REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishermen’s fear: Publics right to fish shifting under Obama

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fishermen’s fear: Publics right to fish shifting under Obama

Postby Artin » March 10th, 2010, 11:05 am

WOW!
I REALLY can't wait for the next election! This guy is disaster man! So far everything he has touched has FAILED! Leave us alone. He doesn't get it. So so out of touch!.

Last I checked the UN was pretty obsolete in its entirety! They really have no clue and why the * are we going to adopt their rules and regs? Ours are just fine! We just need to allocate funds better and that's it. Taking a look at other states and we're fine!

Even if they pass this RIDICULOUS thing I will disregard it! No one tells me I can't fish.

Look at Europe. They have to buy licenses for specific areas and stretches of water. So the same river can be in 3 zones for example and if you wanted to fish it then guess what.... buy 3 licenses.

Imagine driving up the Kern and having to buy 2 licenses for the stretch from Kernville to JD bridge and another for above the bridge!
All these "new" ideas are leading to more resemblance toward the rules and lifestyles of Europe. Believe me I have been there many times.... You don't want to live like them!!!

What a SHMUK!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby WanderingBlues » March 10th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Perhaps President Obama should follow in President Hoover's footsteps.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby rayfound » March 10th, 2010, 1:45 pm

I believe he did...

Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby WanderingBlues » March 10th, 2010, 1:59 pm

rayfound wrote:I believe he did...

Touche'......... :lol:
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » March 10th, 2010, 2:19 pm

This is a hot topic on every fly fishing forum I read. IMHO, just a little too much speculation going on right now, to get a clear picture of what's in store for us. I scanned over the document, and fear I may never know what it's all about.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/docume ... FINAL2.pdf

Clearly, this is turning into a politically divisive issue.

briansII
briansII

Postby Sasha » March 10th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Hmmmmmm trying to resist the temptation of getting involved in a political thread..................

Well as I have posted on other forums: Time to stock up on those "pre-ban" fly fishing rods!

From my cold dead hands! :lol:

Sasha

Postby Flyjunkie » March 10th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Artin wrote:WOW!
I REALLY can't wait for the next election! This guy is disaster man! So far everything he has touched has FAILED! Leave us alone. He doesn't get it. So so out of touch!.

Last I checked the UN was pretty obsolete in its entirety! They really have no clue and why the * are we going to adopt their rules and regs? Ours are just fine! We just need to allocate funds better and that's it. Taking a look at other states and we're fine!

Even if they pass this RIDICULOUS thing I will disregard it! No one tells me I can't fish.

Look at Europe. They have to buy licenses for specific areas and stretches of water. So the same river can be in 3 zones for example and if you wanted to fish it then guess what.... buy 3 licenses.

Imagine driving up the Kern and having to buy 2 licenses for the stretch from Kernville to JD bridge and another for above the bridge!
All these "new" ideas are leading to more resemblance toward the rules and lifestyles of Europe. Believe me I have been there many times.... You don't want to live like them!!!

What a SHMUK!

Artin

Try to research the subject Better before Going off..

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102428947

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ceq/initiatives/oceans/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2775574/espn_claims_obama_is_about_to_ban_fishing.html?cat+9

No U.S. President will ban Fishing, Ever.... It's actually in the Constitution that Citizens have the Right to Fish...

This is Just Some Conservative Yahoos singin "The Sky is Falling"..... That's all....

Research the issue before flying off half *.....
"...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Flyjunkie

Postby briansII » March 10th, 2010, 4:51 pm

wildfly wrote:
briansII wrote:This is a hot topic on every fly fishing forum I read. IMHO, just a little too much speculation going on right now, to get a clear picture of what's in store for us. I scanned over the document, and fear I may never know what it's all about.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/docume ... FINAL2.pdf

Clearly, this is turning into a politically divisive issue.

briansII

I didn't comment at all in my post here, mainly because of not really having the time to dissect the facts and find out what it all means. However, it was still an interesting read.

I agree. Very interesting. I am a bit surprised the issue hadn't been brought up here sooner. One of the largest tackle companies, have been vocal opposition for a while now.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... g-ban.html

There are a lot of other people debunking the "fishing ban" ideas. My thoughts are both sides have much to gain and lose, depending on what side of the political/economic isle you sit. Personally, I'm concerned, but not VERY concerned.

briansII
briansII

Postby jazz on the fly » March 10th, 2010, 5:18 pm

"The Chum" and a few others seem to believe that the ESPN report on this matter was some pretty bad reporting.

http://www.moldychum.com/home-old/tag/fish-politics

While I have not dissected the details at great length, my sense of logic and other things I have read tell me that this isn't very likely. Whether you like Obama (and his politics) or not, I think one thing is fairly clear that there are two very distinct facts at hand. Obama is a professional politician (which means his goal is to get reelected) and that he is a very intelligent man. I think destroying fishing access as we know it would be a very bad move politically on his part, because it would mobilize pretty much every angler against him (as well as any political opponent which felt they could use it against him) and I just don't see him doing that. Another bit that I read was this interview with the guide that took him out on the Gallatin and what I gleaned from that interview was that Obama is at that ever so familiar stage of discovering fly fishing and really developing an interest in it.

Here's the interview ...
http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2009/08/obama-wets-a-line-in-montana.html
jazz on the fly

Postby ldr » March 10th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Sasha wrote:Research the issue before flying off half *.....

There's your problem.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby Sasha » March 10th, 2010, 10:34 pm

ldr wrote:

There's your problem.

:? :? :? :? :? :? I have re-read my post a few times now, and I do not see that quoted line anywhere in my post :? :? :? :? :? :?
Sasha

Postby RSetina » March 10th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Flyjunkie wrote:
Artin wrote:WOW!

What a SHMUK!

Artin

Try to research the subject Better before Going off..

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102428947

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ceq/initiatives/oceans/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2775574/espn_claims_obama_is_about_to_ban_fishing.html?cat+9

No U.S. President will ban Fishing, Ever.... It's actually in the Constitution that Citizens have the Right to Fish...

This is Just Some Conservative Yahoos singin "The Sky is Falling"..... That's all....

Research the issue before flying off half *.....

Dean, I bet no one hear ever thought that they would stop stocking the lakes and rivers, ie, Casitas, Pyramid, et al, both sides of the San Gabriel Rivers, along with several more because they were once steelhead habitat. WHAT? Can anyone explain to me how in the heck any steelhead can get into the SG east and west forks anymore? How about into Pyramid Lake? They can't because the same government that stopped the stocking of trout in these areas put up the dams and barriers that stopped the steelhead runs, the same steelhead runs they say they are trying to protect. Does anyone here see the hypocrisy? I see there are a few. Don't stop to think that this plan of Obama's is nothing to be worried about because with this group of people in the White House you can never be sure what's around the corner. And if he can't get it done one way, he'll get it done another way. Can you say Executive Order? That's the way a Republic is run? We need change alright. But not the kind Obama is selling. Change has been needed for a long time and I don't mean only Obama. I could go on but I don't want to hijack this post.
Rick

Other Websites
TenkaraUSA
RSetina

Postby Artin » March 10th, 2010, 11:48 pm

Dean you're right,
It also is in the constitution.
With that said, I also want to add that it is common practice now a days to amend the constitution....
I did do some more research on this. I also read some of those links you posted.

It is unlikely, but not completely.
You see, if we as recreational fishermen are also targeted with the commercial bunch it would certainly be bad.
It will be done in a subtle manner. It wont be done over night...
It will be a small rule here and another there, over a few years time.... then maybe another restriction etc. 10-15 years from now things may be different.
It may be unlikely, but that kind of thing plants seeds for the future. Not necessarily immediate results.
If nothing is done to regulate the harvest of fish then we will all be effected I agree.
I also think that words can be dangerous. ;)
Imho

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby fly addict » March 11th, 2010, 8:09 am

Artin,
Well said, If it does happen it will be the same as gun control. Just a little here a little there. Next thing you know your screwed.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fly addict » March 11th, 2010, 8:14 am

Sasha wrote:
ldr wrote:

There's your problem.

:? :? :? :? :? :? I have re-read my post a few times now, and I do not see that quoted line anywhere in my post :? :? :? :? :? :?

Sasha,

Maybe ldr needs to do some more research on the issue!!! :lol:

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing