cords to hold my gear inside the pack. So I recently made contact with fishpond and they said, send it in for repairs. I have had this pack for several years and my receipt was nowhere to be found. Not a problem they said, so I sent it back to them. After two weeks the pack was returned to me completely fixed with a follow up email from them. Great customer service for me and very satisfied with the results. I'm back in business :bananadance: all I need to do now, is get out and fish.
dray

Postby flocktothewall » June 20th, 2012, 1:29 pm

When I got into fly fishing about 4 years ago no, I picked up a pair of Hodgman WadeLite waders on sale at a big box retailer for $35, they have lasted me since. I don't fish but maybe once every 2 weeks on average, but hey, its made buying $450 simms very difficult for me. My hodgmans are still running strong, people scoff at the brand, but if it works, it works, right?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Return to General Fly Fishing