REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hiking/Wading Boot Question

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Hiking/Wading Boot Question

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 9th, 2012, 10:46 pm

From a shoe/boot perspective, I was just curious how you guys handle a situation where you have to do some hiking to a destination and then wade? For example, if you're going to hike for an hour or so, and then fish, do you hike in the same shoes that you wade, and then walk out wet? Or do you hike in one pair of boots, and take another with you?

Currently, if I'm going to be hiking a ways, I usually just wear a pair of my (non-wading) boots for the trek, and then take whatever shoes I'm going to wade in in a small backpack. It gets a bit annoying having to carry two pairs of boots. My wading boots are a pair of felt-soled Chotas, and I know about the Vibram sole options out there, but I guess I'm just curious if a vibram-soled shoe is something that can be hiked in to a destination, then worn to wade (usually wet-wading), and then hiked out in while they are still wet?

Thanks in advance for any tips/insight.
Dry Fly Rie

Re: Hiking/Wading Boot Question

Postby silverlaker » July 10th, 2012, 1:19 am

I can't figure this one out either. For the last year or so I've been using a pair of super lightweight Paragonia boots OR a pair of Simms wading sandals alongside hiking boots. Depending upon season, weather, or trip duration, I've packed in/out 20+ miles with the wading boots in my pack and day tripped 6+ miles in the sandals. Wish I could make some of the "hike-in" wading boots make sense. Something about wet shoes and long hikes just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby Artin » July 10th, 2012, 6:46 am

I got a pair of Simms freestone wading boots. For me they didn't seem to be as good as felt while wading, they are awesomely comfortable for walking and hiking. I threw on the cleats from Simms and they turned into a suction cup on slippery rocks in the water. I now use them to hike into places when I do have the luxury to do so and find them to be really comfortable and not heavy at all. I thought about the wear and tear on the soles of the boots but then it hit me that they will wear anyway so why not. I can always replace the sole and cleats so I just use them and they have been good to me. Also let me mention that walking on dirt trails has less wear on the cleats than walking on pavement and granite.

Just my opinion

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby Reyne » July 10th, 2012, 7:18 am

I'm with you, Artin. My Freestones fit well, and it gives good support for longer hikes and boulder hopping. I wear neoprene wading booties over thin liner socks when wet wading. I can always take them off , wring out the liners and they're not so soggy. I noticed the vibram soles will need replacement soon. I also have a pair of the same with felt and they're almost brand new. While felts, IMO, provide better traction in the water, the vibram is better on the trail. Hiking boots and a good pair of sandals would be the ticket if I'm hiking rough terrain.
Regards,
Rey

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach
Reyne

Postby Rob909 » July 10th, 2012, 7:31 am

I have the Simms Headwaters with the Vibram sole and I don't think twice about hiking in them.

Hike in, fish, hike out wet.....no issues.

But also, these are relatively short hikes. I don't know if I would want to hike out, a long distance, when wet. But dry....no problem.

Rob
Rob909

Postby briansII » July 10th, 2012, 9:56 am

I hike in my wading boots. I either have my waders on, or neoprene, wet wading socks/booties. I also wear a thin, synthetic socks. Feet feel a little mushy when hiking out wet, but I have never had a blister problem. I don't like hiking with wet, felt soles. They get saturated, heavy, and pick up dirt. Only time I will carry my wading boots, is if I'm carrying a backpack.

briansII
briansII

Postby gabe » July 11th, 2012, 10:14 pm

i use to have Korker Guides. I hiked and backpacked a lot in em. They took a good beating lasting about 2 years of monthly use. I bought em in regular size (not a size up) and wore Simms wading socks with em. I loved that when backpacking, I wouldn't have to carry two shoes for the trek - and it was nice to be able to swap from treads to felts if needed. They were also very comfortable hiking in.
I currently have a pair of Simms boots. not a big fan. I plan on getting another pair of Korkers when I can.
gabe

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 11th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice/suggestions/insight. I really appreciate it.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby fflutterffly » July 14th, 2012, 7:11 pm

I have the Simms RiverTec Boa. These are by far the best * boots for me, great in the water and do well on the trail, though I only hike very short distances. (Not like you guys.) For Summer Wet wading I use my old low top Merrell boots and carry an extra pair of socks (light) for the final walk out.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby RichardCullip » July 14th, 2012, 7:48 pm

When it's a day trip,I'll hike and fish in my Simms Vibram-soled Rivershed boots. On overnight and longer trips, I'll leave the heavy boots at home and swap over to very lightweight trailrunners for both hiking and wading. I'm currently using Innov8 Roclite 295's which have a very sticky rubber sole that I love on the trails and find adequate (but not great) while wet wading. Since my base pack weight is sub-10lbs (w/o food) I just can't justify either the bulk or the weight of heavy wading boots just for fishing.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby flocktothewall » July 29th, 2012, 10:19 am

I had the freestone Vibram shoes and they were wonderful for hiking but my left foot was too big for them with thicker socks so I upgraded to the Simms guide boot, way above my budget, but my wife was at the store and she said to "Stop skimping on your feet, you always complain about them!" and gave me the okay!

I have to say, they are like hiking boots, so light its hard to believe they are wading boots.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Return to General Fly Fishing