REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Strong and Fast Knots?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Strong and Fast Knots?

Postby flychunker2255 » November 6th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Here's a link and video of the Speed Knot that Will Sands, a veteran fly fishing guide out of Taylor Creek Fly Shop uses in CO. He knows his stuff.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fish ... peed-knot/
flychunker2255

Postby k9mark » November 9th, 2012, 4:34 pm

DAVY KNOT!
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby KRoberts1 » November 10th, 2012, 8:06 am

Intersting article in the June/July issue of Fly Fisherman mag covering tippet testings, tippet2tippet knots and tippet2fly knots. Very enlightening.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby KRoberts1 » November 10th, 2012, 8:13 am

Here's a neat website loaded with all kinds of fishing knots and demonstration video lessons.

www.netknots.com

keith
KRoberts1

Postby flocktothewall » November 11th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I don't know if anyone listens to Tom Rosenbauer's podcast for Orvis, but a few months ago he talked about a strength testing machine Orvis had acquired for their rod department and he said he spent a day in there testing the strength of different knots.

He found that that the improved cinch knot actually broke under less tension that the regular cinch knot, and has since stopped tying the improved cinch. I'm lazy, so as soon as I heard it, I stopped too... and I don't notice any more breakages than before, but I also have learned the feeling of when its going to break...
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby 1mocast » November 11th, 2012, 3:06 pm

I use the kreh for the salt. It is so easy to tie and seems to hold well.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby briansII » November 12th, 2012, 6:03 pm

1mocast wrote:I use the kreh for the salt. It is so easy to tie and seems to hold well.

We did a little "real world" testing of the Kreh Loop this weekend. I was using 20lb fluorocarbon leaders. My buddy was using 25 lb mono. I had 2 hard snags, and pulled hard enough to have the knot fail. I ended up with a pigtail when it broke. "Hard enough" means I pulled so hard, that I was pulling the boat to the snag. I had to point the trolling motor in the opposite direction in order to break the snag. I was using 4 turns for the knot. I am going to go to 5 turns, when using fluoro for an extra measure of confidence. BTW, I have full confidence in this knot, as I have had to pull extremely hard on the line to break this knot.

My fishing buddy was able to pull his snag off without breaking the knot, but it straightened his 3/0, saltwater hook. Later he hooked a really nice striper, using a 25lb mono leader. The fish made a big run, and he was clearing(no way to turn the fish)the stripped out line. Once the line hit the reel, it over spooled and locked up. He had a split second to correct the situation, but it was too late. The fish popped the 25lb leader. When he reeled in, the leader broke above the knot. No knot failure. Luckily he had the rod pointed directly at the fish, or he would be shopping for a new rod.

That fish will haunt him for a long time.

briansII
briansII

Postby meb » November 12th, 2012, 7:22 pm

This probably applies mostly to light tippets and when you have tied 6x to 6x or 5x to 5x in your leader. If your leader to fly knot is close to 100% strength, sometimes your leader breaks not at the fly but at your blood knot or surgeons knot on your leader.
meb

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing