REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Three For One.....

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Three For One.....

Postby 8NoFish » July 27th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Wildman/Jim,

Thanks for the great report. Thanks, too, for the forum update. Sounds like it's in good hands.

I'm so sorry to hear about Bob Banfield. I grew up in Gardena, in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. He always seemed to be a very nice, approachable, down-to-earth type of guy on camera...and that he was probably the same kind of person off camera, too. I worked in local television up here in the Central Coast and I know that many newspeople are not close to being as nice as they seem on-air. The ones who don't seem so nice on-air, on the other hand, are worse in real life!
8nofish

http://www.krop.com/ghiramatsu/ illustration gallery
http://ghiramatsu.carbonmade.com/ graphic design / illustration / Photography
http://ghgraphicfish.blogspot.com/ blog
8NoFish

Postby Wildman » July 27th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Yeah...I've worked with both types.

You're right. Bob was what you saw on camera. Didn't have a pretentious bone in his body. He really cared about the people he reported on. I was having lunch with Bob and his daughter one day and someone came up to the table just as the food arrived. Bob took five minutes to talk with the person without touching his food until they finally excused themselves. His daughter asked, "Was that someone important...you spent quite a bit of time talking with them." Bob answered, "They're all important. They're the reason I have a job".

Bob's Q rating was higher then any other news person in the SOCAL market and remained so for the past ten years. I've done hundreds of live TV interviews over the years but the ones with Bob were like always like talking with an old friend. I was fortunate to have worked with him for almost 24 years.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 27th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Really nice post, JIm. Glad you and Tom got out for some fun. And thanks for your commitment to FFA.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby Bakoguy » July 27th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Well Done
Bakoguy

Postby Eric1 » July 27th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Great post Jim. We're in good hands with you at the helm!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric
Eric1

Postby Cholcomb » July 28th, 2012, 8:16 am

Great report and thanks for all you do
Cholcomb

Postby 1mocast » July 28th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Jim,
Good Stuff. Bob has been an inland empire fixture for as long as I remember. He will be sorely missed by all.

Some nice fish and trip report....Thanks for sharing that.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby midger » July 28th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Nice tribute.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Troutinator » July 31st, 2012, 4:24 pm

Great post, friend. I, too, am sorry to hear about the loss of your long time friend.

I have had the privilege of sharing a creek with Jim. He almost "makes" you fish the holes while he takes photos. My family has also had the privilege of spending time with Jim, his wife and beautiful Belgium horses on his ranch. I know that this forum is in very, very capable hands with you at the helm and I look forward to tomorrow and the future.
Troutinator

Postby Wildman » July 31st, 2012, 4:59 pm

Troutinator wrote:.
My family has also had the privilege of spending time with Jim, his wife and beautiful Belgium horses on his ranch. I know that this forum is in very, very capable hands with you at the helm and I look forward to tomorrow and the future.

Thanks, Scott. It was fun fishing with you and Mark and Tom. Yeah...I do like to take pictures. Here are some of your daughter, Michelle
and you wife, Denise. Both outstanding fly fishers and tiers in their own right.
They both were accomplished horse people and took to driving right away. The pictures bring back good memories. We lost both our dog, Buzz and our lead mare, Katie right after that.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing