REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly Reels

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fly Reela

Postby fly addict » October 12th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Don,
If you want a Lamson radius 2, try Madison River Fishing Co. $99 bucks and it is a bargin at that price. They also have extra spools.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby stanbery » October 13th, 2009, 2:57 am

Don

Check out http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-reels.html

I have a GPX in 5/6 and the GP in 3/4 and I love them both.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby castaway » October 13th, 2009, 4:39 am

2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby RiverRat » October 13th, 2009, 5:31 am

fly addict wrote:Don,
If you want a Lamson radius 2, try Madison River Fishing Co. $99 bucks and it is a bargin at that price. They also have extra spools.

Mark

A Radius 2 for $99 buck is going to be hard to beat. Albright is new company and may not be around in the future. Who knows if they will survive or rebrand like they've already done once. Lamson products are true and time tested.

shane
RiverRat

Postby briansII » October 13th, 2009, 9:18 am

With the glut on the used market, personally, i'd look for a high end, lightly used reel. I've recently seen some good deals on Loops(fancy LA), and some of the old Sage reels made by Hardy(more traditional standard arbor). Some smokin' deals on Ross, Lamson, Abel and others.

briansII
briansII

Postby midger » October 13th, 2009, 6:38 pm

castaway wrote:Midger,

Could you post some pictures of your marryat classic with the guts exposed. I have the CMR, and they look identical?

I would imagine there is a difference with the drag system. The CMR uses a caliper with a tensioner... I would imagine the caliper pads could wear out over time... but I would be interested in the drag system on the Classic. Is it a cork drag?

Thanks
Bill

Both use similar drags, and probably the pads could wear out, but my 7.5 has been going since 1985 and has literally 100's of days on it with no problems other than a cleaning. For purposes of reel work, Archuleta is tops.

The internals are slightly different if you look closely. Made of different material actually. Here's a picture of an 8.5 I just stole on ebay--it shows the drag on the classic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230385481017&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby castaway » October 13th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Criminal... 70 bucks.

The drag on the classic looks a little "beefer". the caliper looks stronger and the drum looks thicker. Very nice.

I have the marryat cmr on my 5wt, would love to find one for my 3wt.

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby midger » October 13th, 2009, 6:55 pm

RiverRat wrote:Buncha BLING BLING flyfishermen aren't we?

But hey bling helps catch fish in some parts of the world...France maybe.

shane

One person's bling is another's go to reel. I won't fish an ugly reel no matter how cheap it is, but I don't judge a reel on it's cost, but rather it's performance. I personally think Albright will be around for a while--at least as long as Lamson. Lamson is a small Idaho company that could find itself on rough ground in today's economy. I've owned several over the years, my favorites being the old LP series. I just don't like the looks of their current crop. I guess not blingy enough for me, eh? ;) :lol:

There certainly are a lot of Lamson reels on sale now though. I just googled them up and there are several models marked way down, so if those light yer fires, you should have no problems getting a good deal on one.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby castaway » October 13th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Shane,

I know your not talking about me.... the guy who fishes in a wife beater.

castaway

Postby ldr » October 13th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Check out Fly Fishing Closeouts, Lamson, Hardy, Orvis...all in your price range.
http://www.flyshopcloseouts.com/

Larry
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Re: Fly Reel

Postby dharris1969 » October 15th, 2009, 7:39 am

Thanks to you all for the input, all are take into consideration. My budget may even go up a little to afford a "better" reel.
dharris1969

Re: Fly Reels

Postby darrin terry » October 15th, 2009, 9:30 am

Lots and lots of good reels to be found for under the $200 mark. I like my Galvan Torque, but don't know that I'll get myself to spend that kind of money again soon. Good luck.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby dharris1969 » October 15th, 2009, 10:05 am

Darrin Terry wrote:Lots and lots of good reels to be found for under the $200 mark. I like my Galvan Torque, but don't know that I'll get myself to spend that kind of money again soon. Good luck.

Oh no, I really want the Galvin Torque badly. I also need new ski bootst his season, so the CFO (errr wife) will not go for it.
dharris1969

Postby briansII » October 15th, 2009, 11:47 am

We should be seeing some new reels on the market soon. Probably, Dec/Jan. Might hold off and see what comes out, and at what price point.

briansII
briansII

Postby darrin terry » October 15th, 2009, 1:07 pm

True dat. When I got my Lamson Radius and spools it was Dec. 31 of last year that I placed the order. They were discounted due to the Guru replacing the Radius in Lamson's lineup.

I guess it depends in part on how long you can wait to buy the reel.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing