REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The Best Creekin' Rod

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: The Best Creekin' Rod

Postby meb » October 20th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I used a Scott 8'6" G 4 wt for my small creek fishing for a lot of years, and it was and is a great rod. However, I haven't fished it ever since I got a Sage LL 8'9" 3 wt which I really like.

Mark
meb

Postby dirtryder219 » October 20th, 2009, 7:58 pm

I must say that I love my TXL 1wt, but I think I might be looking into the 00wt to build in the near future. After seeing the action on the 00wt Craig was fishing this past weekend.....I think it would be rather FUN! Besides I can always use the 1wt as a backup right. :lol:

KC
If you actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
dirtryder219

Postby castaway » October 20th, 2009, 8:25 pm

I think we need to get a group together to decide the true best rod... tally the votes and publish the results.

1) Sage SLT 1, 0wts
2) Lamiglass
3) Sage TXL 0,00,000
4) Winston
5) Hardy glass
6) midge-a-boo type Boo
7) a wide variety of 7'6 to 8' 2,3wts.

Get about 10 guys to fish em... and rank em from 1 to 10. tally the results and publish. With a quick blurb/ pros and cons/ for each rod.

Would make a fine article. The ultra-light shoot out.

One question... I am a bushwacker... bow and arrow casts, flipping, crawling into position, etc.

and I have better "rod" control when using the short rod... easier to bow-and-arrow cast, less snagging the trees with tip-top, better for doign what ever it takes to get the fly on the water, easier to scramble down bolders with, etc...

I guess even for bushwacking people prefer the 7'6+ lengths?
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Pete » October 22nd, 2009, 3:32 pm

briansII wrote:We're talking, small, intimate creeks. Something you can step over, or 99.9% of the time, never get deeper than your knees.

briansII

With a creek that size, who cares if it can cast 25' to 70'. Or if it is a 000000000 or 8 wt. Bow and arrow cast or roll casting of a double haul doesn't fit on the creek size briansII is asking about. I stick with some mono tied on it will fish a tiny creek. Now that I've given all you guys some crap here is my idea of a small creek rod :D . Whatever length it takes to dap a little line to spooky fish is the right rod. Remember he said step over and never more than knee deep. Tell me you cast on a creek like briansII posted. There is no fighting time or feel to a rod on the fish caught in a creek that size. Oh FYI there is no other rod for those creeks than a Boo. End of discussion :booty: :D :D .

That Blue Ridge Lamiglas Shane mentioned is a sweet rod.

Pete
Pete

Postby briansII » October 22nd, 2009, 3:58 pm

Pete wrote:
briansII wrote:We're talking, small, intimate creeks. Something you can step over, or 99.9% of the time, never get deeper than your knees.

briansII

With a creek that size, who cares if it can cast 25' to 70'. Or if it is a 000000000 or 8 wt. Bow and arrow cast or roll casting of a double haul doesn't fit on the creek size briansII is asking about. I stick with some mono tied on it will fish a tiny creek. Now that I've given all you guys some crap here is my idea of a small creek rod :D . Whatever length it takes to dap a little line to spooky fish is the right rod. Remember he said step over and never more than knee deep. Tell me you cast on a creek like briansII posted. There is no fighting time or feel to a rod on the fish caught in a creek that size. Oh FYI there is no other rod for those creeks than a Boo. End of discussion :booty: :D :D .

That Blue Ridge Lamiglas Shane mentioned is a sweet rod.

Pete

Hey buddy! 60' casts in a strong cross wind............ :fireangry: :fireangry:

Ok, so maybe 20' with a slight breeze. :oops:

briansII
briansII

Postby castaway » October 22nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Mr. II,

Last time I was up there they had the entire road in that area under construction (if my spider senses serve me right)... had to keep going past the boundary - to the next park - I think first campground on the right... drove to the back and hiked up the trail maybe 1/2 mile... Very nice place to catch brookies to your harts content - but dangerously close to the yahoo's its amazing what a little rock hopping will do.

Twas my first experience with little creek brookies... They are absolutely mean... most aggresive trout I have come across - even more so than the over eager litttle goldens.

On the creek Brian posted - I think part of the fun on that creek would be trying to see how long of a cast you could make into the "creek" the longer the better - would make for some fine creek side competition.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing