REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Ryan's feet - 57 miles in

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Ryan's feet - 57 miles in

Postby Papasequoia » July 13th, 2012, 5:43 pm

So when it reached 114 degrees in Ridgecrest we made a last minute decision to head to Mammoth. I knew Ryan would be making a re-supply here sometime this week, but I didn't realize it would be the very next day. Fortunately, multiple messages left with him and Lindsay worked out and he and James were able to make it to the condo before getting a motel. He can tell the rest of the story tonight (unless he has too many Tower 10 IPAs), but here's a picture of his feet after 57 miles. Hopefully with some inserts and some TLC they will be back on the trail tomorrow (again, assuming the IPAs don't prevent it) :lol:

Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: Ryan's feet - 57 miles in

Postby Wildman » July 13th, 2012, 5:49 pm

They actually look pretty good. Looking to hear how the fishing was. My memories of the JMT and fishing are fading fast.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby rkfiske » July 13th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Jon caught me while I was on the phone. You can't imagine how great it is to be at a real house with running water, a bed waiting for me and all I have to do is put up with a grumpy old guy! :lol:

I wish I had more to offer in respect to fishing, but I've only wet a line a couple times and each was in a watershed overrun by brookies so it was just countless little dinks.

Hope is all well with you guys back at home!

Jim - the blisters don't hurt all too much but I've developed some real bad pain in the balls of my feet. I'm hoping the new insoles will help alleviate that pain. It's the one real issue I've had so far, other than that I can't complain! :)
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby lucfish » July 13th, 2012, 6:02 pm

They don't look good to me. Ouch! What we do for a little peace and quiet (and some fishing of course. )
lucfish

Postby beachbum » July 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm

That's a brutal hike over the passes and Ryan's feet reflect that. Tape em up, keep going, and take lots of pics. It has to be pretty nice for him to lay over at your place after a week on the trail.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Gary C. » July 13th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Ryan, you have my sympathy, blisters can be miserable. You might P/U some sock liners before you get back on the trail. I don't use them but I've known guys that were prone to blisters and they said it helped them. I guess that we will just miss each other. Some friends and I head over Duck Pass next Sat and will be at VVR on the 25th. If for some reason you delayed a few days I'd buy you a cold one at VVR. Also, how bad have the skeeters been?
Gary C.

Postby Eric1 » July 13th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Ryan, thanks for the update. Sure hope the insoles help you
Eric
Eric1

Postby RSetina » July 13th, 2012, 8:13 pm

I saw you were at Jon's condo when I logged onto Facebook. I was wondering what was up. Hope you can get back on the trail but don't get into trouble with your feet. Hope the inserts work for you.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 13th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Sounds like an awesome adventure. Good luck the rest of the way, and hope the feet hang in there.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby WanderingBlues » July 13th, 2012, 8:56 pm

You are stud! Not you, Papa. Talking about Ryan. You are more 'god like...'
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby L. Ben Doe » July 13th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Nasty! I get blisters in the same spots (but after only 10 miles). Keep them feet dry!
L. Ben Doe

Postby 1mocast » July 13th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Ryan,
Hang in there! Another 150 or so miles to go!
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby mike.s » July 14th, 2012, 12:46 am

Use mole skin and sock liners!! Good luck!!
mike.s

Postby flybob » July 14th, 2012, 2:27 pm

WHAT, I thought you were going to be ON THE TRAIL for the whole distance!

Well, I guess I still have to respect the the fact that you ARE doing it, and I NEVER will. :oops:

Hope you are having a blast Ryan!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Papasequoia » July 14th, 2012, 4:14 pm

I'm sorry to say that Ryan won't be able to respond to any more comments. After James and I split one of these beers he pounded the other 11 by himself. That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - just ask Ryan!

Well, you might have to wait another 150 miles or so, assuming they make it through the day. Here they are waiting for the shuttle to Red's Meadow this morning. Go Ryan!

He bought some of those sport gel pad inserts and both and James bought liner socks. Knock wood they work out.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing