REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

How Low Can You Go? (FF Strategies)

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: How Low Can You Go? (FF Strategies)

Postby Bernard » November 13th, 2012, 8:04 pm

For starters, great fish!
There's no beauty to fishing deep with heavy shot imho but I do it often. I am not sure if this is just a winter thing.
One of my best days ever (in my life) was last summer high-sticking with stupid amounts of shot. If there's any redemption, I will add that the flies were self tied and the result of researching a particular water. They worked, only if fished on the bottom in deep runs. We're talking nothing shallower than 5/6 feet and fast water. The takes were terribly obvious due to the speed of the current. Given the close-quarters that I was able to fish, the temptation to have any sort of "indicator" was kept at arm's length (pun?). On one trip, I remember we snorkeled a pool, and the biggest fish was glued to the bottom and it was DEEP; maybe 15 feet deep. Crazy. Not sure a sinking line would even be as effective either considering where the fish was positioned. You;d have to drop your fly/line in from the tailout above! Like with you, a bundle of shot would have been the ticket. I am experimenting right now with different approaches to depth in the surf because the more predatory fish don't always feed near bottom and I also have fewer foul hook ups with leos and those shovel-nose critters. Another thought is how fly line or even higher diameter leader (such as tapered leaders) actually offer resistance. If you want to high stick super deep use a straight tippet. The whole Czech thing doesn't bother with tapers etc. Playing with depth is turning into a major great game for me. Interesting subject. Thanks for posting.
B
Bernard

Postby flybob » November 13th, 2012, 8:24 pm

B, thanks for the props.....I learned from the best!

This post was really intended for the newbies, I am so glad to see all the pros commenting with their take on the subject of fishing sub surface, I know that there are some of you out there who do nothing but! In fact I know of one gent on this board who can get down to 80 ft. with a fly rod! :o

I can honestly say that all my PB's( :lol: ) came on the big weighted wet flies, or splits, from down deep!

However, I think I will not be adding snorkel gear to my fishing backpack!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby tenandtwo » November 13th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Oh, so that's what happened, all I could see from my vantage point was a red hat. Boy did I pick the wrong time to wander off. That is a pretty good hole, I wondered what was at the bottom. :rockon:
tenandtwo

Postby FlyinFish » November 14th, 2012, 12:05 am

BLASPHEMY! Splitshots, thingamabobbers, speydicator lines?!?!?! Stop the torture!

I've spent many a days at the bow of the boat throwing jigs at yellows and poppers at tuna while the rest of the folks are hooking them left and right on bait. I've drifted dries over and over again through foam lines so drop dead sexy that your bones shudder anticipating the rise, without any luck. And now, I swing big chunks of rabbit and marabou over emerald waters rumored to hold steel, waiting for that legendary tug. It's just more fun, plain and simple, and sometimes, it's worth the fishless days just knowing you tried.

I will deny it till my dieing days, but I may possibly use some splitshot every now and then. When the locals run high after the winter runoff, a big ole nasty streamer and a couple splitshots dredged through deep, fast holes can result in some big fish. But I've never done it myself :Idiot:
FlyinFish

Postby briansII » November 14th, 2012, 11:51 am

All kidding aside, there is a certain......dare I say, "zen-like" experience when deep nymphing. You are presenting the fly(s) to get the maximum penetration through the water, mending like a crazy person, then intently watching your line for any irregularities in movement. Once you hit that zone, it all flows without much actual thought. You are so focused, you'll set on a feeling, and no visual clue. Sound crazy? I bet many here know what I'm talking about.

Dry fly fishing is different. Most everything is visual. I don't believe your focus/concentration is as high as when you are nymphing. Both have their attractions to me, but I like streamer fishin' bestest! :bananadance: ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby FlyinFish » November 14th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Brian, agreed on the nymphing part, but as for dries... try throwing a #20 BWO to a foam line on the opposite side of the stream across multiple currents and eddies while maintaining a drag-free downstream drift, and then tell me it's all visual :D . Or try skating a #8 caddis across a run with the perfect speed, arc, and skate.

And ya, streamers are pretty freakin' awesome! Definitely my second favorite style of fly.
FlyinFish

Postby WanderingBlues » November 14th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Who doesn't love dry fly action? But, I also love throwing a double nymph through a shallow run and watching the thingamabobber (yes, I said it... :booty: ) go viciously sideways or under. I don't use split, though. I've always appreciated the Loon Tungsten putty. I usually keep a bit where the cork and rod join and pinch what's needed to have me dragging the bottoms.

Case in point, when BobK and I were on the Lower last week, he was slinging a PT and getting some weak takes with the weight he had. As soon as he adjusted to hit the bottom, he was all over those fish. Non-stop. I was having the same experience on the late bite until I upsized the indicator and added weight to get to the bottom. The result? And thanks to Greg for the micro-mayfly the fish has in its jaw.

"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby 1mocast » November 14th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Pretty cool post.

How low is low enough?

1) Add a split shot.
2) Cast upstream and did you hit the bottom?
a) No? Go back to #1.
b) Yes? You got the depth dialed in.

You know there is a deep pool when your split shot count goes into double digits.... ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby FlyinFish » November 14th, 2012, 1:58 pm

That's a good lookin' fish Curtis. I think I caught him last Spring... on a #20 DRY!

:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
FlyinFish

Postby briansII » November 14th, 2012, 3:13 pm

FlyinFish wrote:Brian, agreed on the nymphing part, but as for dries... try throwing a #20 BWO to a foam line on the opposite side of the stream across multiple currents and eddies while maintaining a drag-free downstream drift, and then tell me it's all visual :D . Or try skating a #8 caddis across a run with the perfect speed, arc, and skate.

And ya, streamers are pretty freakin' awesome! Definitely my second favorite style of fly.

Some of my most memorable trout takes have been the most challenging ones to reach. Those fish that are holding at your absolute maximum distance you can cast. Sure I don't land many of them, but to get that fly in front of them, and have them eat it is all that I need.

Having an eat while swinging a mouse, puts that to shame though. :lol: :lol:

briansII
briansII

Postby lucfish » November 14th, 2012, 4:56 pm

It all boils down on what floats your boat. Sometimes you'll want to throw nothing but topwater stuff and when there not on the chew that can be both challenging and rewarding depending on your success or lack thereof. Sometimes all I want to do is look at a bobber and see if I can dead drift an indicator with a couple of nymphs and some lead 80 feet and then that's my challenge. Sometimes I'm in the mood for nothing more than dropping the flies right in front of me and seeing how close I can get to the fish and still get bit. I will say going down will produce more fish but the topwater is a little more fun. My best freshwater grab is swinging a big ugly dry in front of a steelie, hard to beat.
lucfish

Postby tomsakai » November 14th, 2012, 7:04 pm

FlyinFish wrote: try throwing a #20 BWO to a foam line on the opposite side of the stream across multiple currents and eddies while maintaining a drag-free downstream drift

Arvin, not only are you my hero for finding my flybox last year, but also for being able to do the above. I get really frustrated, especially when I see Fly Addict do it so successfuly.
tomsakai

Postby FlyinFish » November 14th, 2012, 11:55 pm

tomsakai wrote:
FlyinFish wrote: try throwing a #20 BWO to a foam line on the opposite side of the stream across multiple currents and eddies while maintaining a drag-free downstream drift

Arvin, not only are you my hero for finding my flybox last year, but also for being able to do the above. I get really frustrated, especially when I see Fly Addict do it so successfuly.

HA! What makes you think I can actually DO that? Haha. I've taken many a coaching from guys like and including Mark.

The best part about that fish was getting it on an attractor pattern, instead of your usual match the hatch BWO (though it was still a #20). It's my secret weapon for even picky trout, it's not an Adams, and I ain't gonna tell ya'll what it is :mrgreen: .

I'll never forget the one day I was in David's shop before heading up to HC and all he kept saying over and over again was that "it has to be a downstream drift, otherwise they won't even look at it." He really pounded that into my head and I spent all day trying to get my 12'+ leader to not go first. Boy was it hard, but boy did it work when I could make it happen.

Yup, at the end of the day, it's all about whatever floats your boat.
FlyinFish

Postby midger » November 16th, 2012, 2:32 pm

lucfish wrote:It all boils down on what floats your boat. .

Luc pretty much hit the nail on the head. for nymphing though, just remember:

The difference between a good nymph fisherman and a great nymph fisherman is usually about one splitshot.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

How Low Can You Go? (FF Strategies)

Postby Rasputinj » November 17th, 2012, 2:32 am

midger wrote:
lucfish wrote:It all boils down on what floats your boat. .

Luc pretty much hit the nail on the head. for nymphing though, just remember:

The difference between a good nymph fisherman and a great nymph fisherman is usually about one splitshot.

Sometimes on deep runs of the Kern it might be 2 splitshot.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing